Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt?

Tools    

Just have to hear peoples opinion. Sick and tired of hearing this discussion over and over so have to get it over with.

Here's Johnny!
johnny depp by a long shot, was very cool in Once Upon a Time in Mexico and Pirates of the Carribbean

Cant say I agree. And these two movies is honestly not his best. "Edward Scissorhands", and "Gilbert Grape" is two of my favourite Depp-movies. Not saying that Pirates and Once Upon a Time in Mexico was bad

Pitt got some awasome movies to refer to. Like: "Snatch", "Oceans Eleven", "Spy Game", "Se7en", "Fight Club" and "12 Monkeys". All of them, very good movies indeed.

history *is* moralizing
i'd rather talk to Johnny, though i may fear some arrogance. i'd rather look like Brad (who sez i don't??).

nobody buy you could have asked such a question.

none of them!

history *is* moralizing
look at the avatar! don't ya recognize Brad?

"Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt?"
to whomever would ask me something like that, anyway, I'd say Billy Bob Thornton!

I am having a nervous breakdance
Johnny Depp is an actor that seeks new challenges and interesting projects and who is trying to reinvent himself all the time. Pitt wants to be cool. And he is a lot of times, but he is way too limited and shallow as an actor to play in Depp's league. Depp has weaknesses too, but I think he is the more interesting actor out of the two.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

history *is* moralizing
i thought Pitt only wanted to be cool too before i saw Fight Club and then i heard his comments on the movie too, and really he was far from dumb, or shallow. maybe Depp played another league from the beginning, playing in alternative movies, like Jarmush's etc. which gave him a totally different image.

I am not talking about Pitt as a person but about him as an actor. Or really about Pitt as a moviestar. Fight Club is just another example of Pitt being Pitt, imo. Your comment about image I don't quite get. If Depp acts in good movies and does it well, isn't that making him a good or interesting actor rather than just being something that improves his image in some people's eyes? I don't think Pitt has the depth as an actor to do roles like Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood or Raoul Duke. Or maybe he (or his agent) sees projects as that as being too risky for his career, something that may harm his image as a sex symbol. I just think that Brad Pitt is more interested in being Brad Pitt than reaching his full potential as an actor. Not saying that he's bad though...

I think Pitt plays more interesting roles than Depp. Examples of such performances are; Death in Meet Joe Black; an alter ego in Fight Club. I think Depp adapts to his characters more than Pitt, making for a better performance. I think both are very talented actors, but when it comes to looks...Johnny Depp all the way.

I think you're right, Gummo, about Depp adapting to his characters more, and I guess that is why I find him more interesting. And don't get me wrong. The character in Fight Club is interesting and I think Pitt is doing a good job. If it was the first film I ever saw him in I would possibly think he was fantastic. It's just that I get the feeling that it's just Brad Pitt doing the same old Pitt performance.

history *is* moralizing
"If Depp acts in good movies and does it well, isn't that making him a good or interesting actor"
hei Pidzilla, i do think too that Depp is a great actor. i especially loved him in Dead Man and appreciated his humor in LA Without a Map (but he definitely was being himself, i think).
how far can an actor distance himself from his personality, for a role? doesn't Pitt use the way he is (that "coolness" for example) just like Depp does? i don't mean the whole of a personality (after all, they don't always play the same characters) but parts of it? so are the differences between both not more based on different personalities rather than acting talent?

Hey... why not pick both Johnny Depp & Brad Pitt?

Randomly visiting for now
you could pick both but then that would be a draw and we paid for BLOOOD

Seriously though I think both have had great performances but Johnny Depp is a bit more versatile in the way he acts, meaning he can perform in a lot of separate roles and do them all well. Brad seems to have been pigeon-holed somehow into the cool tough guy, he just doesn't portray enough emotion to the viewer for him to be as good as Depp. Brad's recent roles seem all too typical whereas Depp's seem interesting and compelling. So at present Depp is the winner for me *fans cheer loudly

Bad Morther****er
Brad Pitt is avery good actor, but he's not even on the same level as Depp. Depp's range is almost untouchable. From film to film Depp takes on characters, and makes choices that few actors would, or could, and yet pulls them off flawlessly. Depp's talent is one that must be charished, because it is so rare. Pitt vs, Depp is as lopsided as a one legged man in an asskicking competition.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
"If Depp acts in good movies and does it well, isn't that making him a good or interesting actor"
hei Pidzilla, i do think too that Depp is a great actor. i especially loved him in Dead Man and appreciated his humor in LA Without a Map (but he definitely was being himself, i think).
how far can an actor distance himself from his personality, for a role? doesn't Pitt use the way he is (that "coolness" for example) just like Depp does? i don't mean the whole of a personality (after all, they don't always play the same characters) but parts of it? so are the differences between both not more based on different personalities rather than acting talent?
I don't know, especially when it comes to body language I think Pitt has a few things up his sleeve that he uses in most his films. I don't know how far it is possible to distance oneself from one's personality, but it seems like Depp is at least trying harder than Pitt (in my opinion).

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by Urban Cowboy
Pitt vs, Depp is as lopsided as a one legged man in an asskicking competition.
haven't heard that one before but that's a little too onesided. Look at Meeting Joe Black, Fight Club and Oceans Eleven, I mean he did a pretty good job I thought, so maybe not that lopsided for me. Depp's still better of course I'm not Disputing that.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Johnny Depp is an actor that seeks new challenges and interesting projects and who is trying to reinvent himself all the time. Pitt wants to be cool. And he is a lot of times, but he is way too limited and shallow as an actor to play in Depp's league. Depp has weaknesses too, but I think he is the more interesting actor out of the two.
Hey, that is what I was going to say. Ooooooooo