The Handmaid's Tale

Tools    

Tonight is the final episode of this season. Sure am gonna miss it, but there’ll be another season.

Can’t wait to stream it this evening for the denouément.

We got it here last week, so I've already seen it. It's quite a finale for the season!!
What did you think of it?

The Adventure Starts Here!
What did you think of it?
I spent a lot of this season getting my head around the fact that so much of it did NOT take place in Gilead. And I appreciate that they didn't gloss over any PTSD symptoms that June (or others) might have had.

WARNING: "Season finale spoilerish thoughts" spoilers below
But the very end-ending made me wonder (as June has inevitably led so many other survivors into her dark places now) if we will be coaxed into ending our unwavering support for June and most of her choices.

It was, though, a gratifying season finale in many ways. Left open some very important points (will Luke be able to stay with this version of June? will he let her leave? will they ever get Hannah back?) and yet they clearly ended some things in blunt ways (goodbye, Commander!).

So many questions left to answer in this series (what about Nick? will he get out of Gilead and pair up with June and their daughter? will Gilead ever fall? will babies be able to be conceived normally by most people again?)... but I hope they don't drag everything out for, say, another three or four seasons. It's starting to feel like a natural conclusion could be closer rather than further away. And that's fine with me.

I'm wondering if June will end up going back to Gilead to get Hannah, perhaps aided by Nick, and then all three of them escape back to Canada...

I spent a lot of this season getting my head around the fact that so much of it did NOT take place in Gilead. And I appreciate that they didn't gloss over any PTSD symptoms that June (or others) might have had.

WARNING: "Season finale spoilerish thoughts" spoilers below
But the very end-ending made me wonder (as June has inevitably led so many other survivors into her dark places now) if we will be coaxed into ending our unwavering support for June and most of her choices.

It was, though, a gratifying season finale in many ways. Left open some very important points (will Luke be able to stay with this version of June? will he let her leave? will they ever get Hannah back?) and yet they clearly ended some things in blunt ways (goodbye, Commander!).

So many questions left to answer in this series (what about Nick? will he get out of Gilead and pair up with June and their daughter? will Gilead ever fall? will babies be able to be conceived normally by most people again?)... but I hope they don't drag everything out for, say, another three or four seasons. It's starting to feel like a natural conclusion could be closer rather than further away. And that's fine with me.

I'm wondering if June will end up going back to Gilead to get June, perhaps aided by Nick, and then all three of them escape back to Canada...
Brilliant ending. Wondering if Tuello will get into trouble for this? I need him to hook up with Serena. You know he wants to.

They’re saying next season will be the last. What would work for me is June gets Hannah back to Luke. June stays with Nick & their baby. But … what to do with Nick’s secret second wife? Does he have kids with her?

Janine has to end up happy in the show. I think we can all agree on this. Undecided about Aunt Lydia. Is she going to end up similar to Fred?

I used spoilers because I wasn't sure if you had seen it yet.

AGREED on Janine, and I think you might be right about Hannah. Last we saw, Hannah was actually afraid of June, but she'd have nothing but good memories of Luke. Maybe Moira could help raise Hannah too... a sort of familial commune there. I'd forgotten about Nick's wife! We'd heard nothing about kids, so maybe that won't be a complication.

I'm also undecided on Aunt Lydia. Once in a while she seems redeemable, but then falls back into Gilead ways. But I'm never sure if her heart of hearts is in it. I might have to rewatch that episode that gave us her backstory. I'd be okay no matter which way they ended her story. And Lawrence... well... he's another slippery one, though he's also a complete opportunist. He's constantly swaying whichever way the wind blows.

I'd forgotten about Nick's wife! We'd heard nothing about kids, so maybe that won't be a complication.
Don’t forget it’s Nick’s second wife. His first wife committed adultery due to Nick’s lack of interest in her & her subsequent murder was one of the most disturbing scenes in the entire show.

We only know Nick is remarried because he hid his ring from June. Gilead wives are supposed to pop out babies frequently so it wouldn’t surprise me that he has a child. No idea what June’s reaction will be to his remarriage. Much better if he had actually told her.

I’m fine with Commander Lawrence coming out ok. He was a super husband to his late wife & he helped June get all those kids out. I would say he’s a survivor & that’s ok.

You ready? You look ready.
This is one of those shows that ruins the book. Through and through.

It's amazing what studios will waste money on these days.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

This is one of those shows that ruins the book. Through and through.

It's amazing what studios will waste money on these days.
I did enjoy the book, but haven't read the recent sequel yet.

I'm letting this series be its own thing now that they've completely gone off the rails past the original book. Unsure *what* is in the sequel book and I'll eventually read it, but I'm in no hurry.

I did enjoy the book, but haven't read the recent sequel yet.
I read the book once, but never again after watching the first season because all I see in my mind is a train wreck of epic proportions. Zero interest in the sequel now, too.

I honestly don't get why this show is so popular, but I think the lack of decent programming is largely to blame. I do believe there were political motivations behind the green lighting of it. But geez, it's just undeniably bad.

As much as I disliked GoT at least it was written well, cast well, and paced appropriately.

Let me know when Junes dies. I'd like to see that episode.

I I honestly don't get why this show is so popular, but I think the lack of decent programming is largely to blame. I do believe there were political motivations behind the green lighting of it. But geez, it's just undeniably bad.
To each his own. Nobody’s forcing you to watch it.

Me, I’ve loved it.

To each his own. Nobody’s forcing you to watch it.
Now there's a good idea for a show! A civilization that forces young people to watch awful shows and soap operas!

I just think the biggest issue I take with the show is all the accolades. If it's truly to each their own then the accolades should mean nothing. I mean, most accolades do mean nothing, but from the way this show is talked about there's a serious disconnect.

A civilization that forces young people to watch awful shows and soap operas!
It exists. The United States of America! 🇺🇸

Now there's a good idea for a show! A civilization that forces young people to watch awful shows and soap operas!

I just think the biggest issue I take with the show is all the accolades. If it's truly to each their own then the accolades should mean nothing. I mean, most accolades do mean nothing, but from the way this show is talked about there's a serious disconnect.

I think all the talk and accolades are about the subject matter and not always about the execution of the subject matter. If you've read reviews throughout the series, you'll remember that there was a lot of "meh" reaction to a few of the seasons in the middle, where everyone seemed annoyed that June kept refusing to leave Gilead when she had opportunity, over and over again. It did feel at times as if they were simply stretching out the show to keep people watching.

It's finally feeling like they've pushed past that, though, and things are on a forward trajectory.

CONFESSION TIME: I fast-forwarded past the....
WARNING: "[COLOR="Black" spoilers below
....happy family flashback scenes from the old days as I found they jarred me out of the glorious mire of palpably bleak misogyny and utterly despondent misery. I can score that bog-standard happy sappy bollocks on any telly show, I'm just here to mainline the high-grade misery thank you very much.

Bitterly disappointed in Season 3 though.

The main screenhog handmaid was allowed FAR too much leeway with her insulting public displays of brazenly insubordinate language and her generally insolent comportment. WHERE was Aunt Lydia and her magisterial cattle prod to correct these glib displays of public insouciance? WHERE? ANSWER ME.

Season 4 and Dear Aunt Lydia administered precious little in the way of corporal punishment and bloodthirsty beatings compared to S1. The slut child should have been made to pay dearly for her impudent transgressions. Savage, savage administrations of punitive justice are the righteous path to salvation, that much is inarguable.
  • Cranking Bowie's "Suffragette City" as the ladies poisoned the "Commander" wankers at their own rowdy shagfest party? That was just too perfect.

• The white-bearded Commanders perfectly-executed 180-ethical heel turns are pretty outrageous.

• How the hell did Liz Moss stay so fat on the starvation diet in Gilead? Like those fat millenials in The Walking Dead, 10 years on the lam and they look like pringles addicts too.

• When June went to visit preggers Serena I was 80% certain she was going to shiv her in the belly and terminate the Eva Braunian pregnancy. JUST DO IT. FFS just put everyone out of their misery. In her meeting with the Commander after she found out he'd flipped, was also sure she would stab a knitting needle through his eye or something

• Although was wondering in final episode how come June didnt negotiate for her daughter to be included in the 22 for the prisoner exchange?

OH, FREDDY.

What a glorious grisly denouement for Freddy The Flipper.

Next season will surely open with Serena Joy BACK in Gilead where she's a handmaid clutched in the loving, lysolic embrace of dearest, dearest Aunt Lydia.[/color]

⬆️ Elisabeth Moss is not fat.
There is no shame in being fat.

It’s back for its penultimate series. Two strong episodes in & both directed by Elisabeth Moss.

I’m enjoying season 5, but this show has got to come to an end. Turns out it won’t end until season 6. Can hardly fathom how they’re gonna drag this out this long.