Can you explain the appeal of alt-country to me?

Tools    

... I'm looking for a description of the appeal to it and what a fan may get from listening to specifically alt-country.
Alt country is less 'country' and more 'pop'. Alt country is country for younger generations and each generation wants their own styles, including music. It's always been that way, at least since the start of the 20th century.

Alt country is less 'country' and more 'pop'. Alt country is country for younger generations and each generation wants their own styles, including music. It's always been that way, at least since the start of the 20th century.

OK, this helps, but if you're an alt-country fan, what is it you like/love about it? More specifically, artists like Magnolia Electric Co., 16 Horsepower, Lucinda Williams and Steve Earle?

Duplicate Account (locked)
I don't expect an all-encompassing answer, but I would love one. As an aspiring critic, it's my goal to understand and fairly critique every known genre that I can. There are a couple thousand alt-country albums in this world, and some of them are huge hits. But to me, much of it, like the Lucinda Williams catalog and the Magnolia Electric Co. album are so repetitive. What do alt-country fans get from the music?

I hope any alt-country fans here can get as in-depth as possible, using specific artists as examples. This is a reviews site, to be fair. Also: THIS IS NOT ASKING FOR SPECIFIC RECOMMENDATIONS.

I find a lot of genres to be overly repetitive, that's the only beef i have with rap music as sometimes i really love it.

OK, this helps, but if you're an alt-country fan, what is it you like/love about it? More specifically, artists like Magnolia Electric Co., 16 Horsepower, Lucinda Williams and Steve Earle?
I'm not really a fan of alt country. I don't have anything against it though, it's just not my thing.