What was the last horror film that scared you?

Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Watched the critically acclaimed horror film Hereditary last week and there was definitely some freaky moments. Since most of us are adults, I can assume that horror films don't really have that lasting impact when it comes to scaring us as much as they did when we were younger. So I was wondering, what was the last scary movie you walked out of and thought: "yeah, that is going to be engraved in my brain for a while?". This is going to sound nuts, but I miss the feeling of walking out of a movie theater terrified and sleeping with the lights on.

For me: well...
Hereditary actually came kinda close, there's definitely some very freaky imagery I still think about a week after watching the film.
The Witch in 2015 had an ending that really shook me, I still think about that till this day.
The Conjuring in 2013 scared the bejesus out of me during the film, although I was perfectly fine after the theater.
Sinister in 2012 had some spine-chilling sequences with terrifying music.
Insidious in 2011 was the last film that actually traumatized me, I couldn't sleep for a few weeks after watching that. lol.

There are obviously some amazing horror films that build up tension amazingly, A Quite Place, Conjuring 2, It Comes at Night, Get Out.

But I'm talking about those films that you close your eyes at night and you just see that one shot of the film and it won't let you sleep.

I would say Don't Breathe a couple years ago has probably got the best of me most recently. Not a great film overall, but good enough to scare and leave me on edge for a bit.

I watched "Afterlife" and after watching this movie I got temperature, literally

hmmn, been a while but probably The Conjuring for me.

The Witch in 2015 had an ending that really shook me, I still think about that till this day.
On that subject it shook me when

WARNING: spoilers below
I saw that they'd given away the ending on the Blu-ray cover. No sense at all.

The Conjuring in 2013 scared the bejesus out of me during the film, although I was perfectly fine after the theater.
It was definitely scary but what I liked about it was that Farmiga and Wilson were such a reassuring presence. I'm looking forward to seeing the second one. The Entity is much scarier for me, and there's much less concrete help for the victim.

But I'm talking about those films that you close your eyes at night and you just see that one shot of the film and it won't let you sleep.
Some of Alien: Covenant affected me afterwards. You can read why on the dedicated page .

The last few i watched didn't. But these did, so i took my retirement from horror movies.

This might just do nobody any good.
I can’t really remember, unless I can count the last episode of Twin Peaks: The Return.

Maybe Berberian Sound Studio, which isn’t strictly speaking horror but it’s close.

I would say Don't Breathe a couple years ago has probably got the best of me most recently. Not a great film overall, but good enough to scare and leave me on edge for a bit.
Don't Breathe is one of those films that just builds suspense so masterfully, I was on the edge of my seat practically the whole time.

I watched "Afterlife" and after watching this movie I got temperature, literally
Haven't seen the film, but the stills I saw online are definitely very arresting.

hmmn, been a while but probably The Conjuring for me.
The Conjuring is one of my favorite movies of all time. That scene were the witch appears on top of the wardrobe actually f'ed up so bad.

On that subject it shook me when

I saw that they'd given away the ending on the Blu-ray cover. No sense at all.

I don't think the cover is really a spoiler without the context of the film.

It was definitely scary but what I liked about it was that Farmiga and Wilson were such a reassuring presence. I'm looking forward to seeing the second one. The Entity is much scarier for me, and there's much less concrete help for the victim.
All of the yes! Their chemistry is unmatched. It's a horror film with real character.

Some of Alien: Covenant affected me afterwards. You can read why on the dedicated page .
It actually didn't scare me at all, although there were some very intense sequences, let me read up on your take.

The last few i watched didn't. But these did, so i took my retirement from horror movies.

Funny thing about REC is that I remember watching it when I was eight with my cousins. We wanted to freak ourselves out and we put on the film. Once the film started I was so confused, I thought my cousin didn't want to play a scary movie and just turned on the T.V to the news channel. What happened next freaked me out so much, my eight year old a$$ was so freaked out for several weeks afterwards. I need to re-watch this soon.

I can’t really remember, unless I can count the last episode of Twin Peaks: The Return.

Maybe Berberian Sound Studio, which isn’t strictly speaking horror but it’s close.
is horror a genre you like a lot?

For me it was compounded by the other one. Watched them all in a week. Movies are not worth losing sleep over!!

Semi-Pro Movie Complainer
The Witch (2016) as well as The Wailing (Korean, 2016) were both very solid modern horror movies!

This might just do nobody any good.
is horror a genre you like a lot?
I don’t have an aversion to it. I don’t have a genre of preference.

I don't think the cover is really a spoiler without the context of the film.
I'll explain :

The cover features the silhouette of a young woman. We only see one character fitting that description in the film. I had it in mind that it was customary for a corrupted young woman to appear naked before the Devil (something like that also happened with Eva Green's Morgan in the Camelot series) so it was quite easy to work out where it was going. Great sequence that too, with the levitating witches.

All of the yes! Their chemistry is unmatched. It's a horror film with real character.
I've always liked Vera Farmiga but Patrick Wilson's really grown on me over time the more I've seen of him. I only fancy one of them though – I'll let you work out which .

It actually didn't scare me at all, although there were some very intense sequences, let me read up on your take.
Yes, do – when I say it affected me I was disturbed rather than scared, but you'll understand the reason when you read it.

I'll explain :

The cover features the silhouette of a young woman. We only see one character fitting that description in the film. I had it in mind that it was customary for a corrupted young woman to appear naked before the Devil (something like that also happened with Eva Green's Morgan in the Camelot series) so it was quite easy to work out where it was going. Great sequence that too, with the levitating witches.

Ohh, I thought you meant the Blu-Ray cover that features Black Phillip the goat. Me=Stupid. Now I know you're talking about the other one. Yes, I agree, if a person had a bit of knowledge on the era it could be easy to piece together.

I've always liked Vera Farmiga but Patrick Wilson's really grown on me over time the more I've seen of him. I only fancy one of them though – I'll let you work out which .
Ohh, I mean both of them are good looking people so you wouldn't have an argument from me either way. But Vera Farmiga is one stunning woman, so I'm going to guess her. She really is one of my favorite actresses in Hollywood.

Yes, do – when I say it affected me I was disturbed rather than scared, but you'll understand the reason when you read it.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but I can't seem to find it, could you link me? GAAAH