World Cup Soccer 2018

Tools    

I am going to give Fox one or two days, if they use American commentators for the matches, i am going to get an IPTV connection for a month and watch it on BT/ITV.

Stuart Holden, John Strong, Warren Barton, Eric Wynalda, Alexi Lalas.... yikes. A bunch of idiots!

It will be interesting for sure. Just hope the delays wont kill the flow. Coz the way it was implemented, is just time consuming. I will look at the article though.

I’m confused. Is it wrong to call football soccer?
the world calls the game as football . soccer is the american name for it , but americans form only 2 percent of world population .

I’m confused. Is it wrong to call football soccer?
I've just read a little bit about it and interestingly it seems that the term "soccer", which was English anyway, derives from "association" as in the official name of the sport, Association Football. It just depends where you are but calling it soccer in the UK today would sound quite weird.

Right, I knew the derivation of soccer so I was confused as to why I shouldn’t use that word. I’ve lived in America so long that I am out-of-touch with modern lingo.

I am going to give Fox one or two days, if they use American commentators for the matches, i am going to get an IPTV connection for a month and watch it on BT/IT
I’m gonna stream it from Fox on my iPad & husband will watch it on his telly. I always liked ESPN’s coverage - some good British commentary - but I don’t think after all my years here that it will bother me if the coverage is all-American.

It was soccer and a Brit term for sure. But its usage faded away in the 1860s or 70s, since then it always has been football. The American football association or federation was founded in 1884. But when NFL came along in the early 1910 they co-existed for a while. Then NFL forced the real football folks to change the name to Soccer, since then US has stuck with the old word. So in a way, football is older helmet/pads football in US.

Right, I knew the derivation of soccer so I was confused as to why I shouldn’t use that word. I’ve lived in America so long that I am out-of-touch with modern lingo.
Oh I should ask, would you have been a Birmingham City or Aston Villa fan ?

I’m gonna stream it from Fox on my iPad & husband will watch it on his telly. I always liked ESPN’s coverage - some good British commentary - but I don’t think after all my years here that it will bother me if the coverage is all-American.

I wouldn't have cared much. But the folks they use are just not knowledgeable enough and also have a hard time pronouncing the name. They just cant analyze a match in that great a detail. ESPN was brilliant last time around.

Oh I should ask, would you have been a Birmingham City or Aston Villa fan ?
Neither. The only time I watch football (!) is during the World Cup.

So these guy rubiales is a rubbish lol, Spanish fa with scandal just two days before world cup
Okay, what are we talking about here?

So these guy rubiales is a rubbish lol, Spanish fa with scandal just two days before world cup
Okay, what are we talking about here?
their coach julian lopetugui been announced as new madrid coach - and because of that negotiation done underhand , it led spanish fa furious and sack him

*sigh* and all just a couple of days after I put my pennies on España to win the bloody thing
Oh well, c'est la vida as they say.

Should we all have a bet as to the final winner?
Funny you say that, I'm running a wager spreadsheet among some people. If Yoda doesn't mind wagering going on, here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1128792936

For mine, I'll only take two types of wagers:
Will x team make round of 16 (Prize of 10 USD if "yes")
Will x team win world cup (prize of 100 USD if "yes")

Max of 2 wagers (I don't want to pay out that much!) and only 1 person is allowed to take any particular team for the "win it all" (i.e. there will only be on person that gets the $100 prize).

The cost of a ticket per bet is the %chance of its occurrence via 538's model: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...p-predictions/

If you think the model undervalues a specific team's chances, that's where you'd want to bet!

The sum of the prices is exactly 100 dollars for the world cup winner, so there's no inherent house advantage.

Again, only if there's not weirdness about having wagering going on, I'll take it down if needed. I just like the world cup but I don't have a team to really pull for and I like low stakes bets so that I start to care about outcomes!

Great idea, but too complicated for me. I was thinking just to call the winner. We’re all over the world here so it could make things complicated, not to mention currency differences.

*sigh* and all just a couple of days after I put my pennies on España to win the bloody thing
Oh well, c'est la vida as they say.
But that’s the thing with the WC. You never know what is going to happen. All that matters is what happens that day. I would imagine they will beat Portugal on Friday, but, really, who knows?

I think it will be France. But I do hope Brazil do it. 6th would be nice. Germany and Italy are just too close for comfort.