The Videogames Tab

Tools    

I think they said preorders started on the 15th, so I've got a few days to make my peace with spending the money or going without. But definitely some kinda preorder to get in on the beta, assuming that's how it works.

I'm still kinda shocked I never bought the pip-boy edition of F4. Might try to find a used one on eBay...

The People's Republic of Clogher
I think they said preorders started on the 15th, so I've got a few days to make my peace with spending the money or going without. But definitely some kinda preorder to get in on the beta, assuming that's how it works.

I'm still kinda shocked I never bought the pip-boy edition of F4. Might try to find a used one on eBay...
If I do, it'll be the standard edition. The only thing is what platform?

I've played a fair bit of Fallout 4 on PS4 now and ended up buying a physical copy of the GOTY because it was cheaper than getting just the season pass digitally - All that's in the box is the base game on disc and a code for the rest of the DLC.

You're definitely getting it for PC, right? I think I'll go down that route too, as I always have initially with Bethesda.

Noclip's video on the making of 76 is out tomorrow, by the way. I saw Danny in the audience at the Bethesda press conference, lucky sod.

Forgot to mention earlier - Spent an hour with Vampyr last night and will play a more decent chunk tonight.

First impressions: Great looking, atmospheric (picture VTM Bloodlines set in the Sherlock Holmes game universe), verbose, bad combat. In other words, a bit like an emo Remember Me.

It feels weird, as being neither the biggest fan of shooters and really not a fan of gore, to be by far the most excited about another DOOM game out of the confirmed things so far.

I can't believe how fun that game is, and how much it ruined other shooters for me.

You know, I never played a Just Cause game. But I might just start with Just Cause 4.

Everything I've heard about Starfield says that it's running on the Skyrim engine. I'd be surprised if it's not released next year for current platforms - By 'next gen' they could well just be referring to refinements they've made for their tech.

TES VI, however, seems a way off.

Bethesda, huh? From a medium sized RPG focused company a decade ago to one of the big boys with multiple studios and interesting franchises.

Yeah, I read that Starfield might be the game Todd mentioned was in pre-production a while ago. Yet I don't recall anything about it being on the same engine. I doubt it'll be out next year. I'm going with a 2020 date at the earliest.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Forgot to mention earlier - Spent an hour with Vampyr last night and will play a more decent chunk tonight.

First impressions: Great looking, atmospheric (picture VTM Bloodlines set in the Sherlock Holmes game universe), verbose, bad combat. In other words, a bit like an emo Remember Me.
I actually remember enjoying Remember Me's combat. The game itself was just, ironically, forgettable.

You know, I never played a Just Cause game. But I might just start with Just Cause 4.
If you're unsure, I reckon you can get 2 cheap. Your reaction to that is almost certain to mirror your reaction to the others.

It feels weird, as being neither the biggest fan of shooters and really not a fan of gore, to be by far the most excited about another DOOM game out of the confirmed things so far.

I can't believe how fun that game is, and how much it ruined other shooters for me.
Hmm, you much of a shooter guy? I wasn't interested but this has me wondering if I should give it a go. Not usually into intense shooters.

I actually remember enjoying Remember Me's combat. The game itself was just, ironically, forgettable.
I remember it as being very stiff, Vampyr's similarly so and a reminder of the 360/PS3 generation. The memory stuff in Remember Me was a really neat mechanic but, yeah, I can't recall too much of what actually happened in the game.

In other Dontnod news, turns out that Captain Spirit is a one-off free (some people were positing that it might be a free first episode only) game which serves as a prequel for Life Is Strange 2.

Life os Strange, of course, stars noted MoFo alumnus Cissy Jones!

The rest of the Squeenix presser didn't contain a whole lot for me to get excited about. Gameplay from the new Tomb Raider, Dragon Quest, Nier on Xbox finally and Kingdom effing Hearts. Don't think they even mentioned the FFVII remake.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I remember it as being very stiff, Vampyr's similarly so and a reminder of the 360/PS3 generation. The memory stuff in Remember Me was a really neat mechanic but, yeah, I can't recall too much of what actually happened in the game.

In other Dontnod news, turns out that Captain Spirit is a one-off free (some people were positing that it might be a free first episode only) game which serves as a prequel for Life Is Strange 2.

Life os Strange, of course, stars noted MoFo alumnus Cissy Jones!

The rest of the Squeenix presser didn't contain a whole lot for me to get excited about. Gameplay from the new Tomb Raider, Dragon Quest, Nier on Xbox finally and Kingdom effing Hearts. Don't think they even mentioned the FFVII remake.
What I find curious is that Life is Strange, ultimately, put Dontnod back on-track after Remember Me delivered only "okay" sales, and yet, Life is Strange 2's graphics will likely be nowhere near what Vampyr's are. Life is Strange has a certain visual style to it, but hopefully they spruce up Life is Strange 2 majorly compared to the first game's bad lip-synch and choppy aesthetic.

I look forward to the new Tomb Raider. I really liked Rise of the Tomb Raider, even though it was buggier than I would've liked.

I actually just finished Nier: Automata recently. I really, really like the soundtrack and some of the visuals, but it's mostly just an average-game overall.

Kingdom Hearts is a series I don't really care for. I thought the first one was fun, even if it had horrible camera-angles, but Kingdom Hearts II was so repetitive and dull. I'll still play 3, but I'm definitely not as excited as what such an idea should make me.

Would love for us to get more about FFVII. In-fact, I would've loved Capcom to update on the RE2 remake.

Pretty sure that Life is Strange and Vampyr are from two different Dontnod teams. EDIT - Yeah, they are. Raoul Barbet and Michel Koch for LiS and Philippe Moraeu for Vampyr. Different artists.

“I was cured, all right!”
A new Devil May Cry video-game. Anyone excited?

I am somewhat excited. I've only played the first on PlayStation 2 and the one that (coincidentally) Ninja Theory developed with DMC. I didn't like DMC much and the first Ninja Gaiden was only okay, in my opinion.

DMC is my favorite franchise.
I'm freaking excited!!!

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Pretty sure that Life is Strange and Vampyr are from two different Dontnod teams. EDIT - Yeah, they are. Raoul Barbet and Michel Koch for LiS and Philippe Moraeu for Vampyr. Different artists.
But my point was about how Life is Strange is a large money-maker and you'd think they'd throw more money at it to make sure it's properly polished.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I am finally finishing up Agony and I'm having to resist the urge to rip my hair out at some of the blatant glitches in it. It doesn't help that I have an abscessed tooth, the second one in a month. A couple weeks ago, I had one yanked out from my mouth, and now, it looks like I may very well have to have another one yanked if they can't save it.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I think LiS looks great. I certainly prefer its art style to Vampyr's.
The art style is fine, a little choppy, but fine. The enormously glitched animation and horrible lip-synching is more what I meant.

It's not much better in Vampyr, in fact some of the animations are PS2 quality. They're not a large studio, I guess, but Captain Spirit looks more polished if the trailer contains in-engine content.

Anybody here played the Friday the 13th game? I'm not much of a gamer, the last one I played was Resident Evil 4 and I never even finished it. But that was on a PS2. I've never played on a PC unless you count Monkey Island. I heard this was cool but buggy, and then they released something called "offline" mode, for single players - which would be more my bag. I can't think of anything worse than having to get online and play with other people. Not at this stage. I'll be adopting the sh*tting my pants and pressing all the buttons at the same time style - that's kind of the way I roll.

Advice? I thought it might be good to kill my Friday the 13th obsession and give myself something different with something like this.