Director of the Month Project

→ in
Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Thanks once again for flexibility. I' ve found Shanghai Express so far. I would like to watch also I take this woman with Spencer Tracy I hope I will find this movie somewhere.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Thanks once again for flexibility. I' ve found Shanghai Express so far. I would like to watch also I take this woman with Spencer Tracy I hope I will find this movie somewhere.
we have a month and then camo will gather us all up and we'll sort out the movie list and, there are some great people here to help locate a film for ya, should you need assistance in that.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
we have a month and then camo will gather us all up and we'll sort out the movie list and, there are some great people here to help locate a film for ya, should you need assistance in that.
Ok Thanks

Me and Sean are reviving this We are going for...

Hitchcock! Since the month has already started and with the holidays and all we'll set the deadline for the end of January, maybe we'll finish before then but it's good to have that extra time as it's a busy time of the year of course.

Would love it if others were to join us so if you are interested you are more than welcome. Will probably mention a few i think may be interested tomorrow. Remember this isn't a committment thing, you can join in with one or two, you don't have to watch them all.

The four films are:

The Lodger (1927)

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)

Sabotage (1936)

Lifeboat (1944)

I've seen a fair number of Hitch's films, but none of his silents. I haven't seen Sabotage (1936) and would like to, so I'll try to watch that one as it has Sylvia Sydney, but can't promise I'll get to it.

I've seen a fair number of Hitch's films, but none of his silents. I haven't seen Sabotage (1936) and would like to, so I'll try to watch that one as it has Sylvia Sydney, but can't promise I'll get to it.
It's cool if you don't, it is open until the end of January so maybe you'll find the time. That and Family Plot were my picks. Sabotage because i'm watching 30's films and Family Plot both because i own it and that while it's generally seen as one of his worst there's a few prominent champions of it like Dave Kehr.

It's cool if you don't, it is open until the end of January so maybe you'll find the time. That and Family Plot were my picks. Sabotage because i'm watching 30's films and Family Plot both because i own it and that while it's generally seen as one of his worst there's a few prominent champions of it like Dave Kehr.
I seen Family Plot for the first time a few months ago. I liked it OK. I think the movie industry had past Hitch's style and subject matter by and so Family Plot seemed passee to the audiences back in the early 70s. I could have swore I reviewed it, but I just checked and the only review is from Iros.

@seanc @Citizen Rules

Citizen is joining in with Sabotage i also offered to take out Family Plot and have him nominate something in its place so he can join us with half of the films. I'm sure you're more than fine with that Sean since you've struggled to watch Family Plot So it needs to be something none of us have seen, here's all 22 i've seen:

https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/...tchock-ranked/

@seanc @Citizen Rules

Citizen is joining in with Sabotage i also offered to take out Family Plot and have him nominate something in its place so he can join us with half of the films. I'm sure you're more than fine with that Sean since you've struggled to watch Family Plot So it needs to be something none of us have seen, here's all 22 i've seen:

https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/...tchock-ranked/
Cool, I can link to what I have seen tomorrow on my computer. Letterboxd app won't let me filter on my phone. However if you pick a silent like you mentioned we are golden.

Cool, I can link to what I have seen tomorrow on my computer. Letterboxd app won't let me filter on my phone. However if you pick a silent like you mentioned we are golden.
Cool. I'm off for the night and Citizen said he is too so we'll sort it out tomorrow.

Cool. I'm off for the night and Citizen said he is too so we'll sort it out tomorrow.
Thanks guys for letting me choose one. I looked at Camo's list and at Sean's Letterboxd account and it looks like you've never seen the one 30's Hitch I've been itching to see, The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934).

I'm watching all of the Hitch's, I found The Lodger at my library and I want to rewatch Lifeboat as it's been awhile. So I'm stoked! this should be fun and glad Camo is doing this again

Thanks guys for letting me choose one. I looked at Camo's list and at Sean's Letterboxd account and it looks like you've never seen the one 30's Hitch I've been itching to see, The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934).

I'm watching all of the Hitch's, I found The Lodger at my library and I want to rewatch Lifeboat as it's been awhile. So I'm stoked! this should be fun and glad Camo is doing this again
Awesome Really glad you chose a 30's one and great that you're joining us for all of them! This is the first time it hasn't been just me and Sean so it should be good.

So everyone just start whenever you want, we've got to the end of January so plenty of time. I'm going to start with Sabotage soon but i'm going to space the viewings out most likely.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yes, I will definitely partake in this. Someday I will complete his filmography and this will give me a chance to see a few more. Probably won't get to all 4 but I'll try.

Awesome Really glad you chose a 30's one and great that you're joining us for all of them! This is the first time it hasn't been just me and Sean so it should be good....
I'm just happy to be included I liked doing this with Sean and Raul too, it's a good and easy way to check out a director and get to know him or her a bit better.

Lifeboat (1944)

This reminded me of Stagecoach (1939), in that it's a character study about a group of people with vastly different life styles and view points who come into conflict due to confinement in a small area and threatening circumstances.

I've seen Lifeboat now three times, and each viewing I felt the same...for such a dramatic event, the charters and the way they interact is uninteresting. The story felt lifeless to me, even though the visuals of the lifeboat lost at sea, look amazing. The premise is a good one, but the actual script and the characters dialogue was a let down for me. Several times the characters go on and on about their past lives which I found boring and not at all reflective or telling.

This didn't stir my imagination, I never cared or even believed these people were real. Though it's still fun to watch people helplessly adrift at sea, ha. So I didn't hate it or anything, but it felt like a wasted opportunity.

and that rating is as high as it is for Hitch's amazing visuals and special effects.