The Resident Bitch's New Top 100 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

I've heard this alot, both here on the forum and from other sources, and I can't fathom it. I watched Wild Strawberries in a film class my senior year of...High school? (How old are you when you graduate from high school?) It's been seven years, anyway, and all I can recall of the film is that it was slow as *****. I remember finding it unbearable and decided then and there that I wouldn't watch another Bergman (haven't since). Am I so wrong in my recollection? Can you explaine why you think it's so good and should I give it another chance?
Pretty much what MV said. Very powerful, great performances including one of my favourite ever male performances by the lead and amazing visuals. Don't know what to tell you though mate you said the same about Solaris which i've yet to see but that's supposed to be really slow, slow films might just not be for you. If i was you i'd check out The Virgin Spring first maybe, someone more versed in Bergman could probably come up with a better starting point out of the four i've seen that would be my suggestion.

Sean, i really hate the term "it's so bad it's good" but if it ever applied to a film for me it's Showgirls. The acting and dialogue is godawful and the story and characters are so stupid, plus the nude/sex scenes are hilarious. Also an actual positive; it has great visuals, it is very stylish and well shot. I mean it's a Paul Verhoeven film he made a bad film but he is a good director and i think it shows in the visuals, still that's secondary to the majority bad elements.

I liked U Turn as you know from me watching it in the 12th the other day. It's not a favourite but it was fun and had some good performances. I think you read my Fury Road too if you did i said in that i barely remember The Road Warrior so i can't comment on that.

Romper Stomper
(Geoffrey Wright, 1992)
Previous Rankings: NEW TO THE LIST

Russell Crowe absolutely shines as charismatic neo-Nazi skinhead leader Hando in this intense and unrelentingly brutal film. He is at once absolutely terrifying and weirdly sexy.

L'illusionniste
The Illusionist
(Sylvain Chomet, 2010)

This gorgeous animated film tells a beautiful and heartbreaking story with almost no words at all.

Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
(Robert Weine, 1920)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - 15, 2013 - 43

I'm not big on silents, but this is one film from that era that really stood out for me. Even in black and white, its images are quite striking and a bit unnerving. Its influence can also be plainly seen in more modern films, particularly the work of Tim Burton (some of the sets in Beetlejuice look they came directly from this). It absolutely blew me away when I first watched it, though my interest in it has waned some in the last few years. Still, this is absolutely required viewing for any film fan.

I know I love Romper Stomper, I just need to see how much when I watch it again in the next couple weeks.

It took me two watches, but now I'm definitely a fan of Caligari.

Haven't seen The Illusionist. I might watch it this week. I don't see many animated movies so I should mix one in here and there.

You'll get my thoughts on Romper Stomper either today or tomorrow. The Illusionist is fantastic i didn't actually know you were a fan of it. I liked it more than Triplets, i want to see it again soon as it has been a while and i remember having it in the first set of my animation list which didn't feel right. I liked Cabinet of Caligari, want to see it again too.

You'll get my thoughts on Romper Stomper either today or tomorrow.
I hope your opinion of it changed.

The Illusionist is fantastic i didn't actually know you were a fan of it. I liked it more than Triplets, i want to see it again soon as it has been a while and i remember having it in the first set of my animation list which didn't feel right.
I agree, it's definitely better than Belleville - though Belleville is much better than some of the films that made the countdown but c'est la vie. I definitely considered The Illusionist for my animation ballot, but there were at least 25 animated movies that I liked more.

I liked Cabinet of Caligari, want to see it again too.
It's so good. It's the only silent film in my personal collection.

I'm pleased to see this finally happening, MV.

That's a pretty good start. Showgirls is on my own 100, so obviously I approve of its inclusion here. I'm still not sure if I've seen Persona or not, but I'm more leaning towards "not" atm (Wild Strawberries is really boring, BTW. I'm not even sure if I finished it.) I liked both Schindler's List and Romper Stomper, though I don't think I've seen either since the 90's and possibly mid 90's, at that. I saw the first two Mad Max films when I was 10 or 11 and found both boring. I saw the second again in my early 20's (I think) and was of the same opinion.

Caligari is great and I've not seen The Illusionist.

Looking forward to seeing the next instalment.

Rep for Road Warrior and Romper Stomper, I'm a fan of both.

Philadelphia
(Jonathon Demme, 1993)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - 32, 2013 - 67

Though it may seem dated and little tame by today's standards, this was a truly groundbreaking movie in its time. It features a very realistic portrayal of what AIDS does to the body and the hardship and discrimination its sufferers face. It also features some incredible performances from Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington. Also Antonio Banderas was adorable in this.

Vals Im Bashir
Waltz With Bashir
(Ari Folman, 2008)

This animated documentary is a film unlike any other I've ever seen and if I were to rank the films on this list by their artistic merit alone it would've placed much higher. But as great a film as it is, its subject makes for a very emotionally difficult watch.

I forgot to mention U-Turn. I liked I when it came out, but didn't enjoy it much the last time I watched it in the early noughties.
Of course you didn't.

I haven't seen Philadelphia!
Fix that!

Tombstone
(George P. Cosmatos and Kevin Jarre, 1993)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - N/A, 2013 - 37

I'm not really a fan of westerns, but I've always loved this particular western with its great performances and exciting pace. It also stands as one of the few times I've really enjoyed a Val Kilmer performance.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
(Milos Forman, 1975)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - N/A, 2013 - 98

A funny yet tragic film with great performances and one of film's most iconic villains. Brad Dourif's portrayal of Billy Bibbit is especially heartbreaking to me, but it's a very moving film throughout.

Catch Me If You Can
(Steven Spielberg, 2002)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - 29, 2013 - 38

Based on Frank Abagnale Jr's autobiography of the same name, this fun little movie about a con artist who lives out his dreams by donning several disguises. Pure entertainment and fantastic performances by DiCaprio and Hanks.