The 170 Visual Pleasures of Pyro

→ in
Tools    

Midnight Cowboy

(John Schlesinger, 1969)

I was more than impressed with the two performances of Voight and Hoffman but the lasting impression was the cityscape.

The Films of Michael Haneke

Call him pretentious if you will, he's certainly the most intellectual auteur around today. Applying social criticism through not only the themes but directly challenges the viewer by turning formal and generic conventions on their head. The Austrian directors career has moved from Germany to France and now US.

Hidden/Cache (2005) is perhaps the most effective use of digital shooting i've seen, blurring the lines of meta-textuality- never sure what's recording and what's real. It's a thoughtful film that never gives any easy answers.

Funny Games (1997) is on many levels stunning, a deconstruction of violence in the media, the way viewers empathise and become involved in what's on screen, it's shocking and intelligent. Yet, for all it attempts it suffers a Catch-22, those who would watch an art house film such as this, don't need the lesson and those who do wouldn't watch it.

Moving on, Piano Teacher (2001) is a more conventional narrative but even more shocking. Superb performances in a story of a sadistic piano teacher.

Seventh Continent (1989) was a bold move, difficult watch but bold.

The Graduate

(Mike Nichols, 1967)

As i mentioned early, i have a soft spot for New Hollywood. This is one of the more conventional entries but is one where the French New Wave's influence is most transparent.

The Wild Bunch

(Sam Peckinpah, 1969)

Gory revionist Western following the titular outlaws to the death and showing the end of the 'west' and the new modern world

Rambo

(Sylvester Stallone, 2008)

I don't think i've ever seen as much brutal carnage on screen, who'd have thought the franchise could turn around into a thoughtful look on the conflict whilst annihilating everything and anything in sight.

Ronin

(John Frankenheimer, 1998)

Jean Reno is the man, add De Niro, a bit of Sean Bean, a very sexy lady in form of Natascha McElhone with a sexy Irish accent, some pretty sweet car chases, the IRA. And win.

Star Trek: First Contact

(Jonathon Frakes, 1996)

The Borg, sci-fi zombies if you will, Night of the Living Dead on Alien. The horror of those two is pretty much what i felt when watched this when i was younger but aside from influencing younger me, even now it holds up. Some nice references and a well constructed sci-fi that extends past the confines of Star Trek.

Goldeneye

(Martin Campbell, 1995)

Pierce may not be the best Bond but this is a tour-de-force of Bond-isms and Brosnan fills the role neatly. Sean Bean makes one of the best villians, the tank is one of the best Bond cars and the general dark tone of this one makes it stick out above the rest.

Street Fighter

(Shigehiro Ozawa, 1974)

No, not Jean Claude Van Damme but Sonny Chiba in this brutally awesome martial arts flick. The first martial arts film that made me realise it wasn't all Confucianism

Man Bites Dog

(Remy Belvaux, Andre Bonzel, 1992)

A bizzare Belgian docu-film where a crew follows a serial killer for a documentary, a real one off
movie

Father Ted
TV SERIES
(Creators: Graham Linehan & Arthur Mathews, 1995-1998)

Throughout my youth, this was the one TV show that guaranteed hysterics, and on such a simple premise- three Irish priests. Think this just gets the edge over Faulty Towers because each character is brilliant (opposed to primarily Basil)- there's Father Ted, the priest of slightly questionable ethics; Father Dougal, the idiot man child and Father Jack the violent alcoholic. It's borderline absurd but where else would you see priests lost in the lingerie section of a department store.

EDIT- and if you thought BSG was clever for circumventing censorship with 'frack', this is where they got the idea from, Jack's catchphrase alternates between "DRRRINNNK" and "FECK OFF"

Lost
TV SERIES

(Creators: J.J. Abrams, Jeffrey Lieber & Damon Lindelof, 2004-present)

I was at odds including this; when it's on i'm completely hooked but don't have any urge to rewatch it. I'm glad that i am involved in it because the twists and build from season to season is quite an experience and hopefully in future it will be remembered and i can say 'i watched it' but time will tell if it stays on here.

City of God

(Fernando Meirelles, Kátia Lund, 2002)

It may now be the go-to foreign movie but every time i watch it after letting slip off my radar i'm blown away by it again. Powerful story and great performances from non-professional actors.

Dr Strangelove

(Stanley Kubrick, 1964)

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room."

Not much to say other than flawless comedy.

Buffy, The Vampire Slayer
TV SERIES

(Creator: Joss Whedon, 1997-2003)

If ever there was a show i've grown up with and been completely addicted to watching week-by-week, this was it. Whedon has a knack for crafting characters and emotional stories as well as some great comedic touches. Over 7 Seasons, there were some fantastically inventive episodes from all-singing to complete silence. Think it's fair to say it's more than inspired several following TV shows.

[rec]

(Jaume Balagueró & Paco Plaza, 2007)

I'm not sure if my love for this film is based on how i watched it so let me set the picture- it was 2.30am, i was half asleep so put a film on to go to sleep to. I chose this, knowing nothing at all of it. The opening scenes at firehouse lured me in, not knowing what was coming and as soon as the first zombie was shown i was so shocked i couldn't look away, even though i didn't even know it was a zombie yet. Sheer, unrelenting and nightmarish horror so good can overlook it's flaws.

Die Hard

(John McTiernan, 1988)

Couldn't not include the BEST ACTION MOVIE EVER now, could I?

Dog Soldiers

(Neil Marshall, 2002)

Almost a British Evil Dead 2 with the ample splicing of humour and intestines. A great werewolf flick that rarely lets up and for a low budget flick, is pretty damn slick.

Bubba Ho-tep

(Don Coscarelli, 2002)

If the premise of Bruce Campbell as an aging Elvis, Ossie Davis as JFK 'dyed black', fighting a soul-sucking Mummy in a rest home is not what you consider the making for a cult classic, well, you're in the wrong place.

American Psycho

(Mary Harron, 2000)

Perhaps the stupidest mistake i ever made in the world of film was opting to rent Valentine over this. Bale nails the role of psycho in this 80s set horror. The satire might not be the strongest feature but love all the pop references and subtle influences they have.

More on the way, i just have to return some videotapes

Outstanding Pyro, I have only seen Ichi and Audition. Most of his stuff isn't exactly easily obtainable over here, I know its available online but most times I prefer to buy DVD's off the shelf and you don't see a lot of his stuff here. I bought a kick ass version of Ichi the Killer that comes with its own blood packet and everything. Me likes. Pretty damn good flick too.

That was as funny as hell seeing Grease come in after those. I'd have to say that a movie marathon with you, would forever scar my brain. It would at least scare the ever livin' ***** out of me.

Thanks Destiny, i've mixed in a few childhood classics, that being one lol. I thought you were horror fan though?

Is that the uncut version of Ichi PW? I've been dying to see it and was holding out getting the cut version but needed to see it for my essay and it was only couple quid.

Is that the uncut version of Ichi PW? I've been dying to see it and was holding out getting the cut version but needed to see it for my essay and it was only couple quid.
Yeah, well, it claims it is anyway its This one here. And yeah its pretty bad ass.

Yeah, well, it claims it is anyway its This one here. And yeah its pretty bad ass.
Lucky ducky. I can't even find the cut 2-disc version. I'm not too bothered though, just the completionist in me. I'm not a massive fan of it, each time i watch it- i enjoy it but only remember the extreme violence afterwards. The CGI was a bit ropey but the logic i've heard is that it contrasts the true violence (against women) to the cartoon/ manga overkill (literally).

Hope i've inspired you in someway to seek out more of his work, i read the special features have a trailer compromising of snippets from his other films, what did you think of that?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Interesting...

But will you get a job before you finish?

The People's Republic of Clogher
We need more Time Bandits fans here.

Originally Posted by PT
Doubtful. In Catch-22, overqualified for rubbish job, not enough experience for good job.
Been there, buddy. Much as I'd love you to finish this odyssey, I'd love you to get a job first.

Then work on it in your spare time.

We need more Time Bandits fans here.

What's not to love? John Cleese as Robin Hood, Sean Connery and midgets!

Been there, buddy. Much as I'd love you to finish this odyssey, I'd love you to get a job first.

Then work on it in your spare time.
Thanks for the support, i'm thinking of biting the bullet and going back to my old job, just so i can get my extra overdraft opened

Need to find an actual career first though

109. United 93 (Paul Greengrass, 2006)

One of those 'it was really good but i don't want to watch it again'. It's hard to describe the emotional impact the final shot had, one of the few films to leave me speechless and an emotional wreck.
I hope you didn't have to watch that in class or something. Personally I refuse to watch it, and it irritates me to no end (although its so typical of this country that it and a few others got made) to see it floating around out there. I guess its a good thing for you that I don't have my way, because if I did there would not be people in this country profiting off of the world trade center death's. I realize this isn't a reflection on you, you just watched the film, so I mean you no offense.

105. Brotherhood of the Wolf (Christophe Gans, 2001)

Stunning French multi genre flick with epic cinematography, even Mark Dacascos does well, not too mention the ever cool Vincent Cassel.
I think you've looked into my little list before and maybe you saw this little gem on there. It is an excellent flick isn't it? Monica Bellucci is all I'm gonna say.

103. The Shield TV SERIES (Creator: Shawn Ryan, 2002-present)

It's strange for a TV show to have constant tension throughout each episode as well as through the Season. It's raw and gritty with some fantastic anti-heroic characters and range of conflicted morality. The finale of Season 5 had my jaw on the floor for at least 15 minutes, no joke- it was one of the most powerful pieces of television ever.

I'm so glad that someone from across the pond is raving about this show, I've been trying to bully Tatty into checking it out and now a countryman of his is talking it up. I'm telling you Tatty this show is the bees knees.

Anyway, it is a brilliant crime drama and I'm glad you enjoy it so much. Have you also had the pleasure of watching Rescue Me? (Oops, I hope I didn't spoil your list!)

Nah mate Brotherhood of the Wolf has been a long time fave, it was on my last list as well. Naughty, naughty trying to claim credit

Not heard of Rescue Me. Friend tried getting me on The Wire though.

I'll get back to you on United 93 as im just waiting for MGS4 to install.....

Nah mate Brotherhood of the Wolf has been a long time fave, it was on my last list as well. Naughty, naughty trying to claim credit
I never! I don't see to many folks talk about it and I guess I missed it last time I looked through your list. Consider the source PT, I have been called many things and observant is rarely one of them.

Not heard of Rescue Me. Friend tried getting me on The Wire though.
Here is the wiki page and it does a pretty fine job of summing up the show. And I must say for my money it does a much better job of dealing with the aftermath of the 9/11 tragedy than a movie ever will. I hope you're able to check it out someday.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I hope you didn't have to watch United 93 in class or something. Personally I refuse to watch it, and it irritates me to no end (although its so typical of this country that it and a few others got made) to see it floating around out there. I guess its a good thing for you that I don't have my way, because if I did there would not be people in this country profiting off of the world trade center death's. I realize this isn't a reflection on you, you just watched the film, so I mean you no offense.
I'm sure that your heart is in the right place, but United 93 is seriously-moving and wasn't made to cash in on people's heartache. Here is some info from IMDb:

Families of the 40 passengers and crew members killed on United Flight 93 cooperated in the production, offering Greengrass detailed background about their loved ones, down to the clothes they wore, what reading materials or music they had with them and what sort of candy they might have snacked on aboard the plane. [In fact, watching the interviews of the survivors on the DVD's special features will turn you into even more of a wreck than the movie, which is at it should.]

The filmmakers donated a percentage of the opening weekend proceeds to the Flight 93 memorial near Shanksville, Pennsylvania. The actual amount donated turned out to be $1.15 million.

At the request of the filmmakers, no studio-produced trailers were shown before the start of the movie in its theatrical run.

Oh, well looks like Mark beat me to the punch a bit. Anyway, 9/11 never really had a big impact on me, heck, when i was told i didn't even know what the Twin Towers or World Trade Center was. Obviously the images of the crash were pretty shocking and that was all i really took away from the event, seeing people jumping off was obviously upsetting. However United 93 completely internalised the reality of the last flight and made a truly moving film. Not for commerce but as a memorial of the tragedy and heroic nature of those poor souls lost. And the whole way Greengrass follows it is remarkably objective but brutally real so by the end as the inevitable occurs, it was totally devastating as a viewer. As for watching it, it got good word of mouth while it was at the cinema and i eventually got it cheap on DVD. And i'm not at all ashamed to have spent money on it as otherwise i'd never have appreciate or realised the brevity the event as much.

On an aside, have you thought about the profits plenty of other films have made from World Wars and such? Out of interest, does your reasoning extend to that or does their more fictional nature avoid the problem?