Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The House that Jack Built (2018)

I think Lars Von Trier is an interesting and talented filmmaker who's held back by his own ambition. Even though I liked this, I'm left with a negative feeling due to my hopes going in and what could have been. The regular serial killer scenes are chilling, but then Von Trier has a lot to say, mostly of which I care nothing about. He seems like a pompous ass. Go ahead and make me think but don't be so obvious about it. Matt Dillon was an excellent choice for the lead role and he did a fine job. The trailer was better than the movie.

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

-

I've always been up and down on Queen, loving some of their music while disliking some. I do think their talent and uniqueness makes them one of the greatest bands, and Freddie Mercury on of the greatest frontmen. I wasn't really that interested in this movie especially with its PG-13 rating. I think any movie about a rock band should be rated R if it's going to be authentic. It was much better than I expected. I enjoyed seeing the rise to fame and making of the music, and the sad end was effective even if underplayed. Did the actor deserve the Oscar? I don't know, maybe. I think it's hard sometimes to grade a performance when it's of a real life character, but I had no complaints.

The Equalizer 2 (2018)

The first one wasn't great but I enjoyed it. I'm not sure if this one wasn't as good or if it were just a matter of me being all set with it. It's got Denzel and it was ok to watch. Nothing more.

The Equalizer 2 (2018)

The first one wasn't great but I enjoyed it. I'm not sure if this one wasn't as good or if it were just a matter of me being all set with it. It's got Denzel and it was ok to watch. Nothing more.
I loved it. I watched it recently and I'd stayed completely away from spoilers. One of my best experiences watching a film in some time.

If Beale Street Could Talk (2018)

A good convincing tale of times in Harlem when star-crossed lovers are faced with the reality of their surroundings.

The scenes between Tish and Alonzo make this, the non-lnearity can help certain movies but not (I think) this one.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Summer of '42 - 6/10
Another movie I've known about for many years. It could have been told in a 15-minute short movie. Jennifer O'Neal is the only one worth watching. The others are horrible actors, and the situations are silly. Lately, I've been listening to movies, minimizing the window, and going down my list of forums to check. I think I'm running out of great movies to see and its scaring the hell out of me.

Dragged Across Concrete (2018)

Zahler continues his slide. Aptly named film though as that's exactly how watching it felt like. At least an hour too long and acting was almost as awful as in Lanthimos' films. I'm starting to think that Bone Tomahawk was just a lucky accident.

EDIT: Dropped half a popcorn after sleeping. It's truly bad film.

I can't really explain why, but I have never had any desire to watch On the Waterfront, but I really will someday...it's an important part of cinema history and won Brandon his first Oscar...I have to admit I've always wondered if his Waterfront Oscar was a consolation prize for being robbed for Streetcar...and he was robbed. I have seen The African Queen and Brando was robbed.
The public loved The African Queen, and loved Bogart in it. It was one of the early movies I saw with my mother. I recall hearing the buzz about it at school, so I asked if we could see it. I loved it then, and I still love it. I actually took a ride in the boat they used for the film. It's still rigged out the way it was in the movie. A couple bought it, refurbished it, and have it moored in Key Largo, FL (naturally). They give rides for a fee.

Brando was of course a powerhouse in "Waterfront" and also "Streetcar". And Brando was a better actor than was Bogart. But I think that the public and the Academy realized that Bogie was overdue for a statue, and Brando has just hit the scene heavily. I think Bogart got it as much for the role and the charming way he played it, as much as anything else. Just my 2 cents.

~Doc

The Dirt (2019)

Not exactly a good movie but I enjoyed the hell out of it anyway. It was like watching a piece of my life. I don't listen to Motley Crue that often anymore, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

I think I finally figured out how to make the popcorn - so if you mofos will indulge me, I am testing it out on a couple of films I have seen both recently and not so recent: ( Wish me luck , it's only taken over a year for this computer challenged lady to solve this cyber- enigma)

The Post

Five Easy Pieces.

Yippee!!!!! I got it. By George I think I got it.
Yessiree I think
My Fair Lady
and lenslady and hey even
Lady and the Tramp
- we all got it.

And for now let me wish a gracious gooddddddd eeeevennnning - (as Hitch would say , of course. that was on his tv show but I'm giving the bird to the Birds
anyway; I mean jest throw a shoe at a crow and they'll flap away) - and goodnight to you all.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

The Dirt (2019)

Have you ever thought made-for-t.v. movies needed nudity?

Unregistered User
I thought it was an interesting update of the classical noir style, especially the long scenes in which the protagonist tailed the girl in the cars around the city. The filming and music reminded me a lot of Vertigo. Did you notice they used no strings-- only brass and woodwinds? Very Herrmannesque...

So on that level I enjoyed it. About 2/3rds of the way through, though, it started coming off the rails. It got a little silly. And why must the male protagonist generally have to be either a stoner, a schlemiel, a putz, or all 3? Do women think, "Oh, that guy is such a milquetoast loser, he just really turns me on."? I suppose that's what Generation Z'ers expect.

Anyway, like you, I'm sure people will have wildly varying reactions to the film.

~Doc

Glad to hear that you kinda liked it Doc. Yep, few references of Hitchcock in it. Also very similar to Inherent Vice, including your reference to stoner dudes. I know what you mean, seems the easy option though, doesn't it?

Welcome to the human race...
Starman -

gotta love Carpenter directing an E.T. knockoff after it demolished The Thing at the box office