Movie of the Month - Take Shelter (November 2017)

Tools    

Hopefully within the next few days. A busy work week fed right into family visiting, and the softball season being extended another week, so it's been tough to find time.

I agree with you mate

Okay, ALMOST done. I really wanted to finish this today, but I can't imagine it won't be done by tomorrow, at the latest.

Apologies again for how long this has taken. Not sure I've ever taken this long, actually. Nothing weird about the recording itself, just really bad timing with other work and family stuff.

They say the best things are worth waiting for. Besides I won't have my copy of the fillum for at least another couple of days I reckon.

Okay, so I think this is done, but I had to move stuff around a bit more than usual, so I should probably just give it a listen before posting it in case I messed anything up. So, ETA: tomorrow, late morning or early afternoon.

Just to say my copy arrived this morning so no need to wait for me any more

Whew, finally. Sorry for the delay. But it's for a good cause: a good podcast!

A sincere thanks to @Slappydavis, and extra-special guest @ash_is_the_gal for joining me to talk about this deep (and deeply unappreciated) film.

The best way to get it is to subscribe with iTunes. The next best ways are to just download it with this link (or add the podcast feed into your RSS reader). Or you can just listen right now with this embedded player:

Gonna try to post some more thoughts here, particularly because I had to cut some good general stuff about mental illness that I couldn't find a good place to insert earlier. Most prominently, @Slappydavis was saying something around the end about how the people in Curtis' dreams represent an externalization of his problem that I think would be worth putting down in text, if he's willing to expound again (if not, well, I still have the raw audio, at least).

I also cut a sad story about a cat that you're all happier for not having heard, anyway.

Hey Yoda,

Started listening earlier today, I'll finish the rest later. Really good Podcast!

I'm kind of surprised that you guys interpreted the end to be a dream sequence, and a symptom of his illness. I always felt the ending was real, and although Michael Shannon's mental illness was legit, his visions of an apocalyptic event were also real.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
This film and @Swan wasn't in the podcast? Oh right, he'd probably just cream over Chastain and not add anything meaningful...
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Ok, just watched it and it's certainly a very nicely made piece that managed to draw me in and keep me there. Now for the podcast - here's hoping the same will apply

edit: An interesting listen, well done all three! Wonder if someone will deliberately pick a movie set in a desert next just to scupper Chris and his water fixation lol.

An interesting listen, well done all three! Wonder if someone will deliberately pick a movie set in a desert next just to scupper Chris and his water fixation lol.
Punishment Park took place in a desert, and all I remember is that he talked about how hydrated and articulate the old man was!

Speaking of past podcasts though, something I thought of during the film that I actually forgot to write down to mention is that in a few spots I was particularly reminded of Affliction. I'll plan on expanding on that later.

Podcast turned out great! Thanks to Yoda for having me and Ash for joining! And thanking Ash again for the movie selection, this might be my personal favorite out of the films thus far (up there with Gattaca and Lion In Winter).

Punishment Park took place in a desert, and all I remember is that he talked about how hydrated and articulate the old man was!
Ha, sounds about right lol.