The MoFo Top Video Games List: The Countdown!

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
7. Super Mario Kart (SNES)

10. Bioshock (X-Box/PS3)

Bioshock was a great game and is a great series. People like to poop on Infinite, but I feel they're just upset because it was a different tone, setting and most obviously, different from what they previewed it as.

But the original. Great atmosphere, superb story telling with a wide eyed open jaw moment that cemented itself in video game history. Extremely memorable and fun to explore. The second one improved on the game mechanics sure, but the original is still the best.

Super Mario Kart, why you so low? What's the age of the people submitting lists? I one hundred percent expected this to be higher. I can't count the hours my friends and I put into this game; the trash talking, yelling, laughing, etc. This game was fun and changed the way racing games were done. If Mario Kart 64 places higher, I'll be one sad gamer.

Suspect's Reviews

Obviously i considered Super Mario Kart i'm not a monster. Spent so many hours playing it with my sister more than my friends actually as a kid; she isn't a gamer at all and that was the only game we played together alot, Crash Bandicoot to a lesser extent actually. The reason i didn't vote for it is that when i played it with friends as an adult it was still fun but not as much as i remembered. Still very happy to see it show up. Also agree that hopefully Mario Kart 64 is not higher.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Mario is pretty easily going to have the most of a series on the list, right? I can't really think of anything that could challenge it.
I'd be shocked if it didnt. There really won't be any big challengers. A few others will have multiple. Mario should have at least 5 I would think.

The People's Republic of Clogher
WARNING: "Do not read if you are averse to the obvious" spoilers below
This is not the last time that Mario appears on the countdown

A system of cells interlinked
I really enjoyed Bioshock. I played through it twice, and have many fond memories of playing it with my wife (who at the time was my new girlfriend). Great atmosphere, and a cool story. That said, I didn't put it on my list. Older graphics engine aside, I find that System Shock II was just a better game, and was similar in so many ways, that Bioshock felt like a re-skin. The story unfolds in a very similar way, and the plot points are revealed in exactly the same way. The plot twist involving the person that is allegedly helping you is handled the same way, and due to that, Bioshock's major twist was telegraphed for me. Rapture looks better, and the Big Daddy/Little Sister aspect was definitely unique, but it didn't keep Bioshock from feeling like a been there, done that. Another gripe is the fact that you could reset your character build in Bioshock, which to me represents one of the big steps towards hand-holding at the time. SS II made each decision about your build matter, and it was less focused on the shooter mechanics, with more and different ways to get around each section of the game. You would approach each obstacle differently depending on how you built your character - something that was not really present in Bioshock, sadly.

Bioshock represents to me major shift away from thoughtful design into more surface level presentation that sacrificed depth for eye candy. The culmination of that shift was in Bioshock Infinite, which was literally on rails.

Never played Postal 2.

Mario Kart was really fun, but just missed my list.

EDIT: System Shock II drops while I was writing this post. System Shock II was # 6 on my list. I think I should have maybe switched my #5 and #6...

Bioshock was, to all intents and purposes, going to be System Shock 3 but Ken Levine (the man behind both) couldn't get the System Shock rights. He's said that a System Shock 3 wouldn't have had Andrew Ryan, Big Daddies etc but the core Shock tenants still remain in Bioshock.

I loved SS2 and in many ways, like seds says, Bioshock felt like a slicker, simpler companion. It's a bit clunky to play nowadays, but runs well on modern PCs and, like Master of Orion 2 (a game I also owned and loved at the time), can be bought today on GOG.

Still waiting for something on my list to appear.

Bioshock was, to all intents and purposes, going to be System Shock 3 but Ken Levine (the man behind both) couldn't get the System Shock rights. He's said that a System Shock 3 wouldn't have had Andrew Ryan, Big Daddies etc but the core Shock tenants still remain in Bioshock.
I had no idea. That's nuts.

I've never gotten into the Bioshock games. I dunno...too much combat for me, I guess? They sure do look lovely and I kinda wish I'd gotten into them before, well, hearing about all the twists and turns and endings.

I had no idea. That's nuts.

I've never gotten into the Bioshock games. I dunno...too much combat for me, I guess? They sure do look lovely and I kinda wish I'd gotten into them before, well, hearing about all the twists and turns and endings.
For me, the combat in the Bioshocks just isn't massively fun but the world it takes place in is beguiling. System Shock 2 had much more of a survival horror feel and a far more comprehensive levelling system.

Due to the weapon breakage system, which is perhaps some would say is a tad too harsh in SS2 (but not me), there is less combat when compared to Bioshock.

" I see there's still an insect loose in my station. "

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Bioshock, for me, is ALL about the atmosphere and voiced story lines. It was a gorgeous world, eerie and magical. Area boss characters were just wonderfully acted and haunting. Listening to the various recorded logs of different characters slowly slip into madness really drew me in and created momentum wondering if my character would soon lose his mind like the residents of Rapture had.

I loved it and I believe I placed it at #3 on my list for the drama, voice acting, and atmosphere.

Bioshock, for me, is ALL about the atmosphere and voiced story lines. It was a gorgeous world, eerie and magical. Area boss characters were just wonderfully acted and haunting. Listening to the various recorded logs of different characters slowly slip into madness really drew me in and created momentum wondering if my character would soon lose his mind like the residents of Rapture had.

I loved it and I believe I placed it at #3 on my list for the drama, voice acting, and atmosphere.
Definitely a strong point to the game. The log thing was directly lifted from the SS series, but as Taccy said, this was supposed to be SS3, so I guess it wasn't really lifted, just a continuation of the mechanic. At the time, Bioshock was unmatched in atmospherics...

Before I played Bioshock, I knew that it was intended to be a spiritual successor to System Shock 2, a game I'd heard of but never actually played. It was dirt cheap one day on Steam, so I decided to pick it up. It became one of many games I played a few minutes of, put down to play something else for awhile, and then just never went back to.

Master of Orion is the first game on this list I don't really know anything about. PC games were not something I heard much about when I was a kid, since no one I knew played them. We were all console kids. It wasn't until I was in high school that I met people who had played anything other than DOS games on PC.

I actually only played Super Mario Kart for the first time semi-recently. It wasn't one of the games I had, and none of the stores I rented from as a kid had it either. Despite that, I am surprised it's so low on the Countdown, since quite a few of my friends prefer that game to the N64 version (which I did play a ton of).