The MoFo Top Video Games List: The Countdown!

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I really liked NV and get all the arguments about it being a better game than Fallout 3. It's better written, more imaginative and more mature.

Still liked 3 more. It had more vaults and more green text.

Fallout 3 felt grander, somehow. Bigger in size and scope. It's possible I liked it more because I played it first, but I don't think so. I think it had a bigger sense of scale and discovery. New Vegas is tighter and probably objectively better on a few key measures, but it invokes very different feelings, probably because of the setting and the way the setting justifies things being so much more spaced out (or, perhaps, just space out "feeling," since in Fallout 3 there's simply more to look at, if not interact with, between locations).

The first time i remember speaking to Iro on here was an argument about how New Vegas wasn't better than Fallout 3. He wasn't actually saying it was iirc, what he was saying was plenty think it is since it's closer to the originals. At the time i was incredulous at what i was hearing but yeah he was right in what he was saying, and i hadn't then or still haven't played any of the early Fallouts so i can't really speak to that.

Well anyway New Vegas was a good fix after Fallout 3 but i personally didn't like it anywhere near as much.
Tracked down that "argument with Iro" and for the record it was nothing like i remembered I was actually arguing with Guap while Iro was posting the reasons he prefers New Vegas. My disagreement with Guap was with him saying "New Vegas is usually regarded as superior to Fallout 3" which i still don't agree with. Think certain people certainly think it's superior but i wouldn't say it usually is.

Anyway just correcting that for when Iro reads that post and wonders what the hell i was talking about haha.

A system of cells interlinked
Fallout 3 was on my list. I played through about half of NV, but sort of lost interest after a while. I played through Fallout 3 twice! I logged plenty of hours in F3, for sure.

Snake Eater was ok, never got heavily into the series though. Only ever player Sons Of Liberty with any conviction.

Never played any of the Fallout series. Probably because it's relatively new. My gaming library stopped at the turn of the century

Bubble Bobble I remember being huge amongst my school friends when the games were first around, but it was another series I never saw the attraction.

Woop. My bad. Never read the points thing properly.

So really we're getting more than 50 games? Woohoo!

My room mate has played all the Metal Gear games, but I never really saw the appeal in them. The plot sounds incredibly difficult to follow, but then again that's sort of typical for many Japanese games haha.

I know of Bubble Bobble, but have never actually played it. I think those dinosaur guys are super adorable though.

Fallout New Vegas is a game I really should play more of. I think I tired to play it too soon after finishing Fallout 3, and just couldn't get into it. I'd like to try it again eventually, but I'm not sure what it would be like to go back to it now after Fallout 4.

My room mate has played all the Metal Gear games, but I never really saw the appeal in them. The plot sounds incredibly difficult to follow, but then again that's sort of typical for many Japanese games haha.
I've got a friend who is really obsessed with the series, he's read just about every book related to the game as well as loads of other stuff. Have no idea how he does it, those game novels are usually horribly written; he agrees he just needs to know haha.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
OMG I get logged in and find this!!! My heart is racing as I read each post! Then it stops on page TWO~!? lol WORK WHILE I SLEEP DAMNIT!!!

Woop. My bad. Never read the points thing properly.

So really we're getting more than 50 games? Woohoo!
Well, no. Next entry will be number 47.

Say, if you get two guys tying in a race at the Olympics, they share the gold. Next one home takes bronze.

If I expanded the list beyond 50 games we'd get a LOT more ties. From 30 points down, we're getting up to 10 entries on the same number.

Fallout 3 was on my list. I played through about half of NV, but sort of lost interest after a while. I played through Fallout 3 twice! I logged plenty of hours in F3, for sure.
Fallout 3 may appear further up the list....

Well, I know if it does or not but I'm trying to build suspense here, dammit!

49 Mega Man 2

Released: December 1988
Developer: Capcom
Platform: Nintendo Entertainment System, various

42 points: One 5th, one 10th, one 21st

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Thank God it made the list. I had it at number 5.

It's probably the best of the original 6. I beat it again last year. I also have beat number 3 recently. I'd be nice to see 3 make the list too, but I don't think it will.

Isn't 2 generally regarded as the best?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Off topic slightly. @Tacitus
Do you copy/paste these lists into a spreadsheet or something to help auto sort? Or are you doing this all by hand with pencil and paper (pencil for the eraser )?

Camo explained a lot of the process during a recent movie list, but I guess I can always find more questions to ask in anything. It really annoys the coworkers =\

Also: how do you pronounce your user name? Tacky-tus? Tassy-tus? Other? Is that a reference to the Roman historian? If so, are you a history buff? Maybe that's why you're doing this archival list of games!? haha ugh. see what I mean?!

=*(

Thank God it made the list. I had it at number 5.

It's probably the best of the original 6. I beat it again last year. I also have beat number 3 recently. I'd be nice to see 3 make the list too, but I don't think it will.

Isn't 2 generally regarded as the best?
I wasn't a Nintendo kid so never played any of the original Mega Man games until much later. I could see how expertly designed they were, and what fantastic music they had, but they never had a place in my heart.

Off topic slightly. @Tacitus
Do you copy/paste these lists into a spreadsheet or something to help auto sort? Or are you doing this all by hand with pencil and paper (pencil for the eraser )?

Camo explained a lot of the process during a recent movie list, but I guess I can always find more questions to ask in anything. It really annoys the coworkers =\

Also: how do you pronounce your user name? Tacky-tus? Tassy-tus? Other? Is that a reference to the Roman historian? If so, are you a history buff? Maybe that's why you're doing this archival list of games!? haha ugh. see what I mean?!

=*(
Somebody did a fantastic spreadsheet template for one of the countdown, and I forget who it was. I managed to scrounge a link to it from Raul.

And it's the Roman gossip column dude, who's easier to spell than, but not as much fun as Suetonius, the Perez Hilton of his day.

I love the music in the Mega Man games, which is great because I hear it fairly frequently (room mate likes to replay various games in the series from time to time). I haven't played much of them myself though, other than the first couple of Battle Network games which aren't even remotely the same thing. I had one of them on the NES, but don't remember which it was, just that it was too difficult for me at the time haha.

I've got a friend who is really obsessed with the series, he's read just about every book related to the game as well as loads of other stuff. Have no idea how he does it, those game novels are usually horribly written; he agrees he just needs to know haha.
Is your friend my room mate by any chance? He also has a number of game novelizations that he admits are really bad, but that doesn't stop him from buying them. He says some of the Resident Evil ones aren't horrible but...I don't believe him.