All Your List Are Belong To Us: The MoFo Video Games Countdown

Tools    

Really struggling to draw a line between where I personally enjoyed a game and games that I thought were technically or historically unique, even if I didn't love it.
Me too. I've been struggling to have even a loose "idea" of what my criteria are. Because I want the list to be personal & nostalgic, but also judicial and current.

How I imagine this is, if there were a clone of myself with all my non-gaming memories, which games would I most recommend to that clone?

It's trying to split the difference between my belief that games have improved over time, and the very real idea that some of these games are attached to huge leaps of personal growth that I wouldn't skip over.

Generally speaking it'll still mean I'll favor relatively current games over the more common sort of judging criteria I see from other people (which I very crudely roll up into a cluster of: Which games would I most want to re-experience in the context of first playing it). But it's really hard to actually balance between nostalgia and hindsight, so I gave up on perfection and settled for good enough.

Also thumbs up on the ports ruling. I'll be including whatever system I primarily played it on, but I'm all for lumping them together.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Me too. I've been struggling to have even a loose "idea" of what my criteria are. Because I want the list to be personal & nostalgic, but also judicial and current.

How I imagine this is, if there were a clone of myself with all my non-gaming memories, which games would I most recommend to that clone?

It's trying to split the difference between my belief that games have improved over time, and the very real idea that some of these games are attached to huge leaps of personal growth that I wouldn't skip over.

Generally speaking it'll still mean I'll favor relatively current games over the more common sort of judging criteria I see from other people (which I very crudely roll up into a cluster of: Which games would I most want to re-experience in the context of first playing it). But it's really hard to actually balance between nostalgia and hindsight, so I gave up on perfection and settled for good enough.

Also thumbs up on the ports ruling. I'll be including whatever system I primarily played it on, but I'm all for lumping them together.

Pretty much all this.
My first Genesis game was Last Battle (well, not counting Altered Beasts that came with the system!). That carries a lot of weight for me for several reasons. 1) It totally reminded me of that B sci-fi Cyborg, starring Van Damme, and I really loved that movie as a kid. I would pretend I was Van Damme kicking everything. 2) This was the first console game I had played that had oversized characters that were a third the height of the game screen. That was nuts back then!! While NES/SNES had dinky little squats running around the screen, Genesis gave us so much more detail through the scale of their character designs, and I totally fell in love with it. 3) It was my first game purchase!!! I was a Genesis virgin, and Last Battle was my big-boobied senior girlfriend to my 7th-grade boy inexperience.

I'm not sure the game holds true over time without all of that, but it still a very enjoyable and difficult game to beat. I even remember the first time I finished it. I was so excited that I told my uncle who was smoking on the front porch of my grandparent's house, thinking he would be inspired to come in and watch the rolling story line and credits sequence. No. He just responded with a half-hearted and somewhat confused "good job?"

So where does that go on MY list!? And does it even belong next to games like Skyrim or Dark Souls, neither of which I finished!?

lol?
=\

The People's Republic of Clogher
10 lists in so far. We'll need a fair few more.

I still haven't managed to rank my list but I have cut the candidates down to 30.

I have a feeling that I'm forgetting something important though.
I had that feeling too, so I decided to first do a ranking of each of my favorite games per system. But that also made me sad because some of those favorite games of an entire console still couldn't fit

Also sent in a draft list. Which has both made me want to revise it already, but also kinda want to wash my hands of it.

The exercise of going through this was really enlightening though, as it always is when I have to actually rank pieces of art against other and not just say they're all really good.

Edit: Also I feel really badly for my handheld favorites, as I played a TON of handhelds as a kid and have a lot of favorites, but they really suffer competing against the larger platform games without biasing for them a bit.

Sent in my list. It was easy for me since I don't play videogames since 2015 and my memories of my favorites have been well filtered by time. There are some games in my list that I played I lot when I was 13-14 years old.

Also, videogames back in the year 2000 were better than today. At least there were a lot more strategy games which is my genre. Today graphics are awesome but most AAA games today are rather dumb, well Fallout 3 was the ultimate example of a stupid game (even though I saw a reference of it in School Live).

Oh yeah, here is an interesting article about the stupidity of Fallout 3:

https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27085

Fallout 4 at least was a major improvement over it.

I read that article awhile ago. It certainly makes a good argument that there are stupid things about Fallout 3's story, but that's not much of an argument that it's a stupid game. Games are about the experience of playing it, and the ostensible reason for the gameplay is a lot less important than the gameplay itself. It's not like a movie, where the story is usually the point. In games, it's more of an excuse. Most classic games have little to no story.

I've never played Fallout 4, is it like better or more faithful or whatever to Fallout the series?

The first time i talked to Iro was disagreeing with him saying New Vegas was better than Fallout 3.

He was so wrong, like aggresively wrong, so wrong that i think it was pretty impressive that...

I read that article awhile ago. It certainly makes a good argument that there are stupid things about Fallout 3's story, but that's not much of an argument that it's a stupid game. Games are about the experience of playing it, and the ostensible reason for the gameplay is a lot less important than the gameplay itself. It's not like a movie, where the story is usually the point. In games, it's more of an excuse. Most classic games have little to no story.
Yah, ignore my post there.

Oh my god!

The People's Republic of Clogher
If I didn't play a game because it had a stupid story, I wouldn't have played many games...

Anyway, just had my first celebrity list from a celebrity internet friend. They say not to start with a showstopper but I'll probably not heed that advice. If you've had your ear to the gaming ground recently you'll either have played the game that this person stars in or at the very least heard a part of their performance.

I'll say no more ... for now.

Keep the lists coming, people!

I still got my ps3. Last night I found Chrono-Trigger on the psStore. Sooo nostalgic. And a metric crap-ton of old ps1 classics. No need to upgrade when the best games are in the past

If I didn't play a game because it had a stupid story, I wouldn't have played many games...

Anyway, just had my first celebrity list from a celebrity internet friend. They say not to start with a showstopper but I'll probably not heed that advice. If you've had your ear to the gaming ground recently you'll either have played the game that this person stars in or at the very least heard a part of their performance.

I'll say no more ... for now.

Keep the lists coming, people!
Wait. You know STARBUCK!?
...just a random shot in the dark.

Fallout 3 is a good fun game. But I also think it's funny and kinda special that the level of stupidity of its setting and story is so high.