The MoFo Movie Club Discussion: The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas

Tools    

That flick you mentioned above Ruffy is either Jacob The Liar or Life is Beautiful.

Probably the latter and a much, much better flick than this one.

My life isn't written very well.
I've seen this film. I have a problem with movies that are obviously works of fiction, but are set in historical and documented places in time. I assume that the main point of such a picture should be based in some reality. However, 8 year old children, like the boy in the film, from what I understand, were not in camps. Sadly, those too young to work were gassed upon arrival.

But it is just a movie, and as movies go, this one stayed with me for days.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

That flick you mentioned above Ruffy is either Jacob The Liar or Life is Beautiful.
Probably the latter and a much, much better flick than this one.
It was the latter--I've cared for only two films starring Robin Williams, and one was Aladdin where I only had to put up with his voice (he's actually funny as a cartoon! )

What did you think of the ending of Life is Beautiful vs. Boy in the Striped Pyjamas?

However, 8 year old children, like the boy in the film, from what I understand, were not in camps. Sadly, those too young to work were gassed upon arrival.
Sadly, those too sick or weak or old or crippled or young to work were almost instantly killed. Particularly babies and the very young toddlers. But you'd be surprised how much slave labor the Nazis could get out of 8-year-olds or even younger before they starved to death. The whole premise of Schindler's List was that only children had hands small enough to reach inside shell casings or whatever it was they were put to polishing. Von Warner's rocket program made use of many children slave-labors doing intricate work with their little hands. There's also a very famous film taken by US Army liberators of one concentration camp in which dozens of children in striped uniforms--including many who look too young even for primary school--rolling up their sleeves to show the identification numbers tattooed by the Nazis on their little forearms. Children, particularly twins, were used in many of the Nazis' most hideous "medical" experiments.

It's Life is Beautiful.
Thanks, Mark. What did you think of the comparative endings of the two films?

Not sure if anyone cares :P, I watched this movie recently and wow I know theres tons of movies in its genre that have been released in this era but this was just different. I found it (not saying the others arent) 100% realistic starting from when the first jewish worker comes into the house for the first time.
Flawless acting 9/10. Ending is probably the worst in terms of disturbing factor ive seen in a while.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Gah I was going to watch this but it's not on Netflix instance... maybe eventually.

I did enjoy Life is Beautiful.

And I have no problem with fictional films set to the backdrop of real world events. Aren't all films to some degree fiction set to the real world?

I've said this many times at moviejustice and I think mark f has also mentioned it sometimes here and I agree with him. If I want entertainment or my thoughts to be provoked I'll watch a film. If I want history I'll read a textbook.

Besides who knows what the true store behind anything is anyway?

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I finally watched this film today. I suppose that I fall into the middle ground in how I feel about it. Even though it got some pretty good reviews (away from here), I don't really think of it as a major film, so I don't really have that many major gripes. As far as things which bothered me a bit, I'd say the fact that a little kid could dig into a camp so easily and that he could also be at that fence repeatedly without ever being seen would go to near the top of the list. Even though the film is on the blatant side, I really didn't have any problems with the tutor trying to turn the kids into good little Hitler Youth. It basically is a form of denial for the Father to justify his rise in importance to the actual extermination of Jews. The greater his responsibility for mass deaths (at the behest of his superiors), the greater the Father needs to have his children indoctrinated with the Big Lie about the Jews in some "context" of German history.

I thought the film did a pretty good job of showing some dissatisfaction within German society regarding the way the "War" was being carried out. I do admit that it's not terribly subtle, but it's something which normally isn't allowed without direct punishment. I do not read anything symbolic in the death of the Father's Mother. His dad says that she died in a bombing and I believe that's what happened to her. Also, PW, I'm not sure how you couldn't tell that the film wasn't about Nazis (unless that was a joke). Less than a minute into the movie, we see banners with swastikas covering a building.

The strongest part of the film for me would have to be the relationship between the two boys. Bruno's life consists of playing, and he mostly wants to play war games since we see him "flying" with his friends at the beginning of the film. The more his Father becomes a soldier though, the less Bruno seems to want to play war. When Bruno finally makes it to the "Farm", he doesn't realize that it has anything to do with the war. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Bruno doesn't really know what war is, except that soldiers dress up in cool uniforms and some of them get to fly airplanes. His dad also gets to wear that cool hat with the skull on it. But when he meets his Jewish counterpart, the only boy his own age he's seen since his family moved to the country, he naturally wants to play with him, but the barbed wire makes it difficult. It's only when the other boy's father goes missing (presumably killed) that Bruno concocts the scheme to make it up to his friend for lying and causing him to be beaten earlier. Even when Bruno puts on the "striped pajamas", he starts laughing because he believes that he's playing a game.

I didn't really find the finale elongated. Ten minutes was a pretty short time to show what was happening in the camp and crosscut it with the family searching for Bruno. Bruno dies trying to find his friend's father while at the same time Bruno's father is trying to find him. Of course, if Bruno's Father had already been a "real man", none of what happened would have occurred, at least to his family. For example, if Bruno's Father had left the country (preferably with his family) such as the Lieutenant's father had earlier, Bruno would still be with his family. Of course, in the larger picture, there would still have been death camps, at least unless the entire German military had risen up against Der Fuhrer or all the "good people" had done what they could have to stop things from getting completely out of control in time. But now I'm looking at the film as something major while I feel it takes a major event in history and presents a minor, ironic incident. I just rewatched The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl, and I believe what's in that film is significant, thought-provoking and maddening. This film is maddening but part of that is because it's almost impossible to know what to feel and why. I think if you feel something, even hate, then it may have accomplished its modest task.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I felt pretty much the same way as you, Mark. I watched it a couple months back, not being too surprised by the ending, nor some of the events leading up to it.

Overall, if my memory serves me correctly, I would give it a
, leaning more towards a
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Just came across this thread. I think I'd like to jump in, even if I'm late to the party. Does anyone know anything about the Classroom Edition? It sounds kind of cool, actually, even if it's not quiet intended for non-students like me. Any recommendations?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
If you want to discuss the film, feel free. If you haven't seen it, rent it or watch it on some cable/satellite (that's what I did today). We have several pages of movie club discussions so you should be able to find one which you've already seen.