Best Science Fiction Movie - All Time

Tools    

MovieMaker, some would classify Star Wars as more properly Fantasy than Sci-Fi.

And we all would agree that poster is too frippin' big an image.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Can we try with real bullets now?
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
And we all would agree that poster is too frippin' big an image.
I certainly think the poster is a monster

Star Wars is in AFI top 100. I think its like 16th or somthin, i could be way off but i know its there. I don't like Science Fiction other then Star Wars, so all 6 of them are my favorites.

Can we try with real bullets now?
Its number 15 and whats up with all the sci fi hate?

I just find Sci-Fi movies and aliens boring and unrealistic now, and after seeing star wars everything else just seems inferier and as if its trying to be star wars like but its impossible

I find there are no true sci-fi movies anymore. The last good one was Blade Runner, although I would put Alien a close second.

I agree with Holden, I don't consider Star Wars as sci-fi. I consider it fantasy, and put it in the same class as Lord of the Rings.

Originally Posted by cutter
I find there are no true sci-fi movies anymore. The last good one was Blade Runner...
Check out 12 Monkeys (1995 - Terry Gilliam), The City of Lost Children (1995 - Caro & Jeunet), Solaris (2002 - Soderbergh) and Akira (1988 - Katsuhiro Ôtomo).

New one to add to my list.

Hiroshi Teshigahara's adaptation of the Kobo Abe novel, 'The Face of Another' (Tanin no Kao).

"Let's see now. Am I getting drunk, or is it the mask?"

Check out Solaris (2002 - Soderbergh)
Holden, what do you think about the Tarkovski original? And which do you prefer?

I liked them both, but the '72 version is a tad long for my taste and that made it a little harder to watch. Additionally, Soderbergh's film has one of my favorite scores ever.

Check out 12 Monkeys (1995 - Terry Gilliam), The City of Lost Children (1995 - Caro & Jeunet), Solaris (2002 - Soderbergh) and Akira (1988 - Katsuhiro Ôtomo).
Just saw 12 Monkeys last night ... it just made me confused. I'll have to see it again. Just don't know if it's in my top 5 or 10, but it is a movie to see.

I would also suggest Alex Proyas’ beautifully realized Dark City, Douglas Trumbull’s poignant Silent Running, Rudolph Maté’s campy and cool When World’s Collide, and, of course, the granddaddy of ‘em all…Fritz Lang’s Metropolis.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Lets put a smile on that block
Great thread. So many science fiction films to love, too many to list. Sci-Fi is probably my favourite genre. I love how in most cases it is some sort of twisted projection of what may become of us and our planet. I love how the films of the genre can fill you with wonder, sadness, terror, intrigue, possibility and hope. Anyway, heres fifteen of some of my faves...

Contact
Zemeckis, 1997

Minority Report
Spielberg, 2002

Vanilla Sky
Crowe, 2001

The Abyss
Cameron, 1989

A.I Artificial Intelligence
Spielberg, 2001

Dark City
Proyas, 1998

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Spielberg, 1977

The Fifth Element
Besson, 1997

The Iron Giant
Bird, 1999

Mars Attacks
Burton, 1996

Signs
Shyamalan, 2002

Solaris
Soderbergh, 2002

2001: A Space Odyssey
Kubrick, 1968

Blade Runner
Scott, 1982

The Matrix Trilogy
Wachowski Brothers, 1999,2003

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Vanilla Sky
Crowe, 2001
Have you seen Abre los ojos (Open Your Eyes)? It's what Cameron Crowe copied to make Vanilla Sky. Penélope Cruz stars in it as well.

I haven't seen it, but I've heard that it's better than Crowe's version.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Have you seen Abre los ojos (Open Your Eyes)? It's what Cameron Crowe copied to make Vanilla Sky. Penélope Cruz stars in it as well.

I haven't seen it, but I've heard that it's better than Crowe's version.
I have yeah. I think i prefer Crowes version personally, but only because of minor things that i preffered, such as the soundtrack and the effects. Vanilla Sky felt and looked more like a sci-fi than Abre los ojos. As far as i can remember there were some subtle differences in the story that i also preffered, such as Benny the dog (is that its name?). Also i don't think it helps me favour the original when i fortunatly/unfortunatly saw Crowes version first, and immediatly loved it. Crowes version felt more emotional than the original.

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by Lance McCool
Holden, what do you think about the Tarkovski original? And which do you prefer?

I liked them both, but the '72 version is a tad long for my taste and that made it a little harder to watch. Additionally, Soderbergh's film has one of my favorite scores ever.
My opinion: Although Soderbergh's remake is a very good sci-fi and does great on it's own without relying too much on the original, it just cannot top Andrei Tarkovsky's amazing film. Tarkovsky's version is long, and incredibly slow, but I will say it's one of my favorite films of that decade. It's undeniably beautiful, and Tarkovsky uses both the black-and-white photography, and the color phtography to his advantage to create something beyond beautiful. Tarkovsky focuses on something for a various amount of time, but it never gets dull, not in my mind at least. I really did like Soderbergh's Solaris, but it will never, in my mind, be even remotely close to being as good as Tarkovsky's.

Andromeda Strain

I just watched this the other day, and although I have seen it in the past, it still is a wonderful experience.

I need to check that out. I've read the book twice, but haven't seen the flick.

2001, Alien and AI.

They're also three of the best movies to ever hit American theaters.

Wheely cool bike girl
I had forgotten about THX 1138, a great Sci Fi movie and one of George Luca's first. It was also visually stark.

It should be mentioned here among the other favorites.

Wheely cool bike girl
And Andromida Strain ... I thought that was such an original idea. IN vasion at the micro level! I was speaking to someone about that movie a few days ago. How could I forget to put it here! Glad 7thson remembered it.