The Bat Movies

→ in
Tools    

@Nostromo87 ballpark when do you want to start watching the movies? I'm always excited to watch Batman.
I've got work tonight and tomorrow. Thursday day/afternoon/night looks pretty good for me. I phrase it that way bc pretty sure my day is your night with the time difference and all. Recall you mentioning we seek the non-theatrical edition of

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Anyone else who wants to join is welcome too. More of an independent casual viewing than full commentary, with casual and relaxed exchange in Cat_sidhe's Cat's Flap thread, and arrive back here with brief or extended write-ups as wanted. I'm excited, I haven't seen this and really know pretty much nothing about it.

Training / Research
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batman v Superman.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	46957  

I want to make a thread that consists of extensive research into the history and making of a movie, then I watch the movie, and then talk about it some more. Then move on to another movie. Inspired by Nostromo: A Thread on Movies.

@cat_sidhe

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition)

Ya in for a relaxed view and chat today?

Anyone else who's interested, give it a go too!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	b v s.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	47005  

@cat_sidhe

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition)

Ya in for a relaxed view and chat today?

Anyone else who's interested, give it a go too!
Absolutely. Got this on Blu Ray.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Define Ultimate Edition from theatrical release? What can I expect?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I defer to The Cat on this question, as I haven't seen either. @cat_sidhe

As an aside, it's a casual viewing bash. Be spontaneous, watch at your own convenience, preferably today, no requirements, and enjoy it! And post about it if you want!

I've only seen the Ultimate Edition although both are on the Blu Ray. There's a big difference, from everything I've heard, and the Ultimate Edition makes a tad more sense.

@cat_sidhe and I are going to start watching here shortly, I'll start at 12:40 PM Eastern Time.

To clarify, this isn't a full-synced up commentary. Casual viewing, chime in with thoughts here and there if you want while you're watching in Cat's Flap thread. Then we'll head back here later for more finalized thoughts on Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice!

Right. And here we are to dissect Batman v Superman.

THE AUTOPSY

How did everyone feel?

It's about the 4th time I've watched it what can I say...Batffleck just does it for me.

Some thing I think weren't necessary, like, for example, we didn't really need to be introduced to both Wonder Woman and Aquaman in the same film, the reference to Aquaman was so cursory, and it's already kind of hard to get excited about him. One, or the other, than Wonder Woman made more sense.

Lex Luthor. Oh my god, a bit of an irritating Lex Luthor, and that's disappointing because Jesse Eisenberg is ok in my book. I can kiiiinda go with this Lex Luthor but I have trouble disconnecting from my idea of Lex Luthor, something Jared Leto's Joker suffers a bit from in Suicide Squad. I'm not anti that Joker, but it...kinda doesn't go there. I must say with multiple watched, Eisenberg's Lex Luthor becomes more tolerable. I wasn't as irritated this time around, but hey, it is the 4th time.

It's a tad on the long side. As @Nostromo87 pointed out, (and I was about to post something similar), it's Batman v Superman V SuperViciousBloodButtDemon and kid of went on a little longer than necessary. I, of course, have NO PROBLEM with that as I could watch Batffleck all day. But I can see how some might go "oh hey now, this is a bit long toothed".

Let's talk about the Martha moment. I actually get it. I'm not a naysayer there, the name snapped Batman out of kill mode (and that's another issue, Batman in killmode...) and broke through. A lot of scoffing over that, but I wonder if any of the scoffers put themselves in either Superman's or Batman's shoes there. It's actually not so far fetched that the mention of Batman's mother's name, which happens' to be Superman's earthly mother's name, breaks through to Batman in violent mode. If you've ever been in a violent mode, you'd know, sometimes a word does snap you out of it. For a moment Batman was confused, he thought it was a trap or something, hence the repetition of WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME? And in his repetition you can hear pain.

Batman killing. Some scream it's against canon, but it's not really. Batman has killed in the comics, too. I'm not even going to discuss that, because Batman as a character is basically slave to whoever's writing him at the time, and Frank Miller showed a powerful, funny, RAGE INDUCING lesson in "don't worship your heroes too much". He have us both modern day Batman, and The ******* Batman.

Let's see, what else? Apart from Ben Affleck knocking it out the part for me as Batman. Also, liked Jeremy Irons as Alfred although I did find myself missing Michael Caine in that role. Jeremy Irons is a good fit for Ben Affleck, though, and neither one of them is to blame for any of this film's shortcomings, if I'm to be asked.

I'll see what the replies say before writing more.

My main thought the whole time, I'd have very much enjoyed seeing how a pure Affleck Bat flick would've gone down. However, since they didn't give that here, maybe that shakes everything up, and one will come down the road.

More coming! (May be a bit, have to run out)

This might just do nobody any good.
Some thing I think weren't necessary, like, for example, we didn't really need to be introduced to both Wonder Woman and Aquaman in the same film, the reference to Aquaman was so cursory, and it's already kind of hard to get excited about him. One, or the other, than Wonder Woman made more sense.
The whole set up for Justice League and the actual team coming together in the respective movie would make a lot more sense or, at least, would down more smoothly if it were Diana in charge. I mean, I get that everyone loves Batman and they want him to be center stage for all of this but why is he the one informing the decades old Amazonian, who’s faced down literal gods, that there are super powered beings out and about in the world?

Jeremy Irons is a good fit for Ben Affleck, though, and neither one of them is to blame for any of this film's shortcomings, if I'm to be asked.
I liked them both in BvS as well but I can’t help but notice that they most closely bonded over who gets to raid the Wayne family minibar first.

The whole set up for Justice League and the actual team coming together in the respective movie would make a lot more sense or, at least, would down more smoothly if it were Diana in charge. I mean, I get that everyone loves Batman and they want him to be center stage for all of this but why is he the one informing the decades old Amazonian, who’s faced down literal gods, that there are super powered beings out and about in the world?
Well, she did did lead "teh sheltered life", and then ran away for 100 years, so...you can understand why Batman's at the helm.

I liked them both in BvS as well but I can’t help but notice that they most closely bonded over who gets to raid the Wayne family minibar first.
...and isn't that just...awesome?

My main thought the whole time, I'd have very much enjoyed seeing how a pure Affleck Bat flick would've gone down. However, since they didn't give that here, maybe that shakes everything up, and one will come down the road.

More coming! (May be a bit, have to run out)
OH MY GOD, SAME, so when reports came in on the state of The Batman, and how unhappy Ben Affleck was and wanted to quit blah blah...SO FRUSTRATED. Perfect Batman, can we PLEASE KEEP HIM?

I wonder if anyone apart from me has read The ******* Batman All Star Batman & Robin, The Boy Wonder, but it's an abomination you'll be glad you read. If you're a Batman fan, you will be offended. But it's so psychotic it's awesome. It's also really terrible, don't read it.

If my nonrecommendation confuses you, well...so does the comic.

btw, heard buzz a while ago that if Ben Affleck hangs up the cowl, Jake Gyllenhaal will take over.

Like..

I would **** myself, though. Like, if Ben is hanging it up, and yanno, Joaquin Phoenix is taking the Joker, it's like WHY THE **** NOT. Although...while he has enough chin for Batman, he's got a bit of a sensitive face for Bruce Wayne.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Original Release Date: March 25, 2016

A crazed speech by Lex Luthor brings two contentious figures together, reporter Clark Kent from The Daily Planet and billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne from Gotham. Clark accuses Bruce's city of enabling a vigilante watchdog who tramples on civil liberties. Bruce fires back that every time Clark's city's hero saves a cat out of a tree, The Daily Planet writes a puff-piece editorial idolizing a destructive alien. Two cities, Metropolis and Gotham, BOYS BOYS. Who's gonna win?

Openly, since they didn't do a total Bat film, I'd have liked to see that rivalry hammered out more- delving into the legend of the two cities. The way it went down, I saw much of the film as a total setup that Superman was gonna get got. That meant amplifying the Man of Steel's women, his girl Lois Lane and his Mom, Martha (Diane Lane, who was great btw). I'd say that's elevated to the heart of the film, it had to be, considering the ending chosen. Bruce's bat and Alfred (Jeremy Irons) are there, yet not really given their just central attention, unfortunately. Then the story's complicated further by the hassle of introducing Lex Luthor, as well as Gal Gadot as the hideously frightful Wonder Woman.

*Gasp* oh gawd, FRIGHTENING! I'd like to say, going into a viewing where I actually know nothing about the movie, read nothing, watched no trailers, I love that. It was EXCITING to watch bc of that. Eisenberg's Luthor creating a savage monstrosity, not crazy about that. As established, with Superman and his girl and mother as the centerpiece of the movie... We don't get pure Bat, Alfred, and Gotham. The whole movie seemed to be set in Metropolis anyways. So even though Batman wins by LIVING ON, I'll go down as saying this is a Superman movie. He bagged the monstrosity, sacrificing himself, in his city, so who really wins this? Nostromo's decision, the film as made goes to Superman. Even though what I really want is Bat, Alfred, and some playboy billionaire machinery. Straight-forward, uncomplicated, simple. Okay fine, throw some Gal Gadot in too.

Rating:
+ 6.5 / 10

Is She With You?

You heard it here first, folks. Cat will **** her pants if Jake Gyllenhaal picked up the cowl.

Luv u cat but I can't see it. He'd make a good villain but I only see a Donnie Darko goofy grin from him under that cowl.

(hides from rage filled demon cat army)

The fact that you've not already jumped on this has me worried. Very worried.

=///////

lol