ScarletLion's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

'Upgrade' (2018)

Sometimes it's good to go into a movie without knowing anything about it. This is not one of those times. If I'd read about it I would never have watched it. It's a third rate knock off of Blade Runner, The Matrix and Robocop, but not a tenth as good as any of those films. Avoid. Unless you are into third rate knock offs of Blade Runner, The Matrix and Robocop.

This way of picking movies can make you to watch film pearls... or not but it is an adventure!
This is true. I was thinking that I probably need to watch more genre films. But then this film reminded me that I just don't like action movies. The Sci Fi element of it was fine, but it was very corny. It's got good reviews and write ups - but it just wasn't my thing at all. Absolutely zero originality. I'm not saying every film I like is original, but when the main selling points of your movie are so derivative and predictable it weakens the movie so much. Not for me.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Sometimes I'm also angry that I wasted my time and money for some worthless movie, but when a movie is good I feel like I have won some little prize
To be honest sometimes it's the same with movies I pick up

'Thx 1138' (1971)

George Lucas' 1st film, his student project brought to life in feature format and his creative spark ignited with the help of Francis Ford Coppola. It's not a hugely polished plot and has a quite a mundane bunch of themes in it. But the visuals, considering it was 1971, give a glimpse into what was to come from Lucas. Robert Duvall is as good as ever. 6.5/10

'Hereditary' (2018)

It's not often a film comes along that is worth the hype. But Hereditary is one of them. It has flaws, and some of the plot is quite derivative, but the direction, execution, visual experience and central performance from Toni Collette is where it shines. One of the most terrifying movies from the last 10 years. 8.1/10

'Au Revior les Enfants' (1987)

A harrowing, heartbreaking story of life in a boys convent school in Nazi occupied France. The boys are played so well and the setting is so honestly and sensitively portrayed. A real tearjerker at the end. 8.2/10

'Say Anything' (1989)

Finally caught up with this one. I've been a sucker for early John Cusack movies ever since I saw 'The Sure Thing'. This wasn't quite as good but had several laugh out loud moments, a great cast, some very tender lines and a nice pay off that doesn't wander on the wrong side of sentimental. 7.10

'The Skin I live in' (2011)

Pedro Almodovar is a twisted genius. This is like a Spanish Park Chan Wook film, although maybe Park Chan Wook films are Korean Almodovar films. Mysterious, beautiful, tense and creative. As usual Almodovar explores themes of gender, sex, patriarchy and control. The result is a dark journey with a touch of revenge. The ending wasn't as ambiguous as I'd hoped but it was a treat overall. 7.7/10

Unregistered User
Really want to get watching Hereditary asap. I love how there are so many good-to-great horror films coming out. Still have to see THX too.

The skin I live in - untill I watch this movie I was quite into Almodovar movies, but it was to much for me. I wouldn't say it was twisted, it was gross and foul. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

The skin I live in - untill I watch this movie I was quite into Almodovar movies, but it was to much for me. I wouldn't say it was twisted, it was gross and foul. It left a bad taste in my mouth.
It's certainly got a bit of nasty undertone to it - but that's the paradox really

'Amour' (2012)

Haneke's finest? Certainly up there with the ones that I've seen. The 2 lead performances are astounding. It's a devastating, heartbreaking film. I'm still reeling from it.

'Waco' (2018 miniseries)

Very well done. Michael Shannon is excellent. Shows empathy to the Koresh followers. Truly tragic.

I've seen Amour twice. The second time was in previuos week

It didn't make such a hughe impression on me, but I can't not agree that acting was great.

I've seen Amour twice. The second time was in previuos week

It didn't make such a hughe impression on me, but I can't not agree that acting was great.
It has very few flaws in my opinion. For a single location film to give off that much emotion and heartbreak is quite a feat.

'The Unknown Girl' (2016)

Solid but unspectacular drama from the Dardennes brothers. Very real setting, largely about guilt and well acted. Though nothing leaping out as being worthy of fine praise. 6.5/10

'First Reformed' (2018)

Where to start......we'll go with the acting...it's great. Really great. Perhaps Ethan Hawke's finest performance since one of the before/after movies. But apart from that - there's not alot that drew me in. There are some really tense moments, and some interesting scenes. But it just ebbs and flows. In and out. Tempting the viewer into thinking it's going to stray into great film territory but never quite managing it. It also looks a bit drab, and while I'm guessing it is supposed to, I didn't really feel it warranted it. If the Director wanted the film to look so rigid in colour palette terms then he should have just gone for black and white. In the end the movie is a bit of a mess. I'm really not sure what to make of the very end scene, and one element in particular. I've read about the parallels between the Director Paul Schrader and his shoehorning of Taxi Driver themes' which he also wrote - but it seemed inconsequential while watching the movie, All I could think of in the last 20 minutes was the phrase "missed opportunity".

'Precious' (2009)

Sometimes the Oscars get it right. Mo'Nique was outstanding in this, her monologue at the end is epic. It's not so much a coming of age film as a coming of life film. If that makes sense. There are over the top melodramatic moments, but all in all it's a very, very good movie. 8/10

REWATCH: 'Sexy Beast' (2000)

So many quotable lines. Ben Kingsley makes a terrific psycho. 7.5/10

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I hope to check out First Reformed, been hearing great things and I think Hawke is an underrated actor who chooses interesting projects. Just listening to him talk about his films is interesting enough for me.

Suspect's Reviews

I hope to check out First Reformed, been hearing great things and I think Hawke is an underrated actor who chooses interesting projects. Just listening to him talk about his films is interesting enough for me.

Thanks for that. I agree he's underrated. He's pretty good in 'Tape' too.

Precious - I've seen only once and I don't have a courage to watch it once more. I was reeling. Great movie, but not easy to watch.

Both movies with Ethan are great - first is old type movie (because it is old) and second one long term project, very interseting one

'August 32nd on Earth' (1997)

Denis Villeneuve's first ever feature. It's quite ethereal and has some beautiful moments interweaved with some quite detached ones. A woman has a car crash and decides to reassess her life. Villeneuve nods to alot of French new wave movies and movie stars, and his eye for a beautiful frame is on view. It's not going to be up there with his best but is worth seeing if you're a fan of his

Precious - I've seen only once and I don't have a courage to watch it once more. I was reeling. Great movie, but not easy to watch.
Yes it was devastating in that respect. I'm not sure I'll watch it again in a hurry but then alot of my favourite movies make me feel like that. Which is a weird one in itself

Yes it was devastating in that respect. I'm not sure I'll watch it again in a hurry but then alot of my favourite movies make me feel like that. Which is a weird one in itself
I know what you mean...

'Touch of Evil' (1958)

Possibly the best tracking shot of all time? Definitely the best opening scene to a movie. I've not seen many Welles films, and I had no idea he was such a good actor. In Touch of Evil he plays a rather broken figure with a past that weighs heavily on him and he nails it. As per usual for a 50s / 60s noir - the lighting is sublime and the shadows / frames almost tell their own story. There are lots of long takes, femme fatales, shady cops, narcotics, booze, assault, dutch angles, high camerawork and dark themes. The sound editing is noticeably brilliant - and one death scene timed to jazz music stood out. A classic. 8.5/10