Star Wars: The Force Awakens

→ in
Tools    

I don't know. I think Tron: Legacy could contend for that title.
I don't remember much of the original Tron movie.

Among the movies I know I think that Ozu's 1959 Ohayo is almost a remake of the 1932 I Was Born but...

I am the Watcher in the Night
Well, the Force awoke, stumbled around blindly in the dark, muttering something about star wars, stubbed its toes on some toys, and went back to bed. Then I yawned.

I am a huge Star Wars fan. I was hyped about the movie and I really wanted to like it. Sorry to say, I was disappointed.
WARNING: "The Force Awakens" spoilers below

What movie is the following plot from?
Begins on a desert planet
An evil empire led by a dark lord are searching for a droid carrying important information
A teenager loses their family
The Millennium Falcon blasts its way out of the desert planet
A young woman is captured by the dark lord and interrogated
A death star with a death ray terrorizes the galaxy
A father figure dies and someone yells "Noooo!"
X-wings fly through a trench and destroy the death star

It's almost as if Abrams, struggling with writing the next Star Wars chapter, just threw up his hands and said "I'll just re-do Episode 4!"

We were not introduced to any interesting new worlds, or technology, or vehicles, or weapons, or alien races. I wondered what the point of BB8 was - he was pretty much the same as R2D2.

Nobody in my theatre applauded when it was over.

They were smart to make a ton of money on merchandise before the movie came out.
I could not agree more. Great way of summing it up. It's essentially a rehash or a "soft reboot" of Episode 4, while creating enough new strands to keep some people, mainly mega fans, interested. I personally, will not be spending any money on future star wars cinema tickets. Plus, Abrams herky-jerky direction didn't work here, as the action was never allowed to breath and the quick cuts were annoying at times, leaving us with half assed action scenes.

I did enjoy the humour though and Ridley really surprised me as the star but sadly, it fails to rise above being simply a good movie, lacking the determination and pace of Empire or even the light saber superiority of Ep III.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
If The Force Awakens had actually been billed as a 'reboot' of Star Wars, everybody would have been up in arms complaining about all the ways in which it was not the same at all.

If The Force Awakens had actually been billed as a 'reboot' of Star Wars, everybody would have been up in arms complaining about all the ways in which it was not the same at all.
I can totally see that.

i enjoyed it but I also didn't have high expectations. It did sort more or less just emulate ep 4 but that didn't bother me too much. I can understand those who are disappointed by this however.

Boldly going.
Spoiler Warning

The film has some problems but over all its a great film and a huge step up from the prequels.
I've heard a lot of negativity about the prequels lately which I'd like to address. Let's look at some facts.

The initial reactions to the prequels were actually very positive.

Roger Ebert gave Phantom Menace a "thumbs up", gave it 3.5 stars out of 4, and wrote "If it were the first "Star Wars" movie, "The Phantom Menace" would be hailed as a visionary breakthrough."

Phantom Menace had a very respectable opening weekend of $64 million in 1999 and was nominated for 3 Oscars.

James Bernardinelli wrote about Attack of the Clones: "In a time when, more often than not, sequels disappoint, it's refreshing to uncover something this high-profile that fulfils the promise of its name and adds another title to a storied legacy."

Attack of the Clones is among the top 100 highest-grossing films of all time.

A. O. Scott of The New York Times concluded that Revenge of the Sith was "the best of the four episodes Mr. Lucas has directed," and equal to The Empire Strikes Back as "the richest and most challenging movie in the cycle".

Revenge of the Sith was the second most financially successful movie of 2005.

I saw it on Sunday. First time I've been to the theater in 8 years. Went with my friend that I first saw Empire Strikes Back with in 1980 when we were respectively 15 (me) and 12 (him).

Once again I feel I was blinded by hype. I stayed away from the threads here and didn't read any reviews - so the only hype I overheard was how this film was the second biggest & greatest thing next to the second coming of the messiah.
It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't any of that.

I liked the leads and I thought Rey and Finn had good chemistry. Kylo Ren was decent as the bad guy. Beyond that I really had problems with the story and the shallow way its told. It's nothing more than a retread of Star Wars and not a good one. The pacing is terrible, and the piling on of coincidences because the writers couldn't find a better way to get our characters to the next action scene or plot point became tiresome.

Rating: B-. And feeling a lot less hope for next one.

I am hoping they let rey be kinda a side issue for some of the movie while she trains in the next movie so that we can have some more focus on Finn s story and and maybe make him have his real hero moment and not have him as a bumbling former latrine trooper.

The pacing is terrible, and the piling on of coincidences because the writers couldn't find a better way to get our characters to the next action scene or plot point became tiresome.

Rating: B-. And feeling a lot less hope for next one.
I agree entirely, however I'm hopeful for a sequel that doesn't feel the need to prove itself by repeating the first Star Wars.

I've heard a lot of negativity about the prequels lately which I'd like to address. Let's look at some facts.

The initial reactions to the prequels were actually very positive.

Roger Ebert gave Phantom Menace a "thumbs up", gave it 3.5 stars out of 4, and wrote "If it were the first "Star Wars" movie, "The Phantom Menace" would be hailed as a visionary breakthrough."

Phantom Menace had a very respectable opening weekend of $64 million in 1999 and was nominated for 3 Oscars.

James Bernardinelli wrote about Attack of the Clones: "In a time when, more often than not, sequels disappoint, it's refreshing to uncover something this high-profile that fulfils the promise of its name and adds another title to a storied legacy."

Attack of the Clones is among the top 100 highest-grossing films of all time.

A. O. Scott of The New York Times concluded that Revenge of the Sith was "the best of the four episodes Mr. Lucas has directed," and equal to The Empire Strikes Back as "the richest and most challenging movie in the cycle".

Revenge of the Sith was the second most financially successful movie of 2005.
Financially speaking, all the Star Wars movies have been big, big hits. That's not surprising but it is interesting seeing all those reviews from back in the day, especially with regards to Phantom Menace.

The prequels, after you watch them having grown up, older, wiser and without the hype don't fare so well simply because they are poor in so many aspects BUT there's one thing they excel at, above the originals and Awakens and that is light sabre battles. Nothing tops Anakin v Obi Wan or the triple threat match or Grievous v Obi Wan and so on. I'd sit through those movies just for that.

I agree entirely, however I'm hopeful for a sequel that doesn't feel the need to prove itself by repeating the first Star Wars.
Apparently the next one will be "darker" so I'm expecting a remake of Empire lol

Boldly going.
Here are some plots that would've been infinitely better than the rip-off crud show we were "forced" to swallow:
  • A new galaxy is discovered, a galaxy with a young (geologically-speaking) planet Earth. Both sides (light and dark) see this as an opportunity to expand their territories.
  • Luke has recently been discovered after being missing for a long time. The dark side want him dead, the good guys want to bring him back. It's a race to find Luke.
  • The dark side has discovered a way to clone force-sensitive people (something that was impossible during the Clone Wars). The good guys race to find the cloning facility and destroy it before they create a clone of Anakin Skywalker (ie. "The Chosen One")
  • The dark side launches an attack on the New Republic capital in an attempt to assassinate the Supreme Chancellor and restore the Empire.

The feminism is The Force Awakens made my piles bleed! Oh, and being strong with the force can now make you become a trained Jedi instantaneously....

Originally Posted by Raven73
The dark side has discovered a way to clone force-sensitive people (something that was impossible during the Clone Wars).
I like that idea.

Originally Posted by The Sci-Fi Slob
The feminism is The Force Awakens made my piles bleed!
Wat. Feminism in Force Awakens? ...really?

Star Wars ain't exactly pulling Fury Road on us.