Quote of the Day

Tools    

"I feel that people are basically trying to do their best in the world. Even when you see people making mistakes, you understand why they're making a mistake. Everybody has flaws, everybody has demons, everybody has ghosts, but I think you watch people and you see everybody trying to do their best."

“A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself-and especially to feel, or not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at any moment is fine with them. That's what real love amounts to - letting a person be what he really is.”

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.
Darrin Weinberg

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient.
Eugene S. Wilson

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.
Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

Life is a great big canvas; throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye (1913 - 1987)

“…everything has a past. Everything – a person, an object, a word, everything. If you don’t know the past, you can’t understand the present and plan properly for the future.”

"Understanding is deeper than knowledge. There are many people who know you, but there are very few who understand you..."

Master of My Domain
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct to hold him in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- F. Nietzsche

If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one
Mother Teresa

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.
Jonathan Swift (1667 - 1745)

A person is always startled when he hears himself seriously called an old man for the first time.
Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809 - 1894)

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

The majority of people perform well in a crisis and when the spotlight is on them; it's on the Sunday afternoons of this life, when the nobody is looking, that the spirit falters.
Alan Bennett

Every man serves a useful purpose: A miser, for example, makes a wonderful ancestor.
Laurence J. Peter (1919 - 1988)

Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true.
Niels Bohr (1885 - 1962), to a young physicist

Regard your good name as the richest jewel you can possibly be possessed of - for credit is like fire; when once you have kindled it you may easily preserve it, but if you once extinguish it, you will find it an arduous task to rekindle it again. The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear.
Socrates (469 BC - 399 BC)

Happiness is an imaginary condition, formerly attributed by the living to the dead, now usually attributed by adults to children, and by children to adults.
Thomas Szasz, The Second Sin (1973) "Emotions"

Our houses are such unwieldy property that we are often imprisoned rather than housed in them.
Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862), Walden: Economy, 1854

The only courage that matters is the kind that gets you from one moment to the next.
Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966