Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay (2018)

Get out of your own way WB, put Vandal Savage in a live-action movie.

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

Hadn't seen this before (although heard of it obviously), it was pretty interesting in a dreamlike way which, I think, was the intended effect. Some of the acting is downright awful (Reeves, Frost, Ryder). Nice to see Tom Waits in an interesting role. 6/10.

A Short Film About Love (1988) – 10/10
Loved this too and would mark it similarly highly. "A short film about killing" is, for want of a better word, its companion piece and I'd rate it almost the same.

One of these days I'm gonna get round to watching Krzysztofs "Decalog".

Hadn't seen this before (although heard of it obviously), it was pretty interesting in a dreamlike way which, I think, was the intended effect. Some of the acting is downright awful (Reeves, Frost, Ryder). Nice to see Tom Waits in an interesting role. 6/10.
I don't remember Sadie Frost being that bad – at least she's English . Reeves and Ryder were incredibly offputting, but it's not exactly their fault.

I actually saw a tiny bit of it last night and it was where Dr. Seward is trying to understand Renfield's behaviour. I didn't know Tom Waits at all when I saw the film originally and only in recent years because of Heath Ledger using him as the basis for the Joker's voice. Until you said it I had no idea it was him but he was very good, and ironically, like Ledger, I would never have recognised him without the prompt .

Loved this too and would mark it similarly highly. "A short film about killing" is, for want of a better word, its companion piece and I'd rate it almost the same.
That's good to know – I'm definitely interested to see more.

One of these days I'm gonna get round to watching Krzysztofs "Decalog".
I was aware of Dekalog but didn't connect this film with it at first. It struck me that it's now a long time ago that I saw the Three Colours films – and each of them only once – so I'm really being reintroduced to Kieślowski at this point.

I actually saw a tiny bit of it last night and it was where Dr. Seward is trying to understand Renfield's behaviour. I didn't know Tom Waits at all when I saw the film originally and only in recent years because of Heath Ledger using him as the basis for the Joker's voice. Until you said it I had no idea it was him but he was very good, and ironically, like Ledger, I would never have recognised him without the prompt .[/quote]

Yeah I managed to see it on Film 4. Maybe Frost wasn't as bad as I imagined, but she is a bad actress lol! Oldman, Richard E Grant and Hopkins far outweigh the cardboardness of those quoted though. It was an enjoyable film.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Was Upgrade in a Hall of Fame or something?

Dragonball: Evolution -

imagine how much I'd hate this if I actually liked Dragon Ball in the first place

I can't remember how Piccolo was portrayed in the film, but the animated version popped in my head as your doppelgänger.

Just random stuff that bubbles up to the surface of my mind.

The Terrorizers (Edward Yang, 1986)

Stop doing this to me Edward Yang

Hopkins actually annoyed me the most in this. Chews through every scene. Reeves is hilariously miscast but that sort of makes up for the bad accent in a humorous way.

Upgrade (2018) - Leigh Whannell

- Wow that was a great f*cking movie. One of the most badass and entertaining flick i've ever seen for sure. Leigh Whannell is a nice director and he have amazing talent. This movie is litteraly all I like and enjoy about movies as a whole and it's definitely a new addition to my Top 100. Absolute blast.
Derek, did you notice that when Grey went to the apartment to see the hacker and he rang the apartment, one of the tenants name was "J Wan"?

Derek, did you notice that when Grey went to the apartment to see the hacker and he rang the apartment, one of the tenants name was "J Wan"?
Believe me or not I google James Wan Upgrade Easter Egg when I see it hahahaha

Hopkins actually annoyed me the most in this. Chews through every scene.
Yeah, sometimes it's a bit too much . His Legends of the Fall character works well for him because he's afforded a perfect reason to go over-the-top. I think he's quite fond of that one.

Talking about this today just made me remember the 1977 Count Dracula with Louis Jourdan. Frank Finlay's Van Helsing and Jack Shepherd's Renfield are my favourite versions of those characters. Finlay's great because he's really low-key and that makes what's going on very scary.

Di je Karlo?

Donnie Darko (2001) - 99/100

Holy ****, this movie's amazing.

First thing I gotta say is it's not as abstract as people make it out to be. It's not hard to follow at all. What it is is hypnotic, twisted, relatable (at least to me), gorgeous, and imaginative. Two things that stand out the most are the supposed dream sequences, which I couldn't take my eyes off of, and Donnie's nihilism, which leads to a particularly cathartic scene with a motivational speaker.

I don't want to spoil it further. And for what it's worth, I swear I'm not just praising it because it's considered a cult classic. It's just a great movie on its own.

Favourite line: You're right, actually. I am pretty... I'm pretty troubled and I'm pretty confused, but I... And I'm afraid. Really, really afraid. Really afraid. But I-I think you're the ****ing Antichrist.

Edit: Forgot to add, the soundtrack is the best I've heard in years.

Talking about this today just made me remember the 1977 Count Dracula with Louis Jourdan. Frank Finlay's Van Helsing and Jack Shepherd's Renfield are my favourite versions of those characters. Finlay's great because he's really low-key and that makes what's going on very scary.
I might check this out at some point. Suppose the added runtime probably helps with the character development of Renfield and Van Helsing.