The everything paranormal/unexplained/bizarre/mysterious thread

Tools    

I like the mere speculation of it all. It's fun to theorize and wonder what if. Skepticism is a necessary part of life, but too much of it can make it a real bummer.

Should point out i believe Aliens most likely do exist i just don't believe they've visited earth. They could be anything, lesser beings than us or superior beings, there could be both. Maybe we can't comprehend them or their environment and if we came across them it'd be like the trippy scenes from 2001
I agree this is most likely.

One thing I heard recently (probably on Coast to Coast) which was a bit reassuring was a simple question - if aliens came to earth from another star system (which would require technology so advanced that it solved issues of far faster-than-light transportation), why would they need to anally probe someone? If they have technology that exceeds all conceivable space/time or even dimensional limitations, wouldn't they just have a machine that could look inside someone without having to put a painful probe up their anus?

I like the mere speculation of it all. It's fun to theorize and wonder what if. Skepticism is a necessary part of life, but too much of it can make it a real bummer.
Nah like I said I wasn't trying to rag. I was really into this stuff when I was a kid and get the appeal, just grew into a Skeptical Sourpuss who says "hokum" a lot.

I like discussing and thinking about all this stuff too. Ghost stories can still creep me out even though i don't believe in them at all, i made a massive post about a ghost story my gf's mum told me that creeped me right out, turns out it was a well known story as i found a short film on youtube with the exact same story I'm just not holding my breath for any of this stuff to be proven.

These are all mind-boggling, but that first clip is way up there on the crazy scale. Especially considering the jogger came back around and just ran past her while she was being helped by others.

The John Lang case is disturbing, to say the least.

Encephalitis lethargica

"Encephalitis lethargica is an atypical form of encephalitis. Also known as "sleeping sickness" or "sleepy sickness" (distinct from tsetse fly-transmitted sleeping sickness), it was first described in 1917 by the neurologist Constantin von Economo and the pathologist Jean-René Cruchet.

The disease attacks the brain, leaving some victims in a statue-like condition, speechless and motionless. Between 1915 and 1926, an epidemic of encephalitis lethargica spread around the world. Nearly five million people were affected, a third of whom died in the acute stages. Many of those who survived never returned to their pre-existing "aliveness".

They would be conscious and aware – yet not fully awake; they would sit motionless and speechless all day in their chairs, totally lacking energy, impetus, initiative, motive, appetite, affect or desire; they registered what went on about them without active attention, and with profound indifference. They neither conveyed nor felt the feeling of life; they were as insubstantial as ghosts, and as passive as zombies.

No recurrence of the epidemic has since been reported, though isolated cases continue to occur.

Cause:

The causes of encephalitis lethargica (EL) are uncertain.

Veins of modern research have explored its origins in an autoimmune response, and, separately or in relation to an immune response, links to pathologies of infectious disease (viral and bacterial, e.g., in the case of influenza, where a link with encephalitis is clear). Postencephalic Parkinsonism was clearly documented to have followed an outbreak of EL following 1918 influenza pandemic; evidence for viral causation of the Parkinson's symptoms is circumstantial (epidemiologic, and finding influenza antigens in EL patients), while evidence arguing against this cause is of the negative sort (e.g., lack of viral RNA in postencephalic parkinsonian brain material). In reviewing the relationship between influenza and EL, McCall and coworkers conclude, as of 2008, that while "the case against influenza [is] less decisive than currently perceived… there is little direct evidence supporting influenza in the etiology of EL," and that "[a]lmost 100 years after the EL epidemic, its etiology remains enigmatic." Hence, while opinions on the relationship of EL to influenza remain divided, the preponderance of literature appears skeptical.

In 2010, in a substantial Oxford University Press compendium reviewing the historic and contemporary views on EL, its editor, Joel VIlensky of the Indiana University School of Medicine, quotes Pool, writing in 1930, who states, "we must confess that etiology is still obscure, the causative agent still unknown, the pathological riddle still unsolved…", and goes on to offer the following conclusion, as of that publication date:
Does the present volume solve the "riddle" of EL, which… has been referred to as the greatest medical mystery of the 20th century? Unfortunately, no: but inroads are certainly made here pertaining to diagnosis, pathology, and even treatment."
Subsequent to publication of this compendium, an enterovirus was discovered in EL cases from the epidemic.

Diplococcus has been implicated as a cause of EL."

The John Lang case is disturbing, to say the least.
That sent shivers down my spine especially the special camera in the black van. WTF??

KIC 8462852
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852

"KIC 8462852 (also Tabby's Star or Boyajian's Star) is an F-type main-sequence star located in the constellation Cygnus. Unusual light fluctuations of the star were discovered by citizen scientists as part of the Planet Hunters project, and in September 2015 astronomers and citizen scientists associated with the project posted a preprint of a paper on arXiv describing the data and possible interpretations. The discovery was made from data collected by the Kepler space telescope,which observes changes in the brightness of distant stars to detect exoplanets.

Several hypotheses have been proposed to explain the star's large irregular changes in brightness as measured by its unusual light curve, but none to date fully explain all aspects of the curve. The leading hypothesis, based on a lack of observed infrared light, posits a swarm of cold, dusty comet fragments in a highly eccentric orbit. Another hypothesis is that of a large number of small masses in "tight formation" orbiting the star. It has been speculated that the changes in brightness could be signs of activity associated with intelligent extraterrestrial life constructing a Dyson swarm. The SETI Institute's initial radio reconnaissance of KIC 8462852, however, found no evidence of technology-related radio signals from the star.

KIC 8462852 is not the only star that has large irregular dimmings. However, all other such stars are young stellar objects called YSO dippers that have different dimming patterns. An example of such an object is EPIC 204278916.

Current events:

As of 19 May 2017, a new dip in luminosity has been detected. Additional observations are being coordinated. The Fairborn Observatory in Arizona notified fellow watchers that the star was 3% dimmer. Several observatories, including the Keck telescopes and amateur observatories, are watching and taking spectra of the star."

Since you posted this they have largely written this off as an example of a "circumstellar dust ring" or an uneven band of dust orbiting the star that happens to be positioned in a way that observing the star from our point in space would cause these effects (and it explains the infrared/UV puzzle). But I still dont fully buy it... Still holding out for an ancient Dyson Swarm because how awesome would that be.

And anyway, that still doesnt explain the long term gradual dimming trend of the star.

I will note though that even though the KIC star case has been the darling of the alien speculator folks since Boyajian discovered it, there are actually better examples of really strange phenomenon that we have a hard time explaining with any natural explanation. For example, Przybylski's Star which is filled with an impossible amount of heavy exotic metals like strontium, caesium, thorium, and uranium which we have NEVER observed in such quantities in stellar masses before. It even contains many different short lived actinide elements like berkelium, californium and einsteinium which simply dont ever occur in nature! Yet the star contains barely any iron at all. Completely baffling. What the heck is going on there? Is this an example of a sun used as a dumping ground for radioactive and unstable elements by an alien civilization? If not, what explains the completely unnatural elemental signature of the star itself?

Also the impossible geologically instant vanishing of stellar system mass at star TYC 8241 2652. Trillions of tons of matter just cant disappear overnight like it did here unless something or someone is actively (and quickly!) making it go away. To give it some perspective, its as if we woke up one day to find the asteroid belt completely gone. Definitely not a natural phenomenon at all...

Danny Casolaro & The Octopus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Casolaro
The article is a long one, so I only added the first portion. But it's a very fascinating case and I recommend you visit the wiki page and read it in its entirety.

"Joseph Daniel Casolaro (June 16, 1947 – August 10, 1991) was an American freelance writer who came to public attention in 1991 when he was found dead in a bathtub in room 517 of the Sheraton Hotel in Martinsburg, West Virginia, his wrists slashed 10–12 times. The medical examiner ruled the death a suicide.

His death became controversial because his notes suggested he was in Martinsburg to meet a source about a story he called "the Octopus." This centered on a sprawling collaboration involving an international cabal, and primarily featuring a number of stories familiar to journalists who worked in and around Washington, D.C. in the 1980s—the Inslaw case, about a software manufacturer whose owner accused the Justice Department of stealing its work product; the October Surprise theory that during the Iran hostage crisis, Iran deliberately held back American hostages to help Ronald Reagan win the 1980 presidential election, the collapse of the Bank of Credit and Commerce International, and Iran–Contra.

Casolaro's family argued that he had been murdered; that before he left for Martinsburg, he had apparently told his brother that he had been frequently receiving harassing phone calls late at night; that some of them were threatening; and that if something were to happen to him while in Martinsburg, it would not be an accident. They also cited his well-known squeamishness and fear of blood tests, and stated they found it incomprehensible that if he were going to commit suicide, he would do so by cutting his wrists a dozen times. A number of law-enforcement officials also argued that his death deserved further scrutiny, and his notes were passed by his family to ABC News and Time Magazine, both of which investigated the case, but no evidence of murder was ever found.
"

'Oumuamua
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ʻOumuamua
https://www.space.com/41015-interste...after-all.html

'Oumuamua is the first Interstellar object to reach our solar system. Though it has since been classified as a comet, its origin is unknown.

"This cosmic object was first discovered in 2017 by researchers with the Panoramic Survey Telescope Rapid Response System (Pan-STARRS). Its strange, cigar-like shape, its lack of both a tail and a coma, has made it difficult to categorize — some even suggested it could hold extraterrestrial life. It has so far been classified as a comet, classified as an asteroid, and even put into a new "interstellar objects" class.

'Oumuamua, since its discovery, has been very difficult for researchers to study and understand because, since "this was actually a faint object … we had very little time to observe it," Karen Meech, an astronomer at the University of Hawaii and co-author on the new work, told Space.com. But now, in a paper published today (June 27) in the journal Nature, researchers seem to have concluded that the mysterious interstellar body is a comet. Scientists still don't know where the dark-red, 2,624-foot-long (800 meter) object came from, but at least part of the mystery has now been put to rest.

Tumbling through our solar system, 'Oumuamua's movement and behavior along this journey has led researchers to their conclusion. They found that the arc that 'Oumuamua traveled along can't be entirely explained by the gravitational pull of the sun, planets and other solar system objects. So, as the researchers explained in the new paper, part of the object's acceleration isn't caused by gravity.

Classifying the object as a comet explains its arcing movement and nongravitational acceleration, as comets can be propelled by gas they release.

There are other possible explanations for this acceleration, like magnetic interaction with the solar wind, pressure from solar radiation, and forces of drag and friction. But the researchers ruled these out.

This leaves the remaining explanation that 'Oumuamua is propelled partially by gas, which would indicate that it is a comet.

Meech said that this study "conclusively ends" the mystery of what this object really is, while adding that "there's never a hundred percent guarantee on anything."

These researchers are "inferring that it is a comet based on all available evidence, but there is no other explanation," Meech said. She added that, if they wanted concrete proof that it is a comet, they would have needed to see "a tail of dust and gas, but that just wasn't possible in this case."

Still, 'Oumuamua is anything but a standard comet. It lacks a coma, which is the cloud of gas and dust that usually envelops a comet's core, and researchers didn't observe a classic comet tail. The object also has a noticeably unique appearance. So, with the knowledge that they have, the researchers found that 'Oumuamua must be a comet.

The main remaining mystery about 'Oumuamua is its origin. Researchers still don't know where the object came from and, according to Meech, knowing that the object has nongravitational motion will make it even more difficult to figure out its source."

Blair Adams
http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Blair_Adams
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Blair_Adams

"Blair Adams was a thirty-one-year-old Canadian resident who was found dead in the parking lot of a Knoxville, Tennessee hotel on July 11, 1996. Scattered around his body was nearly $4000 worth of mixed Canadian, American, and German currency. His death was later discovered to be caused by a blow to the stomach. His friends and family would like to know the events that resulted in his death.

Authorities found that in the days before Blair's death, he acted very strange, claiming that people were trying to kill him, and traveled thousands of miles before arriving in Knoxville. First, according to his family, he began suffering from mood swings. He also started having trouble sleeping. When his mother asked what was wrong, he said that he couldn't tell her about "it". On July 5, 1996, he took all the money out of his savings account, along with thousands of dollars in jewelry, gold, and platinum. On July 7, he went to the Canadian-American border, but was denied crossing because he was a single man with a large amount of money, which fit the profile of a drug trafficker.

The next day, Blair arrived at his work, a construction company in Surrey, British Columbia, and quit. That afternoon, he spent $1600 on a round-trip airline ticket from Vancouver to Frankfurt, Germany. His flight would leave the following day. However, just hours after buying the ticket, he went to a friend's house. He said that he needed to get across the border because somebody was trying to kill him. His friend said that she was unable to help. Then, the next day, July 9, he turned in his ticket, rented a car, was able to cross the border, and went to Seattle.

Blair left his rental car at the airport. He then bought a one-way ticket to Washington, DC. This was strange to investigators because it cost twice as much as a round-trip one. After arriving in Washington, DC on July 10, he rented a white Toyota and went to Knoxville. This was also strange because he did not know anyone in the area.

Blair arrived at a gas station at 5:30pm and told the attendant that his rental car wouldn't start. The attendant told him that he had the wrong keys, so he was stranded in Knoxville. A mechanic took him to a hotel and made a lasting impression on the manager. He acted nervous, walking in and out of the lobby a total of five times before getting a room. Afterwards, he went out of the hotel and was never seen alive again.

Twelve hours later, Blair's body, which was naked from the waist down, was found in a parking lot about a half mile from the hotel. There were several strange clues at the scene. His pants had been removed in a pulling motion and were turned inside out. His socks were too. His shoes were off and his shirt was ripped open. Along with the $4000 in various currencies strewn around his body, there was also a fanny pack filled with jewelry, gold, and platinum next to him. Perhaps the most strange clue at the scene was the key to his rental car, which he had apparently lost hours earlier.

The cause of death was a violent blow to Blair's stomach. The weapon, possibly a club or a crowbar, also sliced open his forehead. He did put up a fight; his attacker ripped locks of hair from his head and he had defensive wounds on his hands. Investigators recovered one long strand of hair from his hand, believed to have belonged to the killer. Certain injures also seemed to indicate that he was sexually assaulted. Blair's odyssey had come to a violent end, and although authorities believe that the danger he thought he was in was imaginary, he was murdered, just as he had feared. To this day this mysterious case remains unsolved, but his family hopes that one day someone will be able to tell them the circumstances of his death.

Blair was killed on July 11, 1996, near Interstate 40 in Knoxville. Authorities believe the fatal attack occurred at around 3:30am; a construction worker claimed to have heard a scream coming from the parking lot at that time. Interestingly, he believed that it was a woman's voice."

Dyatlov Pass incident fascinates me so much. Do you guys have any theories about it?

Dyatlov Pass incident fascinates me so much. Do you guys have any theories about it?
Haven't read about it in a while so i can't back this up but i was convinced that it was a deep state of hypothermia to the point that they felt hot rather than cold which is why they were naked, and also that they were violently hallucinating due to it which explains the injuries. I'm sure there was more to it than that, can't remember now. Don't think it was aliens or whatever anyway.

Been watching Buzzfeed Unsolved. Not a fan of Buzzfeed generally but i think the hosts are pretty funny and even though it's mostly cases i'm aware of it's fun to watch them go over the theories. One i hadn't heard of was this (creepy as hell):

Anyone got any other good True Crime/Mystery Youtube Channel suggestions? Almost watched all of their episodes.

I am hooked on the buzzfeed unsolved videos as well. Sometimes I am yelling at the screen because it is so obvious who did it but the police just do nothing! Like the Keddie cabin murders. Seriously if you can't solve a murder that happened in a village of 60 people...

I agree, it's a fascinating case. There are several theories. The big ones being what Camo mentioned, to radiation poisoning.

Russia's Mysterious Satellite
https://www.space.com/41503-russian-...ce-weapon.html

"A Russian satellite that launched to Earth orbit last October has been behaving oddly, raising the possibility that the craft could be some sort of space weapon, a U.S. diplomat warned.

Russia has described the satellite in question as a "space apparatus inspector," Yleem Poblete, assistant secretary for arms control, verification and compliance at the U.S. State Department, said at a conference on disarmament in Geneva yesterday (Aug. 14).

"But its behavior on orbit was inconsistent with anything seen before from on-orbit inspection or space situational-awareness capabilities, including other Russian inspection-satellite activities. We are concerned with what appears to be very abnormal behavior by a declared 'space apparatus inspector,'' Poblete said.

"We don't know for certain what it is, and there is no way to verify it," she added. "But Russian intentions with respect to this satellite are unclear and are obviously a very troubling development — particularly when considered in concert with statements by Russia’s Space Force commander, who highlighted that 'assimilate[ing] new prototypes of weapons [into] Space Forces' military units' is a 'main task facing the Aerospace Forces space troops.'"

In addition, Poblete said, the Russian Ministry of Defence has repeatedly affirmed over the past decade that it's developing anti-satellite capabilities. And a Russian Air Force official said in February 2017 "that Russia is developing new missiles with the express intent of destroying satellites," Poblete added in her 1,800-word speech, which you can read in full at the State Department's website.

Poblete's words fit the official line that has been coming out of Washington for the past few years. U.S. military officials and high-ranking politicians have repeatedly stressed that the nation's space dominance is under threat and that the country needs to be ready for a war that extends into the final frontier.

Indeed, such reasoning has led President Donald Trump's administration to push for the creation of a new military branch called the Space Force.

Russian and Chinese officials have repeatedly denied any malign intent. For example, Alexander Deyneko, a senior Russian diplomat in Geneva, told Reuters that Poblete's speech yesterday contained "the same unfounded, slanderous accusations based on suspicions, on suppositions and so on.""

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Doomsday device?

I am hooked on the buzzfeed unsolved videos as well. Sometimes I am yelling at the screen because it is so obvious who did it but the police just do nothing! Like the Keddie cabin murders. Seriously if you can't solve a murder that happened in a village of 60 people...
I watched this episode, yeah what on earth. It's not like they had no way of bringing them to trial. They had a motive and a witness to that motive (the wife), they had an apparently written confession which just sat for years unopened in an evidence box. Again the wife said it's his handwriting and i'm sure she'd be willing to testify to that plus you could get a handrwriting analyst (even though that's seen as bull by many it seems to work in court), then you have an out of town Psychiatrist whose saying he confessed to him during a session, that dude offered up that information and he has no motive to lie so i'm sure he'd testify to that. Plus there was apparently two of them, all of that is enough to press charges then possibly enough to get the other to flip on him. You also have his son being left alive in the room, baffling.

I don't usually buy into coverups unless there's some evidence for it but this seems like more than incompetence to me.

I watched this episode, yeah what on earth. It's not like they had no way of bringing them to trial. They had a motive and a witness to that motive (the wife), they had an apparently written confession which just sat for years unopened in an evidence box. Again the wife said it's his handwriting and i'm sure she'd be willing to testify to that plus you could get a handrwriting analyst (even though that's seen as bull by many it seems to work in court), then you have an out of town Psychiatrist whose saying he confessed to him during a session, that dude offered up that information and he has no motive to lie so i'm sure he'd testify to that. Plus there was apparently two of them, all of that is enough to press charges then possibly enough to get the other to flip on him. You also have his son being left alive in the room, baffling.

I don't usually buy into coverups unless there's some evidence for it but this seems like more than incompetence to me.

You want to talk potential cover-ups, read the Marc Dutroux case. It's a serious mindf*ck and leaves you questioning everything.