Best Science Fiction Movie - All Time

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Kiss Me Deadly (1955) a sci fi? say what
It did have some light sci-fi elements for the time. The call-screening with the giant wall answering machine comes to mind...

It did have some light sci-fi elements for the time. The call-screening with the giant wall answering machine comes to mind...
Yeah I know, great film, I was joking around. Though I'd never call it sci-fi.

Kiss Me Deadly (1955) a sci fi? say what If that's the case my favorite sci fi is:

Mary Poppins is a fantasy film, not science fiction.

Kiss Me Deadly(1955) is one of my favorite 50's atomic age sci fi films because it takes a different approach to the genre. Typically in a 50's atomic horror film the weapon is used in the first act and you get the giant monster or the mutated scientist. In Kiss Me Deadly that first act is stretched into an entire film, it's a genre breaker.

Metropolis unless you count the Thing as Sci fi. I think of it as horror first.
That's the problem I have with Alien, so I know where you're coming from. I've never seen Metropolis but I do have it on DVD.
Oh yeah. Actually with Alien ive always seen it as half and half. Before this thread I never thought of The Thing as science fiction even though it has those elements it feels horror first while Alien sorta goes from a science fiction movie in the first half to a slasher horror in the second.

One ive never understood why its often labled science fiction though is A Clockwork Orange.

Oh yeah. Actually with Alien ive always seen it as half and half. Before this thread I never thought of The Thing as science fiction even though it has those elements it feels horror first while Alien sorta goes from a science fiction movie in the first half to a slasher horror in the second.
I see it as half and half too. I just thought of Predator actually when you mentioned The Thing because of the shot of the spaceship at the beginning. Without that shot you could believe that the threat was supernatural for the first part of the story, which is what the locals think the Predator is, an evil spirit. It's interesting to think of a version of that story where it was an action horror with no aliens or sci-fi trappings at all.

One ive never understood why its often labled science fiction though is A Clockwork Orange.
I suppose because it's set in the near future, but it also involves mental conditioning that will be fictional science in some respects.

Really though even when the alien is loose its not just a case of a fight for survival, you also have Ash's character and the idea the company have traded in their workers lives to further their business.

In Clockwork Orange beyond the futuristic setting you obviously have Alex's treatment as a major plot point that's driving the story.

In the broadest sense I would personally say that sci fi could be classed as cinema that has an element of technology or society that doesn't currently exist which gives the story some moral drive or subtext.

Where science stops and fantasy starts though is always going to be a bit of a grey area I spose isn't it? what about something like Stalker?

Olympic Medalist, Art House Habitue
Metropolis...released in 1927 and directed by Fritz Lang

Well after a lost cat and a broken TV I'm going to try and finish this list.

70. Time After Time(1979)

69. Starship Troopers(1997)

68. Them!(1954)
67. Source Code(2011)

66. Gattica(1997)

65. They Live(1988)

64. Dark City(1998)

63. Prometheus(2012)

62. The Stuff(1985)
61. Short Circuit(1986)

60. World on a Wire (1973)

59. 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

58. Star Wars (1977)

57. Close Encounters of the Third Kind(1977)

56. Eternal Sunshine on a Spotless Mind (2004)

55. Cocoon(1985)

53. Paprika(2006)

52. Metropolis (1927)

51. Spaceballs (1987)

@Siddon, you should ask Yoda to move your post into your own Sci Fi countdown thread. I'd love to see that! You're doing a great presentation job, I think it deserves it's own thread.

I am watching '2001: A Space Odyssey' for its 50th Anniversary at the Prince Charles in London next month.

"For the first time since the original release, this 70mm print was struck from new printing elements made from the original camera negative. This is a true photochemical film recreation. There are no digital tricks, remastered effects, or revisionist edits. This is the unrestored film - that recreates the cinematic event that audiences experienced fifty years ago." - Christopher Nolan

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
For me, the best sci-fi movie would be a battle between Terminator 2 and Planet of the Apes (68 version).

I do think its interesting that even though sci fi isn't really a "genre" to the same degree as say horror it is still tends to be dominanted by certain directors, often who have a sci fi phase of their career....

Scott - Alien and Blade Runner
Kubrick - 2001 and A Clockwork Orange
Tarkovsky - Solaris and Stalker
Cameron - Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss and Terminator 2
Carpenter - Escape From Newyork, The Thing and Starman
Nolan - Inception and Interstellar
Jones - Moon and Source Code

Alot of those films from the same director are actually quite different yet they have the sci fi setting to them.

Tbh I've never even heard of All Time let alone watched it

Kiss Me Deadly (1955) a sci fi? say what If that's the case my favorite sci fi is:

This got me laughing so hard I had tears running down my leg!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I suppose Kiss Me Deadly has sci-fi elements in such as

SPOILER

coming into contact with radioactive material causes a person to go up in flames, if I remember correctly.

Black Hole (1979) was a childhood favorite.

Tron (1981) Was another. Such a unique idea especially considering the infancy of computers at the time and no CGI available. Pretty incredible they were able to pull off the visual effects that they did.

Black Hole (1979) was a childhood favorite.

Tron (1981) Was another. Such a unique idea especially considering the infancy of computers at the time and no CGI available. Pretty incredible they were able to pull off the visual effects that they did.
I seen Tron at the theater when it first came out, it blew me away. It still works today! Black Hole, is a fun sci fi flick, not great but it's cool at times.