2018 Movie Releases - Luis' Reviews/Thoughts

→ in
Tools    

Stepping into the Purge franchise eh? This one is a solid introduction, but there are better ones if you check out the others in the series

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Stepping into the Purge franchise eh? This one is a solid introduction, but there are better ones if you check out the others in the series
I've heard pretty good things about the second one, will probably end up checking it out later. Which one's your favorite?

The first two are equally very good in my opinion, and you won't miss much if you watch them out of order. The third one is passable.

The first two are equally very good in my opinion, and you won't miss much if you watch them out of order. The third one is passable.
Mmmm... I'll probably end up watching them sometime this month.

34. Ant-Man and the Wasp

Director: Peyton Reed

It's kinda mind-blowing that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is already at twenty films, and after the hard-hitting and thematically dark film: Avengers: Infinity War, it was time to get back to out regular schedule in the Marvel Universe, this is both a good, and bad thing. On the one hand, the formula has become so milked that films like these just kinda make you yawn a little bit, on the other, it's a good formula, and it seems to work almost every time with these Marvel films.

It's a very good film, Paul Rudd continues to be very charming as Ant-Man and Evangeline Lily is a nice counter-part to him. It's a fun movie, you'll watch it and you'll be entertained by it, it's very easy to like. The action sequences, while not as inventive as that original 2015 flick are still somewhat clever. The film, once again tries to deliver on that lighthearted humor that Marvel likes to implement, it's funny. Villain was not very good, but hey, it's part of the Marvel formula. I don't know, I guess after watching the new Avengers and Black Panther films, I just though there was some nice momentum going with films that go beyond what a super-hero flick does and should do, those films are magnificent. Going back to the same-old shenanigans just really put in perspective how tired I'm becoming of these films. As a blockbuster, the film delivers, you will go, have fun, laugh a little, and come out happy, it's just that the whole thing is starting to wear of, no matter how effectual the film is.

SCORE - 67/100

35. Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Director: Christopher McQuarrie

I've been kinda disconnected for the past two weeks or so, but I did watch some more 2018 releases, starting with this gem. Wow, talk about an elevated action film, in terms of the genre alone, I'm positive this one of the best I've seen, and definitely the most effectively constructed since Mad Max: Fury Road. Everything about this film is just bonkers, it's like watching Ghost Protocol on steroids.

Each new entry in the MI franchise strives to have that one stand-out action sequence that just blows the doors off and makes your jaw drop, this new installment has multiple that i can think of at the top of my head, and it is shot, directed, edited, and constructed masterfully. Talk about a hand-to-hand combat sequence in a bathroom, a motorcycle chase in the busiest streets, that extended helicopter stunt everybody seems to be talking about, you name it, it's pretty much perfect action. I also appreciate the writing in the film striving to give more depth to the Ethan Hunt character, and while it was a bit forced and out of place at some points, it worked for the most part. I also believe this to be the best plot of any MI film, the most complex, and also the most seamlessly interwoven out of all the other films, you absolutely need to pay attention to every line of dialogue, and I love that. Tom Cruise was amazing of course, at 56 years old, I feel like he's never been better. Definitely watch this if you appreciate elevated action films, I'm sure you'll love it.

SCORE - 95/100

36. Eighth Grade

Director: Bo Burnham

A24 just seems to do no wrong when it comes to Coming of Age flicks, this new entry in their highly acclaimed filmography focuses on a much younger protagonist and her awkward last week of Middle School. The thing that stood out to me instantly, was how genuine and grounded the film felt, it took me right back to my middle school years, there was so much that i recognized and I could relate to. The film is written to play out so realistically, that at times I actually thought I was watching a real pre-teen go through these awkward situations, situations that actually made me very uncomfortable, the cringe was real in this one. Dialogue was highly arresting as well, and there are these monologues sprinkled throughout the picture that were written beautifully and were thought-provoking. There were small instances were I wished the script would've picked out a more interesting plot-line or event, and I'm not sure it'll be too re-watchable later on, but the film did mostly everything right.

SCORE - 76/100

30. Lean on Pete

Director: Andrew Haigh

This is inevitably going to be one of this year's most overlooked/under-watched films. But y'all for real, if you have a chance to see this, please do so, it's seriously good. A24 continues to stand out as the independent studio to keep tabs on as they deliver another masterful film that is arguably also their best one. If it's actually the best for me I'm not sure, I'm very much in love with other films like Lady Bird, but this has got to be in the Top three.

The film tells the story of a semi-poor, yet lovable and content teenager who gets a summer job involving a horse, don't let the simple plot distract you though, as this film beautifully captures the essence of someone being forced to grow up following difficult circumstances, it's exponentially resonant. The narrative takes some deeply emotional twists and turns, and the protagonist is just so likable, that you basically suffer with him, not going to lie, I was legit crying by the end of this film; not tearing up, not sad, full-on crying. Charlie Plummer delivers an absolutely fantastic performance, he is basically now at the top of my radar when it comes to promising young talent. The film normalizes tragedy in such a hard-hitting way, and it displays themes about how life could totally turn you on your head at any moment, regardless of how blessed you think you are. Forreal, if you guys want to watch a deeply human story about life and loss, please give this one a shot, it truly deserves one. I'm always hesitant on giving films a perfect score on the first watch, but even so, I think I have seen the first film released in 2018 that I would call a "masterpiece"

SCORE - 97/100
Glad you liked it. I too thought it was great. The end scene is superb.

One question: The woman at the end that he looks to be making a home with....what relationship do you think she is to Charlie?

Glad you liked it. I too thought it was great. The end scene is superb.

One question: The woman at the end that he looks to be making a home with....what relationship do you think she is to Charlie?
Ending completely made me sob, beautiful all around.

As far as your question, didn't they mention her being his aunt? As in, his dad's sister? I might be wrong, what did you think?

Ending completely made me sob, beautiful all around.

As far as your question, didn't they mention her being his aunt? As in, his dad's sister? I might be wrong, what did you think?
That's what they said in the script, but I've heard a theory that it's his actual mother, and she sufferred some sort of breakdown after having him. I'm not sure myself.

That's what they said in the script, but I've heard a theory that it's his actual mother, and she sufferred some sort of breakdown after having him. I'm not sure myself.
That's interesting, never heard of that actually. I wonder if the director has addressed it...

37. Christopher Robin

Director: Marc Forster

"Delightful" is the word I would use to describe this film, just simply delightful. If you're a fan of films that defy storytelling rules and are constantly switching up the narrative to keep fans on their toes, this is definitely not a film for you. It's very straightforward, what you see is what you get, you think the film is going to go in a specific direction and resolve a certain way, and it definitely does. However, the manner in which the film does so is, like I said. delightful. We are presented to an adorable group of characters who just light up the screen and really just make your heart smile. I also dig the plot, Christopher Robin, after leaving the 100 Acre Wood is now an adult struggling to balance his frustrating job and his frustrated family, Pooh and the gang are re-introduced to his life to teach him the value of fun, and living in the moment. Like I said, not a quintessential staple in cinema, but definitely very effective in bringing those "awwwe" moments. Also beautifully shot, just look at that frame

SCORE - 80/100

38. The Meg

Director: Jon Turteltaub

A film about a giant shark in 2018, what do you expect? Shakespeare? This is not it. I would hardly even call it a good blockbuster film, sure there are moments in here that are crowd-pleaders, and seeing this greater-than-life shark in action is kinda cool and definitely pretty interesting, but the film constantly over-reaches and just does not want to stay in its lane for its own sake.

The film has a very "balls to the wall, pure fun, not-taking-itself-seriously" attitude, yet it still very painfully tries to give you those sad character moments, and deep sequences of sacrifice, and emotion and what not, and I just couldn't help but laugh. Not only because the sequences are so out of this film's reach, but because the dialogue is tremendously atrocious, I would ironically recommend this so y'all can see what I'm talking about when I say this is laughable. Not only is the writing poor when it comes to the dialogue, but also when it comes to characters, an example; the film wants you to know that his one character drinks a lot, and throughout the first 10 minutes of this character's screen-time, you see every single person he bumps into mentioning how he loves to drink, it's like "Okay, I get it, he drinks". I don't know, I wouldn't call it a terrible film because one can have some fun. but I'm going on the lower end of the spectrum of mediocrity.

SCORE - 43/100

39. Tully

Director: Jason Reitman

I was on board with this as soon as I heard it was from the same director as Juno, just a great coming of age comedy that really made my heart smile. While I don't think this movie really compares and the former is clearly superior, I would still say that this is a very engaging film. This one is basically about a stressed mother who gives birth to her third child, she's reluctant to hire a night nanny, but once she gets the help, we see a rediscovery of the fun in life. The mother and the nanny really did play off each other wonderfully and it is absolutely the strongest asset in this, you just really get a clearly defined juxtaposition between a vivacious young woman free of obstacles, and an emotionally drained mother well into her thirties.The writing was very well realized, particularly in the dialogue, while in the beginning a bit outlandish, I still felt like I was watching a documentary of a real woman, I commend the film for staying grounded. A very solid character study, even if at times it feels uneventful, I would absolutely recommend it for it's smart writing, and the highly realistic look at a very relatable situation.

SCORE - 70/100

40. To All The Boys I've Loved Before

Director: Susan Johnson

Wasn't anticipating to watch this, but I didn't have any money to go to the theater, and it was getting pretty popular on Netflix, so I figured, why not? This was much better than that other Neflix film The Kissing Booth which I didn't really like, and it was honestly extremely entertaining. The characters are very well realized, and the lead actress is perfectly likable and she pretty much carries the entire film along with her romantic counterpart. The film actually does a pretty good job at turning a few overdone teen angst tropes on their head, I thought I new exactly where the film was going, and it surprised me in some of its decisions, and they were very well executed. Not a bad film at all, actually very, very good, maybe even great. For what the film was, it did everything in it's power to execute it as well as possible. Color me Impressed.

SCORE - 80/100

41. Upgrade

Director: Leigh Whannell

Definitely one of the more interesting films of the year. As far as concept, execution, and style, you're going to have a hard time finding anything more exclusive than this film, and that is definitely it's strongest asset. The futuristic concept was very well realized and it was so well established that I could easily grasp the sense of stakes in this narrative. The action sequences are so well-directed, and so dynamic, this is also one of the highlights. You won't find action executed this way in any other film this year; so definitely give it a watch on this basis alone. The character work is were the film faults, we are introduced to our main character, he was pretty monotone for me, his character didn't really have any layers that gave me an impulse to root for him. The villains are very forgettable, the writing was very weak around them as well. However, points given for a very explosive and thought-provoling ending! Very well done!

SCORE - 70/100

42. Searching

Director: Aneesh Chaganty

This film is, to me, the most surprising film of the year as of now. There are a handful of 2018 films I like better, but I was incredibly sure this was going to be at best underwhelming, and at worst, torturous. This was actually fantastic. The plot revolves around a father who desperately pulls as many strings as possible to find his missing daughter; except, it is all told through a computer. There are a couple of films with the same format, undeniably a reason I was so turned off by this film prior to watching it. But this particular picture completely owns the format, there is a sense of expertise in the way it is used, it's clever in its delivery and intelligent about the way it sets up information for later reveals/connections.

I was dumbfounded by how well everything was laid out and how it wound up connecting, it's good storytelling. Another thing that elevates this film miles above others with the same gimmick, is the characters. Before, and during the shenanigans, we delve deep into these characters, their connections and psyche are displayed perfectly. It also manages to put some commentary on social media and the toxicity of strangers easily spreading their opinions on a subject that is sensitive to someone. The film was incredibly engaging, highly arresting, surprisingly thought-provoking, smart, and thrilling.

SCORE - 90/100

I completely agree on Searching. It didn't ever directly address the dangers of social media theory, but you definitely feel it. It does elude to how someone's online presence can be so much different from their real persona.

39. Tully

Director: Jason Reitman
I get what you mean about the dialogue, it made all the Characters fell really grounded and real. I loved this movie too, everything about it was well executed. This movie is also more proof of how amazing Charlize Theron is.

I get what you mean about the dialogue, it made all the Characters fell really grounded and real. I loved this movie too, everything about it was well executed. This movie is also more proof of how amazing Charlize Theron is.
Oh yeah, she's fantastic! This is definitely one of those smaller gems of 2018 as a lot of people haven't even heard of this film.