In The Line of Fire appreciation thread

Tools    

To me, the best political thriller of the 90s, and strangely it seems forgotten nowadays.

John Malkovich's performance was just astounding... truly one of the most underrated villains. And Eastwood is at the top of his game in terms of screen presence and charisma.

The movie's formula would be copied later on in the decade with HORRIBLE political thrillers that can't compare, like Nick of Time and The Jackal.

Not the most complex film, it's pretty straight forward and predictable... it's strength lies heavily on the chemistry between Eastwood and Malkovich.

And let 's not forget the earnest and hapless agent played by Dylan McDermott. Who ( small spoiler ahead) did not , alas make it through the entire film. In a moment that's pivotal in the story and to Clint.

This is one of my all time!!! favorite thrillers, and I rewatch it every time it's replayed on my local movie channel. Maybe it's not complex in its plot line. ( though I honestly like a mystery I can follow, rather than the type of convoluted plot line ya can't decipher without a GPS. ) But it has the kind of strong characters, compelling premise (the agent who missed the bullet for JFK) , great pacing, combination of action and character revealing dialog, humor, romance and grit that makes this - for me anyway- a timeless classic.

Off the top of my head, some memorable scenes and lines include:
the phone call that interupts the almost act of passion about to be - after the pair strip and all their weaponry loudly clatters to the floor and Clint saying: " D<{{n now I gotta put all this stuff back on."

Maljovich swaying in the street like a junkie, his sharing his homemade gun with hunters, Clint not shaking the hand of the two faced politico who tried to dismiss him at the end. Great action, great chemistry, and JM so excellent as a disgusting evil monster in the role - I think I've hated his guts ever since.

Clint in the performance of his life.

And the best scene at the end, overlooking the pool
when Clint says;
" I know something about pigeons"
Lmao

Great movie, hope more people discover it.

Ahh yes! I remember this being a great movie...Mind you I haven't seen it for probably over 10 years now. Definitely going to bust this out and give it re-watch! Thanks for giving such great detail above, I had forgotten about this one.