Potential Oscar Candidates for 2002

Tools    

So. No "Moulin Rouge"??

That's sad.

Ah, well.
I'll get back to you early January then -- no doubt we'll have plenty to talk about.

"Gangs of New York?" I'm like 90% sure that it's being released too late to be eligible for this year's Oscar considerations. I could be wrong, but I'm nearly positive I read that a month or so ago.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Hmmmm...

I think that even the movies you would like to win, Holden, might get a snub and be passed for Pearl Harbor.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I know everybody is in a patriotic mood and everything, but I hope Pearl Harbor doesn't get any major noms, like for Picture. It was a horrible movie, save the FX in the battle sequences. Horrible. If Pearl Harbor gets consideration because of 9-11-01, that'll be yet another tragedy. Awful, awful movie.

Of course stranger things have happened. But I'm hoping the Academy finds a better way to show its patriotism.

Personally I don't think Moulin Rouge is Best Picture material, but we'll see. It'll get noms for stuff like Costume and Set Design sure, but Picture may be a stretch.

And while Gangs of New York's wide release is being pushed back from early December, it is still going to get the requisite NY & LA openings before the end of the year to qualify for this year's awards.

In case anybody has missed the rule over the years, to be elligible in a given year a film must play at least one day on certain specified screens in NY or LA from Januray 1st to December 31st. The oddest story about this qualification is Charlie Chaplin's Limelight. It was a bit of a misunderstood bust when released originally in 1952 and it didn't even play in NY or LA. So, when it was re-released in 1972, including the specified Los Angeles area theaters, it became elligible for Oscars. It got one nomination: Best Original Dramatic Score...and it won. So twenty years after its first release it got elligibilty and an Oscar. Kee-ray-zee, man.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Ah yes, the NY/LA release. I thought I'd read that it wasn't even going to make it in time for those...but I suppose I heard wrong. Personally I think it's a great idea...if it wins a few Oscars, it'll receive that hype at a time when it can benefit from it at the box office...or is my little internal clock way off? Anyway, it looks interesting...although I've got to wonder how many more crime-related movies he's gonna do.

Guy
I thought Gangs of NY was delayed 'till Spring, that's cool that it will get Oscar nominations during / around its release

Holden, I'm with you 100%.
Pearl Harbour was the most horrendous waste of celluloid I have ever seen.

It'll be interesting to see if the Academy continue their "fine" tradition of "repaying" candidates for "stolen" or "gypped" Oscars from the past....

*cough*martinscorcese*cough*!!

Yeah, they'd better not. That stuff really irks me. If a guy makes a ton of movies that are great, but apparently not great enough to win the Oscar, then just keep waiting and give him the Lifetime Achievement Award for his terrific longevitiy.

Originally posted by Holden Pike
I know everybody is in a patriotic mood and everything, but I hope Pearl Harbor doesn't get any major noms, like for Picture. It was a horrible movie, save the FX in the battle sequences. Horrible. If Pearl Harbor gets consideration because of 9-11-01, that'll be yet another tragedy. Awful, awful movie.

Amen to that. I wish all the money they spent on Pearl Harbor was given to the Red Cross.

I think Mulholland Drive and Waking Life should be up for picture, but neither of them will get noms. I just hope David Lynch gets his directing nomination for Mulholland - I mean, wow! But, knowing the academy's avoidance of movies that could be called "experimental", I doubt either of these movies will get anything.

Moulin Rouge opened too early and didn't make enough money to get any serious consideration for anything more than tech awards. IMO, of course.

Gangs of New York was pushed back to April, I believe. No matter that the World Trade Towers are nowhere to be seen in it.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet

It'll be interesting to see if the Academy continue their "fine" tradition of "repaying" candidates for "stolen" or "gypped" Oscars from the past....

"gypped" huh? Not a lot people know this...so I'll do a little light hearted education here. Saying that you or someone has been gypped, is derogitory slang. Stemming from the gyp-sies. I'm a gypsy. Some of my family came from Romania. Back in the day...a band of gypsies would come through town, performing tricks and doing odd jobs. Occasionally, the female gypsies would break up marriages with their sexy ways. and sometimes they stole stuff...hence," gypped". It's just as bad as saying somebody "jewed" you down on the price of your car. Anyhoo...just a little history lesson for you folks. I took no offense Silver B.

I can't even use the words I want anymore?! Talk about gypped.

:P

I didn't think you would, Sades.
My comment still stands.

Now With Moveable Parts
* gasp* you used the expression again! All you Aussies are the same! You remind me of Russel Crowe. Just kidding of course.

One of my oscar bets is that Memento is going to win for editing. I know it's a minor award, but it's used as a tie breaker in my family.

Memento should get a nod for screenplay. I mean that's a pretty good story...

WARNING: "Memento" spoilers below
He was chasing himself

Now With Moveable Parts
Guess what!?

I have a new prediction. Just saw the previews for I Am Sam. It stars Micheal Phiffer and Sean Penn. Sean Penn plays a mentaly challenged individual that is fighting for his right to raise his daughter...looks like Phiffer plays an attorney that gets pretty involved in the case. Anytime a movie comes out this close to next year, and the lead role is someone mentaly or physically challenged( think Forrest Gump and My Left Foot) there usually is major Oscar pull. I'm going Sean Penn, for at least a nomination.

He was great in Sweet Lowdown, and he was nominated for that.
In 1998 I believe.

He was gypped, when you think about it.
Okay, I'll stop. I just had to. One last time.

You guys are forgetting about About Schmidt for a whole host of Oscar nominations (yet to be released but it's generating GREAT buzz) especially for Jack Nicholson. If he doesn't get one for The Pledge , and I expect that film was forgotten about by many, sadly, a few seconds after it was released, at least for Oscar consideration, he'll get a nomination for About Schmidt and I wouldn't be surprised if it's up for a few other major awards like Picture and Directon, etc. but let's not cry for the guy he already has three Academy Awards, two for acting. So, he's not really hurting in that area.

Now Holden Clint Eastwood that's a guy that needs to be recognized (who agrees with me?) by those stupid Academy Awards..granted he's already gotten 2 but for the same movie..I'd like to see him win an award for Best Actor....probably will never happen though....sadly.... ...if you're going to cry about somebody not receiving an Award for a much deserved performance talk about Clint for Unforgiven he was out and out robbed on that one...Pacino was given it for his "body of work'" and his whole host of nominations not for his performance in A Scent of A Woman at least not in my opinion.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by AKA23
You guys are forgetting about About Schmidt for a whole host of Oscar nominations (yet to be released but it's generating GREAT buzz) especially for Jack Nicholson. If he doesn't get one for The Pledge , and I expect that film was forgotten about by many, sadly, a few seconds after it was released, at least for Oscar consideration, he'll get a nomination for About Schmidt and I wouldn't be surprised if it's up for a few other major awards like Picture and Directon, etc. but let's not cry for the guy he already has three Academy Awards, two for acting. So, he's not really hurting in that area.

Well let's HOPE his performance in About Schmidt was better than in the Pledge. Sorry, that movie just lacked. Whew, it was hard going for me. Couldn't get into it AT ALL!

Well, we can predict and hope that the movies we think should win will get at least a nomination, but probably won't happen with some of the better flicks. For instance, Memento, or The Pledge. Which really sucks.

Maybe with the awards in their new theatre they might start making some good choices. Who knows.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Yeah, they'd better not. That stuff really irks me. If a guy makes a ton of movies that are great, but apparently not great enough to win the Oscar, then just keep waiting and give him the Lifetime Achievement Award for his terrific longevitiy.
But they were great enough to win an Oscar. Taxi Driver was better than Rocky, Raging Bull was better than Ordinary People, and Goodfellas was better than Dances with Wolves.

Originally posted by Arthur Dent

But they were great enough to win an Oscar. Taxi Driver was better than Rocky, Raging Bull was better than Ordinary People, and Goodfellas was better than Dances with Wolves.
Amen, amen, and amen. One could even argue that those movies are the best of their respective decades.

I wish the academy would pull its head out of its a-s, and give Emma Thompson a nomination for Wit.