Raul's Film Thoughts

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Get Out

Really liked this one. I loved how the eerieness of the film grew as time went on. I loved the two leads chemistry in the film, almost so much that it was pretty devasting when you found out exactly who Williams character was. Daniel Kaluuya was good too and it's nice to see him get an Oscar nomination. I also liked Keener in the creepy mom role and it was a great scene with Kaluuya sitting in the chair in front of her crying. The film was very original so it gets a lot of credit for that. It's great to see the film have a nice ending that wraps it all up. Probably my seventh favorite of the year currently, but I'll definitely revisit it again and who knows what I'll feel from there.

+

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Re: Mother - Eating baby flesh, as most of the movie, is metaphorical - the eating of Christ's flesh and drinking of his blood during communion. But it's effective as a horror motif also. Phantom Thread isn't weird to you? Or is it OK because it's lush and "tasteful"?

The human imagination is incredibly expansive. And what are we going to do, start limiting ideas? Especially in art, where they're used for exploring humanity in whatever way they go about that (whether it's shallow or meaningful exploration is an entirely worthwhile discussion, but you didn't seem to touch on that). I don't personally think any ideas are truly putrid unless they are brought into reality in a harmful way. In other words, the actual act of child cannibalism (which has happened in history and is not just a unique figment of Aronofsky's mind) is wrong and indeed putrid, but using it fictionally for art is not.

PS Raul I don't mean this as an attack or even criticism of your writing abilities (which constantly impress me), just a personal disagreement.

Re: Mother - Eating baby flesh, as most of the movie, is metaphorical - the eating of Christ's flesh and drinking of his blood during communion. But it's effective as a horror motif also. Phantom Thread isn't weird to you? Or is it OK because it's lush and "tasteful"?
Mother was effective to me, obviously it was metaphorical but still a bit too out there for my film tastes. Aronofsky doesn't strike a chord with me yet.

The human imagination is incredibly expansive. And what are we going to do, start limiting ideas? Especially in art, where they're used for exploring humanity in whatever way they go about that (whether it's shallow or meaningful exploration is an entirely worthwhile discussion, but you didn't seem to touch on that). I don't personally think any ideas are truly putrid unless they are brought into reality in a harmful way. In other words, the actual act of child cannibalism (which has happened in history and is not just a unique figment of Aronofsky's mind) is wrong and indeed putrid, but using it fictionally for art is not.

PS Raul I don't mean this as an attack or even criticism of your writing abilities (which constantly impress me), just a personal disagreement.
It's all good, I know I'm in the minority here, just hated it which was frustrating because Lawrence, Bardem, and Harris are all top notch talent and, well the movie didn't have an effect on me.

No problem, I don't even think you're really in the minority. It's one of the most polarizing films I've seen come out recently, certainly the most polarizing film of last year.

Cricket didn't think much of it either. I understand why it's polarizing but i loved it. No doubt the allegories and metaphors were heavy handed but that doesn't bother me as i think everything else was so effective, no film has made me that angry while enjoying what i was watching so much i think. Plus Pfeiffer was so good. Agreed on Bardem but there wasn't much he could do with that role i don't think.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I seem to appreciate mother! more than the average person, but I know there's a good amount of people in the forum that genuinely like it, so I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm so glad you liked Get Out, it's such a special film. Looking forward to see what else you've seen!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I seem to appreciate mother! more than the average person, you liked Get Out, it's such a special film. Looking forward to see what else you've seen!
How so. Luis?

Rust and Bone

Forgot to post about this one from last week. I thought it was a really solid film. I particularly loved the performance of Marion Cotillard who is usually good in everything she does. It may be my favorite performance of hers to date. It was a pretty heartbreaking ending that helped bridge the film together. I haven't heard of many mofos seeing this so I would recommend it.

Rust and Bone

Forgot to post about this one from last week. I thought it was a really solid film. I particularly loved the performance of Marion Cotillard who is usually good in everything she does. It may be my favorite performance of hers to date. It was a pretty heartbreaking ending that helped bridge the film together. I haven't heard of many mofos seeing this so I would recommend it.

Noticed you watched this. I saw it a couple years ago but remember very little. I should check it out again. I have come to love Cottiard.

Are you asking about mother! or Get Out? If it's the former, I thought it was very well shot, and very original. The first two acts I thought mixed metaphors with a narrative extremely well. The final act got a bit crazy for my taste, but Jennifer Lawrence took it home for me with her performance.

Are you asking about mother! or Get Out? If it's the former, I thought it was very well shot, and very original. The first two acts I thought mixed metaphors with a narrative extremely well. The final act got a bit crazy for my taste, but Jennifer Lawrence took it home for me with her performance.
This quote, matey

I seem to appreciate mother! more than the average person
Please Please dont fall into the IMDB habit of dreaming 'Am I the only one'.

Please Please dont fall into the IMDB habit of dreaming 'Am I the only one'.
Lol, didn't realize I sounded that way, thanks for letting me know. I'm not often on IMDB but that's hilarious!

Lol, didn't realize I sounded that way, thanks for letting me know. I'm not often on IMDB but that's hilarious!
Sorry if I came across as harsh and thanks for taking it so well. Those guys were terrible and I know you're not like that. I think they suffocated IMDB and it's why amazon blew that old dinosaur out of the water.

It (2017)

Pretty bad IMO. A few jumps but I wasn't overly impressed with Pennywise TBH. The kids on the other hand were mainly just flat out obnoxious and I often felt myself being bored with the film. A disappointment surely although I never thought it would be all that great to begin with. Takes over the spot for my worst film of the year.

A little surprised by your take on It. I found The Losers Club quite endearing. The kids made the film and gave it a real Stand By Me quality. I also liked the new portrayal of Pennywise, even if it pales in comparison to Curry's version (although I think the new film is far better than the original). I just wish they had gone a more practical route with Pennywise's new design instead of featuring so much CGI.

Rust and Bone hasn't stuck with me, but I remember being very impressed with Cotillard. Still haven't seen Get Out. Never heard of Are You Here? or Curve, but anytime I see such a low rating for a film, the masochist inside of me always feels a sudden desire to seek out said film.

There seems to be no middle ground with mother!, and I'm not surprised you fall on the negative side. What are the other two Aronofsky films you've seen?

I have high hopes for I, Tonya and The Florida Project. I expect to be bored to death by The Darkest Hour. You're one of the very few people I've seen speak highly of it beyond Oldman's performance.

I didn't read your Phantom Thread review since you specified spoilers, but I'm very pleased to see how much you liked it given all the shade you typically throw at PTA. Now go watch Boogie Nights!

Porco Rosso was the closest I came to falling in love with a Miyazaki film, perhaps due to its Old Hollywood feel, so it's cool to see you rate it so highly. I just watched The Sword in the Stone for the first time recently and didn't care much for it. I'll agree with you that Archimedes was the best part, but I hated all the long, drawn-out, transforming-into-animals-as-a-teaching-lesson sh*t. For such a short film, it really dragged for me. I'd consider it one of Disney's weaker films, although I haven't seen most of them since I was a child.

Anyways, glad to see you're continuing to write down your thoughts on films on occasion. I always enjoy reading them.

Annihilation

Who would have known Sci-Fi and Horror would fit so well. Going into it I didn't even know if had a minor classification as a horror which really threw me for a surprise. Like Arrival (although obviously nothing like the film plot wise) the films strengths are it's visuals and the amazing sound of the film. It creates an eerie, unique, chilling and mysterious atmosphere. I really loved the journey that we were taken on and the plot was very original (just saw now that it's a book adaptation). Portman was really good and every film I see her in makes me appreciate her more. Also liked Jennifer Jason Leigh's character too. Lots of layers to this film and a lot to digest. The ending is one that is rather haunting and rather unique all at the same time. This is one that I would recommend @Sedai and @The Rodent to see because I think they'd love it. I don't want to say much about plot because I don't want to spill the beans but it just seemed like a really well told thought provoking story. Of course there's a few gut wrenching scenes that I honestly could have done without but I see the effectiveness behind it.