Raul's Film Thoughts

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'll certainly let you know, Raul. You have a beautiful way with words.
Sweet thanks Dani. I've been trying to get better at these mini reviews. I'm certainly not the type for the big ones. Short and sweet is what I go for.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Sweet thanks Dani. I've been trying to get better at these mini reviews. I'm certainly not the type for the big ones. Short and sweet is what I go for.
That's great, Raul. I'll follow you. SoW really grabbed my attention.

Sword in the Stone

Technically this is far from a great animation but it is one that I enjoy and go back to often. With my favorite character being Archimedes. I love that birds sarcasm. My favorite part would also go to the Wizards duel at the end, where Merlin outsmart Mad Mad Mad Madame Mim!

+

Molly's Game

I really wanted this to be better than it was. Jessica Chastain was really great. It's hard when you like someone's performance so much but it can't equate to holding up the rest of the film to make it a great movie. In a way I think Sorkin gets kind of obsessed with angles of his story, to the point where he centralizes his focus to much on things that don't need a lot of attention. I didn't know Bloom was a skier before this film but he played that angle pretty big here so much that it started off the film in a confusing way. The way he would bounce back between present time and the past was also done in strange fashion for me. Even the narration wouldn't have been a good idea but luckily it was Chastain doing the narrating so how could you really go wrong. If you take Chastain out and don't have Edris Elba in the film, you are left with pretty minimal gains. Luckily they are in it to save it a bit. I also did like how he didn't let the poker stuff become to complex, focusing in on Molly's story rather than the game of poker itself. For now I'll settle with a score that goes down the middle. Would probably be awhile before I saw it again but with Chastain anything is possible.

+

Sword in the Stone

Technically this is far from a great animation but it is one that I enjoy and go back to often. With my favorite character being Archimedes. I love that birds sarcasm. My favorite part would also go to the Wizards duel at the end, where Merlin outsmart Mad Mad Mad Madame Mim!

+
It's one of the best Disney films. So fun and it holds up a lot better than most of my other favourites as a kid.

Really looking forward to Molly's Game, I found your review very interesting, very curious to see how I will feel.
Maybe I was a bit harsh on it, but like I said I feel no Chastain the movie wouldn't be good.

Darkest Hour

What a powerful performance by Gary Oldman. I honestly never followed Winston Churchill much in the history scheme of things but his performance was fantastic and it looks like many other agree with that. It's cool to see vantage points of issues from other countries points of view rather than the American view, so I really dug that concept (almost makes me wonder if I were too harsh on a film like Letters from Iwo Jima). I like the comedic undertones that Oldman gives his character. Like I said I'm not sure if Churchill was a joker but he certainly cracked me up a few times. I especially enjoyed his temper tantrum at the beginning of the film as Layton made errors and forgot to double space. I also liked the part with him giving the V for Victory sign and it being in the paper showed to him by Layton. The movie is on a technical scale superb as well. I love the look of the film, the locations that were used and built and the dark shadows within the rooms that give the film a nice look. The music used in the film is great as well. Its a movie that has great scenes which equal out to be a great overall movie. Ive already named some but my two absolute favorites are Churchill on the phone with Roosevelt and then the ending scene scene with the papers flying and Churchill walking out was very well made. My third favorite of 2017 so far.

I like the comedic undertones that Oldman gives his character. Like I said I'm not sure if Churchill was a joker but he certainly cracked me up a few times.
Same for me. I found him really likable whereas in The Crown he's an ass hat control freak that makes me want to smack him in the teeth.

And yes to the look of it. Absolutely!

The Post

The trailer of the year certainly for me. But also the biggest film disappointment of the year. Maybe it's because so many big names were attached that I expected the world. I loved Spielberg's camera shots, but I was hoping the film could have a few shock and awe moments however those were not to be had. I'm not the biggest Streep fan. She was good but not as extraordinary as I had expected that this would translate too. Hanks was pretty decent but he's had tons of better performances. I always wanted to get into journalism so with that aspect I was hoping for an intriguing storyline but I just felt it to be ok. The best part was the camera angles and shots. Very sharp and I especially enjoyed the look of the films last take. Other than that, I legitimately think the trailer is better than the movie.

+

Detroit

I think this was actually my first Bigelow film. It's another film that is shot splendidly. It felt like it was taking place in it's time so it was very effective with that. The scenes at the Algiers were intense and that was certainly the best part of the film. The acting was ok but it was helped by a very good screenplay. It's a top 10 film in a year that's been shaky for me so far.

I'm going to watch The Post but I'm not expecting much. It looks bland to me.

I've got Detroit coming for next weekend. I've seen and liked/loved everything Bigelow has done. Strange Days and Near Dark are big favorites of mine.

I'm going to watch The Post but I'm not expecting much. It looks bland to me.

I've got Detroit coming for next weekend. I've seen and liked/loved everything Bigelow has done. Strange Days and Near Dark are big favorites of mine.
Same for me. I already feel disappointed.

Detroit I hadnt heard of until a day or two ago.

The Post keeps being panned by people's opinion who I respect. Not a good sign.

Pleased you enjoyed Detroit. I think I like it more than most for some reason.

The Post keeps being panned by people's opinion who I respect. Not a good sign.

Pleased you enjoyed Detroit. I think I like it more than most for some reason.
The Post just seems really divisive. People either really love it or not at all. I havent seen any in between views. I actually really want to see movies that do that to see why more than anything else, but this time I'm just feeling ho hum about it, like Meryl suddenly just ran out of steam. And the headlines of 'feminist movie of the year' in the current climate just turn me off a bit. Not really sure why.

Detroit looks like a really good movie. I dont know anything about that race riot so going in blind which is good.

The Post just seems really divisive. People either really love it or not at all. I havent seen any in between views. I actually really want to see movies that do that to see why more than anything else, but this time I'm just feeling ho hum about it, like Meryl suddenly just ran out of steam. And the headlines of 'feminist movie of the year' in the current climate just turn me off a bit. Not really sure why.

Detroit looks like a really good movie. I dont know anything about that race riot so going in blind which is good.
Yeah, it's Spielberg, Streep, and Hanks so no chance I skip it entirely but my enthusiasm is way down.

Hope you enjoy Detroit. I was unfamiliar as well. Bigelow is a great director. Check out my review after you see it.

[b]
I really wanted this to be better than it was. Jessica Chastain was really great. It's hard when you like someone's performance so much but it can't equate to holding up the rest of the film to make it a great movie. In a way I think Sorkin gets kind of obsessed with angles of his story, to the point where he centralizes his focus to much on things that don't need a lot of attention. I didn't know Bloom was a skier before this film but he played that angle pretty big here so much that it started off the film in a confusing way. The way he would bounce back between present time and the past was also done in strange fashion for me. Even the narration wouldn't have been a good idea but luckily it was Chastain doing the narrating so how could you really go wrong. If you take Chastain out and don't have Edris Elba in the film, you are left with pretty minimal gains. Luckily they are in it to save it a bit. I also did like how he didn't let the poker stuff become to complex, focusing in on Molly's story rather than the game of poker itself. For now I'll settle with a score that goes down the middle. Would probably be awhile before I saw it again but with Chastain anything is possible.

+

I felt the same about it so I dont think you were too harsh. I could have done without the narration the way it was because she seemed quite bored with it all. Mybe she was trying to portray someone who was just so burnt out on life, in which case it was well done but it distracted me as it was. I love Chastain but I'd like to see her in a lighter, more likable role for once.

I also liked the fact it didnt focus in on the game itself. I havent got a clue about poker so that would have lost me right there, and I loved the intro with the skiing which I didnt know about.

Yeah, it's Spielberg, Streep, and Hanks so no chance I skip it entirely but my enthusiasm is way down.

Hope you enjoy Detroit. I was unfamiliar as well. Bigelow is a great director. Check out my review after you see it.
I dont know why I had never heard of the riot. I'm surprised it hasnt come up lately with the way race relations are.

Sorry, I forgot to commen - about to crash badly. I will, Sean. Thnks.