Stephen King's Doctor Sleep

Tools    

Though the guy who played Jack Torrance did well, that was my least favorite part of the movie. I was waiting for a Jack Nicholson cameo at some point, and to bring his character back without him playing the role felt out of place.

Though the guy who played Jack Torrance did well, that was my least favorite part of the movie.
This is that guy
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Caught this a couple weeks ago...

I love The Shining.
And I had reservations about the sequel.

Now, being an enthusiast on Kubrick's movie, I never read up on anything on this movie before seeing this movie, but I wish I had.

There's things about this movie that didn't make sense on first watch, because I had avoided all the Wiki pages and the IMDb stuff, trailers and so on.

The thing that let me down due to not reading about this film beforehand, was I thought I was watching a sequel to the original movie... this isn't a direct sequel to Kubrick's movie.

... a couple recastings of characters, and some liabilities with storytelling, it made me think I was watching a poorly planned sequel...

But... this movie is a spiritual sequel to the original movie... yet is based on the Doctor Sleep book by King, which is itself an actual sequel to the original book.

Hard to explain, but, the Doctor Sleep movie draws upon all mediums: The Doctor Sleep book, and the original Shining movie... and also the original Shining novel.

Just like the original Kubrick movie draws "inspiration" from King's original novel... but changes a few things.
King hated the original movie because of the changes, but it's considered a masterpiece.

This movie does the same thing as Kubrick's masterpiece... it has a similar plot to the source book, a plot that makes sense (kinda) and also changes a few things... but is it a masterpiece?

No.
But it's almost close.

One thing I hated was the treatment of Abra. She's pretty much a Mary Sue.
I've not ready the novel, so I have no idea if she's the same in the book... but from what the movie portrays, she's all powerful from the immediate start. She never feels in danger or in trouble, and it makes me wonder why she even calls upon Danny.
Mary Sue's maaan.... surely Hollywood should learn by now.

But... I loved how she was portrayed as confident, yet also doesn't know exactly everything about the world of "shining". She has a naivety about her, which Danny teaches her about.
She's strong, but naive.
So I guess I can kinda look past her OTT "abilities".

McGregor as Danny... great casting.
Drunken lout, who feels his own pain and failings... and has ghosts from the past following him around.
McGregor plays a really good adult Danny with troubles.

Cliff Curtis, who usually shows up as a small role or cameo in small movies makes a fantastic appearance too as Danny's pal.

The recasted roles in Wendy Torrence, Jack Torrence, and Dick Halloran were hit and miss.
Jack Torrence now played by Henry "E.T Elliot" Thomas was a miss. He looks the part, but doesn't act or sound right.

However... Alex Essoe as Wendy and Carl Lumbly as Halloran... inspired casting.
These two are perfect.
Rebecca Ferguson as Rose The Hat is also, absolutely brilliant.

All in all... I wish I'd have know this wasn't a direct sequel to Kubrick's masterpiece before I went in... it is, and I'm coining a phrase here... an amalgamation-spiritual-sequel.
But... it's still very, very good.

My rating: 96%

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I just mentally dismissed this as certain to fail, might give it a watch now.

A system of cells interlinked
I thoroughly enjoyed Doctor Sleep. I also want to see the extended version, which is told in a chapter format.

All in all... I wish I'd have know this wasn't a direct sequel to Kubrick's masterpiece before I went in... it is, and I'm coining a phrase here... an amalgamation-spiritual-sequel.
But... it's still very, very good.

My rating: 96%
That's a fine recommendation. I believe you're saying that, although Doctor Sleep is not a sequel to The Shining, as a stand alone movie it's very good.

I had written off seeing "Sleep" since I highly admired "Shining", and heard that the newer picture wasn't very good. Plus I don't really like horror movies, and don't like to be scared/startled, and subjected to gore.

But with your nod, I might take a peek at it. How would you characterize the scariness in comparison to The Shining? Thanks.

~Doc

Well, it kinda is and kinda isn't a sequel.
It's hard to explain. It keeps with the continuity of the original movie, but also sorta doesn't.

Give it a watch and you'll see what I mean

The scary stuff is cool though. It's not a jump scare movie, it relies more on atmosphere and odd incidents in the same vein as the original movie... and the weird vampire-like characters who feed on "shine".

Won't give away any more though, but it's defo worth a watch

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
WARNING: spoilers below
One of the things I liked about Doctor Sleep was the attention to details to the Overlook Hotel. It is nearly identical in both movies.

The Shining

Doctor Sleep

Watched it and frankly enjoyed it. I am bit meh on the original. I don't hate it or love it, just meh.

I liked this one more. Takes a bit of time for it to make sense, but when it does it flows quickly. You quickly understand its universe and what it wants to accomplish.

The acting is solid and so is the direction. Some of the scenes, especially the one with Rebecca Ferguson when she flies. That was just gorgeous to watch.

Speaking on Rebecca Ferguson, man she looks seductive in that hippie look. And it was more to do with how she acted. Little things, like how she moved or sat.

On a side note, the clear star of the movie was this fella. I mean, just look at that cute face.

I think this movie is amazing. Often want to watch the ending of a movie but I just couldn't tear myself away from the screen. Definitely recommend this movie for watching. Already waiting for the continuation of the plot of the film

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Well, it kinda is and kinda isn't a sequel.
It's hard to explain. It keeps with the continuity of the original movie, but also sorta doesn't.

Give it a watch and you'll see what I mean

The scary stuff is cool though. It's not a jump scare movie, it relies more on atmosphere and odd incidents in the same vein as the original movie... and the weird vampire-like characters who feed on "shine".

Won't give away any more though, but it's defo worth a watch
That's one of the things that I loved about this movie and one of the hurdles it had to jump. Adapting the book and being a sequel to the film. Obviously Kubrick changed elements in the film and I think Doctor Sleep did a really good balancing act of being respectful of both!!!

Suspect's Reviews