INLAND EMPIRE (Lynch, 2006)

→ in
Tools    

The Fabulous Sausage Man
Like Mulholland Dr., it is attacking Hollywood. A recurring theme in this is prostitution. I think the overall meaning of the film is that Hollywood treats its stars like disposable, cheap whores. Probably.

A system of cells interlinked
From Greencine Interview with Mr. Lynch. Some of the interview is out to lunch, but they guy gets David to talk about his style and approach a bit more than usual. Check out the excerpt, then head over to Greencine for the rest of the interview if you wish.

You don't discuss the meaning of your films. What about the interpretations of your audiences?
It's not a game - that I like to confound people and see what they come up with. The filmmaker should have a definite, solid idea of what it means, but that never comes right away. It kind of comes part way and then more and more as it's all revealed. And then when you're working on the whole, by then you know what it means until the whole feels correct. When something is more abstract, all kinds of interpretations come out, but if I said, "Oh, that's a wrong thing," and I wasn't willing to say mine, that would be a very bad thing.
So I think every interpretation is valid. The analogy I give is, if a painting is a very super-realistic painting, people standing in front of it get basically the same take on it. Now you stand in front of an abstraction, many, many different things, depending on the viewer, start happening. And because there's this circle between the painting and the viewer, film and the viewer, the mind is lively, the heart is lively, and any intuition they have is going while they are having this experience, and later all these different kinds of interpretations come out because each person has a little different one from the other. It's just going to come out that way, and it's kind of beautiful.
There's another thing I've been talking about, this thing of harmonics. Sometimes I think it's possible to be true to an idea and that idea could be seen as the fundamental notes of a chord, and if you're really true to those and translate them until they feel correct, then also the harmonics from higher things might be true, because the fundamental notes are true. So harmonics that you didn't even know about might be true. Now somebody in the audience is getting a more sublime, cosmic kind of interpretation. Ten years from now, I might see the same film and get that. If you're true to the thing, you don't know what you're doing at all levels. It's kind of strange.

Like Mulholland Dr., it is attacking Hollywood. A recurring theme in this is prostitution. I think the overall meaning of the film is that Hollywood treats its stars like disposable, cheap whores. Probably.
Interesting perspective. You could be right...

See the trailer here:

We all are, if what Lynch is saying holds true...

Where is Bobby? Haven't seen him around much in the past couple o weeks...

Meant to post back here sooner after re-watching it. Think the plot is a lot less cryptic than first thought.

*The Polish girl is possibly the centre of it and Dern is a refraction of herself:

Case Point: When the two meet and become one.

*Regardless of that point, Dern's character is shown through varied points on a timeline, her poor life in Poland possibly was the curse of the film and she got no success and her husband took her back to Poland away from Theroux.

Case Point: The time line movement Sedai suggested with the folding fabric and clock.

*A fair portion is the film

Case Point: The final credit sequence was almost like a (albeit surreal) cast wrap up party, within which characters the tramp mention are in.

*The Rabbit Scenes are transitional points, ala Club Silencio/could represent the power controlling Dern

Case Point: Their positions in the film and editting/the fade into the old men.

Really demands more watching, and these are hardly formulated ideas and might not have even remembered them properly from when watching. I still maintain it's a piece of avant-garde but second viewing could see more clearly a narrative that's not especially complex, i wouldn't say it was hidden more that's we're given the dots to dot together.

Finally got around to seeing this Inland Empahr. Since this thread seems to be a list of random observations, questions and comparisons I'll just throw mine on the pile.

-The Rabbit stuff appears to come from a self-contained project of Lynch's from a few years back. The IMDb discription reads: Rabbits: Plotless show starring people in rabbit suits. Anyone seen it?

-Inland Empire is the title and is mentioned at least once that I remember. There are a few entries on Wikipedia about this, the one that seemed most relevant to me refers to Ontario, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties in southern California. Kind of an archaic use coigned to differentiate the area from LA which it has apparently since become more attached to. This thinking about geography got me wondering what the deal with Poland was all about.

-The husband is from Poland and there are sinister insinuations at one point that Dern knows more Polish than she lets on. Also the movie takes place in southern California and Poland, though the way they're connected in the story is pretty obscure.

-This is just a random one but my first impression of the old woman after finishing the movie was that she's an older Dern (whether imaginary or real), as she seems to be suffering the same condition of forgetting, multiple personalities and remembering future events. I'm not sure if I'm misremembering this but I think she had an accent and would guess it was Polish.

I'm way behind here. I'm mid stream into my first viewing and my head is nearly completely f****d.

Lynch's films are like tapestries... always some thread or color you miss the first time or ten.

I always feel tremendously over loaded on the first viewing of any of his films. After five or six I'm usually okay as things start to sink in.

Harry Dean Stanton: "I've got a lot of nerve, I know. Seems like just yesterday I was carrying my own weight."

I think Nexus above may be on to something.

I was completely befuddled the first time I watched this, and I felt dirty afterward, for some reason. After a couple more viewings, I decided I loved it. Dern is so mesmerizing to watch...

I was completely befuddled the first time I watched this, and I felt dirty afterward, for some reason. After a couple more viewings, I decided I loved it. Dern is so mesmerizing to watch...
I think this is representative of her best work. Man does she ever have acting chops.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Laura Dern is best actress of 06. Absolutely fantastic.

I've come to love this movie. Not Mulholland Dr love, but still fantastic. And I think I've come to a comprehension of this movie that has given me a peace LOL

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I couldn't finish this one....

Maybe I'll give it another go later on down the road, but for now, it's sitting on my shelf.

Suspect's Reviews

Watched this earlier finally. Not going to post about it until i've seen it again which will be in the next few days because i definitely didn't get it all and i don't want to read about it. Laura Dern's performance might be my favourite ever though regardless of what i think of the rest of the film.

Has anyone seen this? -

It's exactly what it sounds like multiple more scenes of craziness that weren't included in the film, apparently it's only on the dvd not blu ray, i've not seen it yet but i was thinking of watching this before i see the film again. Wondering what others thought if they've seen it?

u remind me of the ultimate movie about attacking hollywood and hollywood the 50s classic satire Sunset boulevard.