Will anybody go to see a new or old Woody Allen movie? Ever?

Tools    

I saw some gossipy web site mentioning A Rainy Day in New York, looked it up and found saw that it was mired down in release hell and lawsuits due to the PR disaster over Allen's sex problems and wondered. I saw lots of his movies "back then", generally liked them and wish I could see some more, though without the understandable issues that storm about Allen himself.

I watched the trailer to the new one. Allen was always the best with New York movies, but yeah, I understand. This one seems to be cute but probably underwhelming. It reminds me of the New York I know, rainy nights, the West Village, etc, so it has appeal, but then, it also has Allen's name on it, so I probably won't see it unless it's hacked.

What now? I'm guessing that this movie is a dead issue, but is there anybody out there who can be a new or surrogate version of Allen, without the personal sleaze? Will there be a time when all is forgotten and someone resurrects his movies? It would not be the first time that the movie world eventually forgot about an actor or director's sins later.

I I'm guessing that this movie is a dead issue, but is there anybody out there who can be a new or surrogate version of Allen, without the personal sleaze? Will there be a time when all is forgotten and someone resurrects his movies? It would not be the first time that the movie world eventually forgot about an actor or director's sins later.
So far as I know Woody Allen has never been convicted of any crime. I also don’t find him particularly “sleazy” nor do I know what, if any, sins he has committed. I will continue to be a fan of his movies & I have his new memoir in my wishlist to read.

His movies were very popular for a while, due to their retro-sentimental-romantic quotient and the fact that, if you listened, his writing is really excellent, smart and ironic. They were relief from action movies. He had some special appeal to city folk like me and the tribulations of people with incomes, living among urban "intellectuals". It's definitely a genre, but it's hard to find someone who can do it better, kinda like those British mystery writers who find drawing room humor in murder.

So far as I know Woody Allen has never been convicted of any crime. I also don’t find him particularly “sleazy” nor do I know what, if any, sins he has committed. I will continue to be a fan of his movies & I have his new memoir in my wishlist to read.
Yeah, he hasn't, but his problems make nobody want to take a chance on the "me-too" fallout from a movie release. His sins are mired in mutual accusations, but no prosecutable evidence.

No person’s career should be ruined because of accusations of something he or she may or may not have done.

I like Woody Allen's movies, most of them anyway, not all of course. And I like Woody Allen when he's in his own movies. He makes for an interesting character....I don't care what PC correct Millennials think of him...Of course not all Millenials are PC/Woke obsessed, and older generations can fall under the same sheeple-group-think spell. I'll continue to watch his new movies and his older films as well.

It's tough. I love Annie Hall, but I also loved that long before I knew about Allen as a person. I'm afraid if I see any more of his movies - especially with him as an actor - I won't be a fan. I usually have no trouble separating artist from art but with Allen I feel that he writes himself into his own characters, which is just... yuck.

... but with Allen I feel that he writes himself into his own characters, which is just... yuck.
Why is it “yuck” with him? A lot of directors do this.

Is there some new sex crime charge against Woody Allen? Besides having a relationship with Mia Farrow's adult adopted daughter (she's not his daughter but Mia's), what else has he done lately?

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
People go see movies that are directed by people that are known to be jerks all the time though. James Cameron and David O Russell, have reputations for being completely abusive to people they work with and people still go see their movies. So why is Woody Allen an exception compared to other directors who are known to be abusive, or bullies?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Is there some new sex crime charge against Woody Allen? Besides marring his adult adopted daughter some years back, which is weird, what else has he done lately?
No, people must have got a memo to tell them what to believe.. It's not even his adopted daughter - he never married Mia.

"Believe all women... unless its Joe Biden!"... #metoo movement - one movement from a millionaire's bank account to anther. (notice they never talk about opening up more women's shelters, because they really don't care for them).. In the words of Woody Allen, this society is a "shamofamockery" (from one of his late 60s movies I think)

As for the question, I only really love "Annie Hall".. I saw a recent one and it was so bad I don't plan on watching any more of his movies.

Is there some new sex crime charge against Woody Allen? Besides marring his adult adopted daughter some years back, which is weird, what else has he done lately?
yes he also repeatedly molested his daughter dylan when she was 7 years old
criticker

Why is it “yuck” with him? A lot of directors do this.
yes there are a lot of "yuck" directors, I didn't say there weren't

People go see movies that are directed by people that are known to be jerks all the time though. James Cameron and David O Russell, have reputations for being completely abusive to people they work with and people still go see their movies. So why is Woody Allen an exception compared to other directors who are known to be abusive, or bullies?
Bully is one thing. But child molestation or extreme racism/homophobia/etc in people like him, Polanski, and Mel Gibson just gets a big no from me. As I said, though, if I find that the director doesn't put themself into their work I don't have a problem. I enjoyed Braveheart because it seems far removed from Gibson as a person.

Bully is one thing. But child molestation or extreme racism/homophobia/etc in people like him, Polanski, and Mel Gibson just gets a big no from me. As I said, though, if I find that the director doesn't put themself into their work I don't have a problem. I enjoyed Braveheart because it seems far removed from Gibson as a person.
Is Mel Gibson really racist/antisemitic, or did he just spout off while on a drunken rampage? I don't follow all this type of stuff so maybe there's more to it, but I remember the one incident where he said some antisemtic remarks then later apologized. I'm sure as a devout Catholic Mel has been on the short end of the stick having to endure anti-catholic attacks. Not that one wrong should be repaid with another, but I'm sure Hollywood has kicked lots of **** into Mel's face in the past.

Is Mel Gibson really racist/antisemitic, or did he just spout off while on a drunken rampage? I don't follow all this type of stuff so maybe there's more to it, but I remember the one incident where he said some antisemtic remarks then later apologized. I'm sure as a devout Catholic Mel has been on the short end of the stick having to endure anti-catholic attacks. Not that one wrong should be repaid with another, but I'm sure Hollywood has kicked lots of **** into Mel's face in the past.
Eh, I don’t want to argue about it but I do think even if he was drunk he’s not someone I would want to come out as gay towards hahaha. Catholics aren’t discriminated against nearly as much as minorities, women, LGBTQ, etc. and I say that as a Catholic

His wife wasn’t his adopted daughter. She was Mia Farrow’s adopted daughter.

yes he also repeatedly molested his daughter dylan when she was 7 years old
We don’t know that. Dylan has never been able to prove it & I for one don’t believe her.

Bully is one thing. But child molestation or extreme racism/homophobia/etc in people like him, Polanski, and Mel Gibson just gets a big no from me.
I’m not aware that Polanski ever molested a child.

Eh, I don’t want to argue about it but I do think even if he was drunk he’s not someone I would want to come out as gay towards hahaha. Catholics aren’t discriminated against nearly as much as minorities, women, LGBTQ, etc. and I say that as a Catholic
I think a Catholic director in Hollywood trying to get a devoutly religious movie made, The Passion of the Christ, must have been very difficult for him and if I remember correctly it was around that time that he said those antisemitic remarks. Though I don't like Mel either personal, he does seem like an aggressive jerk, I'm just saying he also might have been a victim.