Oscars Overhaul

Tools    

Seems like the big points are:

1. Best Picture nominees always at 10 (instead of just capped there).
2. Films without a theatrical release are eligible.
3. Diversity protocols/task force.

Somewhere on MoFo I debunked the myth that the Oscars were so white, by finding statistics and proving that black actors were more likely to be nominated and more likely to win than white actors. I guess the Academy didn't read my post, ha. Diversity in movies is good, forced diversity is bad for creativity. I wonder when BET Black Entertainment Awards will move into the 21st century and start including people of all colors?

Welcome to the human race...
I'm guessing you worded that wrong because the way that reads it sounds like the majority of nominees/winners across all of Oscars history are predominantly black.

Anyway, we'll see whether or not fixing the number at ten will actually guarantee that kind of diversity or if it's going to be like 2010 and they end up nominating that year's equivalent of District 9.

No, not across all of Oscar's history. The stats I found were for the last decade or so, they clearly show there is not a problem with black actors receiving nominations and Oscars. Now Hispanics & Asians might be another issue as to me they seem to be almost invisible in new movies. Granted I don't watch many new movies, but I feel that they are left out of the process more often than not.

Yeah, I won't argue that. As well as Roma and Parasite did awards-wise, only the former got any acting nominations.

The trick is not minding
So right there is the problem then. You’re cherry picking based on the past decade and think that it’s been some sort of improvement, when it really hasn’t been, and thinking it’s progress.
I don’t agree that forced diversity is a bad thing per se. When you want change, and it doesn’t happen, you force it. Especially if it’s for the best. And diversity is.
This doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll just choose the dumbest or worst performances possible, of course. Let’s not assume that. What it means is they’ll look more closely at the performances that deserve it.

I'm really looking forward the first trans gender woman to be nominated in best actress/supporting actress. The whole process will be a calamity of pissed off people Feminist will be mad if they are nominated in a female category (or should be). Trans groups will be mad if they are nominated in a male group. Black groups will be mad if they are white. Conservatives will be mad at the whole thing. Oh it's going be a sh*tshow and I'm looking forward to it lol.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

The trick is not minding
I'm really looking forward the first trans gender woman to be nominated in best actress/supporting actress. The whole process will be a calamity of pissed off people Feminist will be mad if they are nominated in a female category (or should be). Trans groups will be mad if they are nominated in a male group. Black groups will be mad if they are white. Conservatives will be mad at the whole thing. Oh it's going be a sh*tshow and I'm looking forward to it lol.
Why should a trans woman being nominated in a actress category be an issue? They are, for all intents and purposes, a woman.

I'll preemptively say that while some of these topics obviously can't be avoided in this context, I'll have to close it if it specifically becomes just about pronouns and transgenderism, rather than the Oscars.

The trick is not minding
Right, and I recognize the potential as well, which is why I (hopefully) am wording it where it doesn’t come off as combative.
Please note that, while I understand tone is hard to convey sometimes via text, I’m not meaning it to come off as rude or such.

Seems like the big points are:

1. Best Picture nominees always at 10 (instead of just capped there).
2. Films without a theatrical release are eligible.
3. Diversity protocols/task force.

I'm so against 10 nominees for Best Picture...since they went to 10 nominees, there hasn't been a year where all ten nominees were truly deserving of a nomination...I think it's devalued the power of the award.

The problem with the Oscars isn't white/black it's nationalist voting blocks. The worst snubbed category and segment right now is White American Film-makers. We've gone an entire generation where the books have been closed so to speak towards that minority in Hollywood.

Ben Affleck
Paul Thomas Anderson
Wes Anderson
Darren Aronofsky
Noah Baumbach
David Cronenberg
David Fincher
Rian Johnson
Spike Jonze
Richard Linklater
David Lynch
Terrence Mallick
James Mangold
Adam McKay
Christopher Nolan
Alexander Payne
David O. Russell
Steve Soderbergh
Quentin Tarantino
Gus Van Zant

Just how long do you think a generation is? Damien Chazelle won Best Director only three years ago - before that, white Americans won six times during the 2000s (including Steven Soderbergh, who was on your list of snubbed directors) and another six times during the 1990s. That's about the length of a generation and they've still won almost half the time (and I'm deliberately excluding white directors who aren't American e.g. James Cameron, Tom Hooper, even Mel Gibson).

Generations are 15-20 years and while some directors won during the early 00's really...Eastwood, Scorsese, and Howard had been around since the 60's.

Damien Chazale....technically American though I think his French ties have helped push him along.

I use 25 as my baseline for a generation (especially when they can max out at 30), but I suppose it's flexible. In any case, some of your suggested nominees have been working since the '70s anyway - Cronenberg technically directed a feature before either Eastwood or Howard did (and he's not even American, nor is Nolan). That's without getting into the question of whether or not they deserve it any more than the winners we did get - David O. Russell might be a worse option than any of the actual winners.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
This is so stupid. Why can't they just pick the people who did the best jobs on making movies, compared to what race or gender, or sexual orientation the people are...

This is so stupid. Why can't they just pick the people who did the best jobs on making movies, compared to what race or gender, or sexual orientation the people are...
Wouldn't that be lovely? Imagine if they simply looked at excellence as the gauge. They'd have many times the credibility that they have now. The problem is of course that the inmates are running the asylum.