Tenet, Christopher Nolan 2020 Film

Tools    

It's already in the IMDb Top 250.
LOL!

Yeah, if they allowed voting for it that ballot stuffing fan base would have it at a 9.4 for sure by now.

Welcome to the human race...
LOL!

Yeah, if they allowed voting for it that ballot stuffing fan base would have it at a 9.4 for sure by now.
Unless he actually decided to make a film that starred a woman.

Eh, that's lame. He writes most of these (or is heavily involved in their writing, I suppose). Maybe, not being a woman, he's not great at writing them, and it would be stupid and bad for him to pretend otherwise. Let the man make the films that interest him, that he feels qualified to write about.

This might just do nobody any good.
I don’t think there’s an argument there that he ought to, just a minor jab at the fan base (particularly the ones that use IMDb ratings for trolling) and how the tend to (absolutely would) react to a thing like that.

That's fair, I think I may have misread Iro's intent there now that I read the post again. I realize he may not have been jabbing Nolan at all. My apologies, if so.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Eh, it's Christopher Nolan. Practically every film he's done since Batman Begins manages to be an "event film" by default no matter how dramatic or personal or "cool" it is.
What do you mean by "event film"?

Yeah, it was more a reference to those people who would downvote a film for that very reason.

As for what an "event film" is, I'd say it is as it sounds - the kind of film that's so big it becomes one of the year's major cinematic events.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/c...gh-1203223474/

"Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Kenneth Branagh will appear in Christopher Nolan’s upcoming film, “Tenet,” led by John David Washington.

Clémence Poésy, Dimple Kapadia, Michael Caine are also joining the cast that includes Washington as well as Elizabeth Debicki and Robert Pattinson.

“Tenet,” which is being filmed on location across seven countries, is an action epic evolving from the world of international espionage.

Nolan is directing from his own original screenplay and will use a mix of Imax and 70mm film to bring the story to the big screen.

Nolan and his wife, Emma Thomas are producing the movie, while Thomas Hayslip is serving as executive producer.

Nolan’s behind-the-scenes creative team includes director of photography Hoyte van Hoytema, production designer Nathan Crowley, editor Jennifer Lame, costume designer Jeffrey Kurland, and visual effects supervisor Andrew Jackson. The score is being composed by Ludwig Göransson.

Warner Bros. Pictures is distributing “Tenet” worldwide. It is scheduled to hit theaters on July 17, 2020."

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/c...gh-1203223474/

"Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Kenneth Branagh will appear in Christopher Nolan’s upcoming film, “Tenet,” led by John David Washington.

Clémence Poésy, Dimple Kapadia, Michael Caine are also joining the cast that includes Washington as well as Elizabeth Debicki and Robert Pattinson.

“Tenet,” which is being filmed on location across seven countries, is an action epic evolving from the world of international espionage.

Nolan is directing from his own original screenplay and will use a mix of Imax and 70mm film to bring the story to the big screen.

Nolan and his wife, Emma Thomas are producing the movie, while Thomas Hayslip is serving as executive producer.

Nolan’s behind-the-scenes creative team includes director of photography Hoyte van Hoytema, production designer Nathan Crowley, editor Jennifer Lame, costume designer Jeffrey Kurland, and visual effects supervisor Andrew Jackson. The score is being composed by Ludwig Göransson.

Warner Bros. Pictures is distributing “Tenet” worldwide. It is scheduled to hit theaters on July 17, 2020."
#bonerworthy. Always get excited for Nolan. Saw where Tenet is a palindrome. Tenet spelled backwards and forward. And the word ten. Makes you think.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...sequel-1228880

"“An action epic evolving from the world of international espionage.” It’s the official description for Christopher Nolan’s next film, Tenet, but it could very easily apply to Nolan’s 2010 mind-bender Inception. As details leaked out about Nolan’s new project, Inception was mentioned numerous times for comparison, whether it be in regard to how Tenet will supposedly deal with the time continuum or it tackling the world of espionage. Nolan brings similar elements to all of his films. Could his biggest surprise of all be that Tenet and Inception are connected?

The new teaser, which dropped in select theaters Thursday, offers some clues, and the idea of an Inception sequel is not new. In 2010, Nolan himself suggested that he might expand the universe through a video game. While that hasn’t panned out (so far), when the film came out, Warner Bros. released two Inception prequel comics written by Inception co-producer Jordan Goldberg, titled The Cobol Job and The Big Under, which chronicle the missions leading directly into the film. Nolan continued this practice through an Interstellar prequel comic, which tells the tale of Dr. Mann (Matt Damon). All things considered, the prospect of a return to Inception’s universe, in some form or fashion, is not too far-fetched.

The first teaser trailer for Tenet puts the focus on John David Washington’s character, pointing to him as the main lead, which, as Nolan’s first lead of color, is another step away from the brooding white male heroes of his previous films. The trailer even states “Time has come for a new protagonist” and “Time has come for a new kind of mission” — both serving as meta-commentary on Nolan’s career and perhaps, if the film is an Inception follow-up, as meta-commentary on the stories and realities of that world.

There’s certainly an overwhelming chance that Tenet has nothing to do directly with the Inception universe. But if it does, Tenet focusing on an entirely separate character sounds like a move Nolan would make. The director doesn’t seem like one who would make a direct sequel, but rather seems like one who would use loose threads. In that scenario, could Washington’s character have his own journey — a new kind of mission — in a world of advanced technology, paralleled next to or intertwined with the supporting journey of the Inception kids?"

More in linked article above.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...sequel-1228880

The first teaser trailer for Tenet puts the focus on John David Washington’s character, pointing to him as the main lead, which, as Nolan’s first lead of color, is another step away from the brooding white male heroes of his previous films.

More in linked article above.
lol this always amuses me. I wonder if Chinese or Japanesse directors ever have to worry about the race of their leads? Or if Spike Lee cast a white guy in the lead. "This is Spike's first white male lead, getting away from his angry black male lead."

I don't believe Nolan give two sh*ts what the color of his leads are, just if they are talented. Plus it's probably not a conscience thing he does. He writes his work and just probably sees it as white because that's his perspective, not anything malice. Just like Spike Lee usually sees his roles as black.

I wish I was born like 1,000 years in the future where humans are just one blob of a race so this would go away.

That probably has something to do with how white is such a widely-accepted "default" that it's just taken for granted when POC directors use one. Hell, Spike Lee already made a movie with a white guy in the lead called 25th Hour and that was almost 20 years ago.

Regarding Nolan, I don't know if it being an unconscious bias is really all that good an excuse anyway (and comes back to the whole white=default thing), plus it's always notable when a high-profile director who sticks to certain motifs actually decides to break from them for once (see also how many Nolan protagonists turn out to be widowers).

lol this always amuses me. I wonder if Chinese or Japanesse directors ever have to worry about the race of their leads? Or if Spike Lee cast a white guy in the lead. "This is Spike's first white male lead, getting away from his angry black male lead."

I don't believe Nolan give two sh*ts what the color of his leads are, just if they are talented. Plus it's probably not a conscience thing he does. He writes his work and just probably sees it as white because that's his perspective, not anything malice. Just like Spike Lee usually sees his roles as black.

I wish I was born like 1,000 years in the future where humans are just one blob of a race so this would go away.
Great post, MB. When someone states the obvious, like you just have, it tickles me to see the tortured explanations the PC/SJ crowd typically feels obligated to mount...

Doesn't tickle you enough to try engaging with them, though. The way that post reads, I'm not even sure MovieBuffering here even knows Spike Lee has directing a movie with a white lead (never mind whether the "one blob of a race" comment is meant to refer to every race eventually cross-breeding into one or not)

(also I know this doesn't have anything to do with anything but is The Birth of a Nation seriously your favourite movie)

Yupp just put a Spike Lee movie in my countdown with a white lead. I am aware. Just using him as an example.

Also I think it's hilariously ironic Spike Lee white washed an Asian remake

But that's ok because any director can hire anyone they feel is right for the role. Just this movie...coming from Spike...who is so loud about race makes him look like a terrible hypocrite.

But back to Tenet. I think the teaser trailer will probably be online Monday next week.

It is pretty ballsy move by Nolan to cast a relative newcomer John David Washington as lead in a ~200 million $ production. Happen to see teaser in IMAX and it is interesting. But JDW is front and center in this teaser. He is investigating a bullet hole on a glass panel and time seems to be overlapping between each shot. Interesting stuff. Can't wait.

It is pretty ballsy move by Nolan to cast a relative newcomer John David Washington as lead in a ~200 million $ production. Happen to see teaser in IMAX and it is interesting. But JDW is front and center in this teaser. He is investigating a bullet hole on a glass panel and time seems to be overlapping between each shot. Interesting stuff. Can't wait.
I get what you are saying....but it's a Nolan picture...he could have cast me and people will see it. Plus it's Denzel's kid. His isn't exactly an unknown his name carries some weight.

I have a feeling if this has anything to do with time travel/future we see Denzel as an older JDW in the film. Be a pretty big win if Nolan could keep that secret.

I get what you are saying....but it's a Nolan picture...he could have cast me and people will see it. Plus it's Denzel's kid. His isn't exactly an unknown his name carries some weight.

I have a feeling if this has anything to do with time travel/future we see Denzel as an older JDW in the film. Be a pretty big win if Nolan could keep that secret.
i think it will be more of a love story with spy elements that spans across countries and time involving debicki and john david washington.