A Tune for June (song tourney)

Tools    

Round 9

1. The Secret Sisters - He's Fine
(More than fine.)

2. Jake Holmes - Dazed and Confused
(As a big Zeppelin fan, I'm ashamed to say that this is my first time hearing of this song or Jake Holmes . . . although I guess that's the way Jimmy Page would've wanted it. Love how psychedelic this gets. Still prefer Zep's reinterpretation, but I think this version does a better job of capturing that "dazed and confused" feeling.)

3. Ricky Van Shelton - If You're Ever in My Arms
(Comes close to crossing the threshold of being annoyingly corny, but thankfully it didn't quite reach that point for me, instead remaining an effectively romantic, slow-tempo country ballad.)

4. The Smiths - What Difference Does It Make
(Doesn't light my world on fire, but pretty good.)

5. Dire Straits - Walk of Life
(Heard it plenty of times on the radio over the years, but it's just not a song that's ever grabbed me.)

6. Jason Aldean - Rearview Town
(I like the sentiment of the song, but that's the only positive thing I have to say.)

7. Sullivan - What's Good for the King
(Reminds me too much of 2000's-era rock bands I hated, like Good Charlotte and Blink 182.)

Weird is relative.
Round 9:

1. The Smiths - What Difference Does it Make?

2. Jason Aldean - Rearview Town

3. Ricky Van Shelton - If You're Ever In My Arms

4. The Secret Sisters - He's Fine

5. Jake Holmes - Dazed and Confused

6. Dire Straits - Walk Of Life

7. Sullivan - What's Good For The King

Round 10 nom:

The Sword - Freya

Round 9
  1. Jason Aldean - Rearview Town
  2. Dire Straits - Walk Of Life
  3. Ricky Van Shelton - If You're Ever In My Arms
  4. Jake Holmes - Dazed and Confused
  5. Sullivan - What's Good For The King
  6. The Secret Sisters - He's Fine
  7. The Smiths - What Difference Does it Make?

All the votes are in and here's how they fared....

1st - The Secret Sisters - He's Fine (32 pts)
1st - Dire Straits - Walk Of Life (32 pts)

3rd - Ricky Van Shelton - If You're Ever In My Arms (31 pts)
3rd - The Smiths - What Difference Does it Make? (31 pts)
5th - Jake Holmes - Dazed and Confused (27 pts)
6th - Jason Aldean - Rearview Town (23 pts)
7th - Sullivan - What's Good For The King (20 pts)

.... so these ties are like buses, none for a while and then two turn up together
Congrats to both Captain Spaulding and lenslady on getting their respective tracks through to the Final at the end of the month

Round 10 will be up in a coupls of hours (noms are still open until then)..

Connie Francis - Fallin'

Michael Crawford - Colors of the Wind

Avenged Sevenfold - A Little Piece Of Heaven

Queensryche - Speak

The Platters - Twilight Time

Lord of the Lost - Loreley

Postmodern Jukebox and Haley Reinhart - Creep

Ghostpoet - X Marks the Spot (feat Nadine Shah)

The Sword - Freya

J-C takes a break but Derek, Seds and cat all rejoin the fray so nine tunes to rank this time around.

Please rank from 1 (your favourite) to 9 (your least favourite).
This round will stay open for voting until 10am IST/BST on 23rd June.

Nominations for Round 11 now open...

Pretty tough set to order this time imo.

1. Ghostpoet - X Marks the Spot (feat Nadine Shah)
2. Connie Francis - Fallin'
3. The Sword - Freya
4. Queensryche - Speak
5. Lord of the Lost - Loreley
6. Avenged Sevenfold - A Little Piece Of Heaven
7. The Platters - Twilight Time
8. Michael Crawford - Colors of the Wind
9. Postmodern Jukebox and Haley Reinhart - Creep

Round 11 nom:
Dogs - End Of An Era

Thanks Chypmunk - this was a lot of fun and I was glad to tie with a great song. And an extra BIG thank you to those mofos who gave me 'thumbs up' support- it really means a lot

The best part of this tourney was to have the opportunity to listen to all the music from all mofos . Made me smile all week.

A system of cells interlinked
1. Queensryche - Speak - I don't agree with the ideology, but in the framework of the concept album, this song kicks a ton of ass. Love the chuggy verse riff, and this one has a memorable guitar solo that weaves the main theme of the song in. Cool vocal approach that is almost too bombastic, but not quite.

2. Lord of the Lost - Loreley - Dark and Heavy - Love it! I sent this to my wife and she really likes it, as well.

3. Avenged Sevenfold - A Little Piece Of Heaven - Bizarre A7F song, but I liked it in a sort of odd Devin Townsend way.

4. Postmodern Jukebox and Haley Reinhart - Creep - Loved this!

5. The Platters - Twilight Time - Saw these guys live in Disneyland in the 80s. Great tune.

6. Connie Francis - Fallin' - Classic tune!

7. Ghostpoet - X Marks the Spot (feat Nadine Shah) - This is a tough round. I like this, but I still have to put it fairly far down the list.

8. The Sword - Freya - This band. I feel like I should like them more, but I find their music to be boring and derivative.

9. Michael Crawford - Colors of the Wind - This set my teeth on edge. Way too far into the vanilla elevator music realm for my taste.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I was hoping I'd just get in under the wire for round 10. I'm here for the next one though.

Round 11 nom
Gin Wigmore - Black Sheep
so was I

here we go:

Mad Season - I Don't Know Anything

ROUND 10

Surely you remember your first love. And the night you met at your best friend's party, in the family den.
Wood paneling, a dartboard on the wall, card table with folding chairs, and you were lucky if you didn't bump into the billiards table. Liquor cabinet locked ( of course) - you were that young.

And you all were listening to the music your friend's parents listened to. Golden oldies, but tonight it was like those songs were made for you. Your eyes met, and you knew.

Surely you remember your first dance. That slow close waltz. Your first kiss.

And here you are again. And the season is lush - spring is just turning the corner into summer. The longest days, the sweetest nights The honeysuckle breeze, the bough bending trees, and the deep blue dusk upon the sea- and all the world is beckoning you to dance in each other's arms. "To fall in love again, as you did then."

Surely you remember the dance.

And the dance is just beginning...................
1-The Platters - Twilight Time

2- Ghostpoet- X Marks the Spot
Like this guy. I've heard some of his songs before, but not this one. Mesmerizing. He really is a poet- loved that line about 'the drawer in our house calling your name' Is he asking her to stay? Or pack it up and move out? Good sound, and a little bit of mystery.

3- Post modern Jukebox and Haley Reinhart- Creep
This really was a tie for #2 for me. Amazing. A bluesy torch singer for the 21st century. I've always felt that the blues is the bravest style of music- baring the secrets of the soul, the great losses , the shame, the self pity and self loathing for all to see - and then somehow it comes out with wit and triumph. Love this singer- her mighty voice and her diva growl - and what she did to reinvent this song.

4- Connie Francis - another great singer. I've always felt she was under recognized for her powerful voice and timeless style. Turns a nice phrase too- " swimming up the Niagra" A classic

5- Michael Crawford - Colors of the Wind. Liked the movie and liked the song. A lovely idealistic sentiment and the melody could be sung in any style.- country, pop, or roots - and nothing wrong with the arrangement here.

6- Queensrych- Speak
Like a prior poster I was intrigued by the world view and political statements herein, whether or not they're in concert with my own. If Woody Guthrie was around now , would he be in this band? Maybe not, but Phil Ochs might have.

7- Lord of The Lost -Lorely
The band is loud and tight, and the story is- ironically - haunting.

8- The Sword - Freya
Another powerful band -and story. I know I' m missing the point when I say this about these dark /goth/metal bands - but I'd love to hear the story with the buzz on the amp tuned down a bit.

9- Avenged Sevenfold- Little Piece of Heaven - again, not a style I listen to a lot, but again, great storytelling. Could be the plot for a goth version of Criminal Minds. And truth be told, the song following in the tradition of centuries old English ballads - of murdrer and mayhem and the supernatural.

Let the night air cool you off
1. Postmodern Jukebox and Haley Reinhart - Creep
- The people at PMJ deserve credit for doing something different and interesting and for giving Haley Reinhart a way to use her incredible voice. She is beyond talented, but it seems like the only thing she does that I am into is her stuff for PMJ. "Creep" by Radiohead is legitimately good, but I don't care for the band. This cover makes it something brand new and hearing it from a female perspective makes it all the more sad.

2. The Sword - Freya
- I'm always going to be into that doom Sabbath style. It's lyrically pretty nerdy, but these dudes are Zeppelin fans, so what can you really expect?

3. The Platters - Twilight Time
- Incredibly warm song.

4. Connie Francis - Fallin
- I love this type of music. I am not overly familiar with Connie Francis, but she sounds like a total badass here.

5. Ghostpoet - X Marks the Spot (feat. Nadine Shah)
- Musically, I really like this track. Vocally, it's kinda different, but not terrible.

6. Michael Crawford - Colors of the Wind
- I sometimes randomly burst out into the blue corn moon part. Not a great a song.

7. Lord of the Lost - Loreley
- I don't hate this, but I probably wouldn't seek it out again. I like the electronic work.

8. Avenged Sevenfold - A Little Piece of Heaven
- I appreciate how weird this video was, which actually helped me to pay attention to the song a lot more. I've never really cared that much for A7X though, and this track lasts a long 8 minutes.

9. Queensryche - Speak
- Musically this was enjoyable enough, but man, those lyrics are good for an eyeroll and a half. They would be tolerable if this song was presented in a way where I could feel like at least these guys might try to overthrow a government or felt out of control or something.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
All the votes are in and here's how they fared....

1st - The Secret Sisters - He's Fine (32 pts)
1st - Dire Straits - Walk Of Life (32 pts)

@Captain Spaulding and @lenslady, Congratulations!

Thank you @gbgoodies.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
1) Michael Crawford - Colors of the Wind
2) The Platters - Twilight Time
3) Postmodern Jukebox and Haley Reinhart - Creep
4) Connie Francis - Fallin'
5) Ghostpoet - X Marks the Spot (feat Nadine Shah)
6) Lord of the Lost - Loreley
7) The Sword - Freya
8) Avenged Sevenfold - A Little Piece Of Heaven
9) Queensryche - Speak