Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

Nomination #5

Clash (2016, Mohamed Diab)

Deadline to Watch It: September 29

Nominated By: cricket

I have a very long watchlist for this countdown, so I'm trying to watch the movies that have the best chance of making my list first. This doesn't sound like my type of movie, so I probably won't watch it this week, but I might watch it before submitting my list.

Well, I watched it.

Clash (Eshtebak) (Mohamed Diab, 2016)

I'm not really sure how to feel about this film. It focuses on a group of people arrested during the protests and violence that erupted after the ousting of President Morsi in Egypt. It takes place entirely inside of a police truck where people from both sides of the conflict, as well as people from neither side, are trapped together. It is packed with tension, chaos, and claustrophobia. It shows how easily people let go of their humanity and see only an enemy in another person and how much they allow themselves to be blinded by their political and religious ideals. But it also shows some moments where the subjects put aside those conflicts and treat each other as equals.

But those more peaceful moments are all too fleeting and the tension and violence are relentless and all too real. It's an important story and its lessons can be applied to conflicts here in our own lives, but as a film it's just... a lot to take in. That said, I have no regrets about watching it but it is not something I ever wish to see again.

And now I think I'll find something a little more cheery to watch before I go to bed.

Sounds like I need to make time for this one tonight. It sounds pretty great from MV’s review. I will take a link and be a cheap bastard.

Just finished watching Clash, and I really dug it. In spite of having so many characters in such a confined setting, it remained easy to follow and juggled focus between all of them relatively well. I didn't think the film focused too much attention on a specific person, nor did I think it focused too little attention on another (I'm curious how I'd respond to the film if it had several less characters though). I also think the film maintained a good atmosphere of claustrophobia; shooting everything, including the action, from the perspective of inside the truck worked really well at making you feel just as trapped as the characters were. Finally, the film is also coupled with a compelling anti-war message since the various rioters could potentially get along with each other just fine in the right setting, as we see from the people in the van throughout the film. Overall, just a very well-done film. I don't know if it'll make my ballot, but I might consider it in the long run. Aside from my nomination, it's my favorite film I've seen in this thread so far.

Not going to get to Clash in time but the reviews have me really wanting to see it so I will definitely check it out before the countdown.