Holiday Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Hard to describe but I'm sure most know what a holiday themed movie is. The movie poster image is a good example.
So you can’t define it, yet we’re only supposed to choose “real” ones. This sounds like a mini version of the horror countdown situation. And no, I didn’t think you meant religious movies.

I think I’m just going to pass.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Put me down as in.
Gonna try to get a nom out tomorrow for this

scratch that -- Nomination sent!!

Cool, the more the merrier, ha get it

BTW I'm going to try and get those Christmas lights to blink on the 1st post. I already spent an hour trying, but like Santa delivering presents to Tierra Del Fuego on a frosty night...I ain't quitting yet

I will say though, there are 2 films I'm really cringing at watching and pray they don't show up.
I don't think I have any Christmas/holiday I hate movies. But I do have a couple Christmas songs I hate

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I will say though, there are 2 films I'm really cringing at watching and pray they don't show up.

Are those two movies shown in the picture in the first post?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
OK, so is Die Hard considered a 'proper holiday move' or not...? What about Gremlins...?

I have three possible nominations, films I watch almost every year, just trying to decide which to go for.

I'm hoping for some to be nominated that I haven't seen before.

OK, so is Die Hard considered a 'proper holiday movie' or not...? What about Gremlins...?
See, I would call both of those "proper holiday themed movies" (growing up, it was my family's Christmas tradition to watch Die Hard and Die Hard II every year), which is why I take exception to the "most know what a holiday themed movie is" line. Funny though how the eligibility of Gremlins is in question again.

OK, so is Die Hard considered a 'proper holiday move' or not...? What about Gremlins...?

I have three possible nominations, films I watch almost every year, just trying to decide which to go for.

I'm hoping for some to be nominated that I haven't seen before.
I'd say no to both as for this Holiday HoF. We use to watch the 10 Commandants at Christmas but I don't think of that as a movie about Christmas. I've not seen Die Hard but it doesn't sound like a Holiday themed movie in the same vein as the movies in those posters. It sounds more like an action flick set at Christmas.
An NYPD officer tries to save his wife and several others taken hostage by German terrorists during a Christmas party at the Nakatomi Plaza in Los Angeles.
I've seen Gremlins and same thing it's not about the holiday seasons as it's main focus it's a comedy horror set at Christmas time.
A boy inadvertently breaks three important rules concerning his new pet and unleashes a horde of malevolently mischievous monsters on a small town.
Maybe I should post the noms we've already go so people can see what they are?

I have another idea that can help clarify, (yes I know genres are hard especially when there's no Holiday genre listed at IMDB)

A Christmas,Thanksgiving,Hanukkah themed movie should be tagged Family as one of it's genres at IMDB. So far I think all the nominated films are. BUT we all know IMDB isn't perfect with their tags but at least that might help out some.

It sounds more like an action flick set at Christmas.
I've seen Gremlins and same thing it's not about the holiday seasons as it's main focus it's a comedy horror set at Christmas time.
So is Home Alone a Christmas movie? If so, why?

From what I recall of it, it's just about a kid who gets left home alone by accident and fights off some burglars.

So is Home Alone a Christmas movie? If so, why?

From what I recall of it, it's just about a kid who gets left home alone by accident and fights off some burglars.
I can see that point. I thought about that specific movie myself before the HoF even started and asked myself the same question. So with genres it's very hard as there is never a clear cut line, if this was all movies then it would be the 24th HoF and Raul would be pissed at me for starting it without him So I'm going to add the Family Tag idea to the 1st post. I'm also going to list the movies know, so if you're interested you can see them shortly. But I think there might be one you don't like?

f you're interested you can see them shortly. But I think there might be one you don't like?
If the family tag is a requirement then I am decidedly uninterested.

Here's a sample of a few holiday movies that I enjoy but are now disqualified because they're not tagged as "family":

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (comedy)
Scrooged (Comedy, drama, fantasy, romance)
Tokyo Godfathers (animation, adventure, comedy, drama)
The Ref (comedy, crime, drama)
Love Actually (comedy, drama, romance)

If the family tag is a requirement then I am decidedly uninterested.

Here's a sample of a few holiday movies that I enjoy but are now disqualified because they're not tagged as "family":

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (comedy)
Scrooged (Comedy, drama, fantasy, romance)
Tokyo Godfathers (animation, adventure, comedy, drama)
The Ref (comedy, crime, drama)
Love Actually (comedy, drama, romance)
I've only seen the first two, and those are totally Christmas themed. I actually have both of those.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
But what about Black Christmas? That's even got Christmas in the title, but probably isn't a family movie Not quite sure why Christmas movies would have to be family movies. What about The Holiday? Or Love Actually? I'm pretty sure those are Christmas movies but not family movies. I'm not even sure Scrooge would be tagged as family, but I can't think of anything more Christmassy than that.

(Just to note, I haven't seen Black Christmas and wasn't thinking about nominating it. I'm also not trying to derail the thread. If you want it to be just for family Christmas movies, that's cool with me. That way I can watch them with my kids. )

I have another question about Gremlins, though, is it a family movie? I remember not being allowed to watch it when I was 11, but was debating watching it with my kids last year when it was showing in cinemas. I feel like my 12 year old might like it, if I could persuade him to watch something so ancient...