American Beauty

→ in
Tools    

I don't understand when parents don't allow their children to watch violent/strong language/minimal sexual content films.Like a film will make their child more violent or disturbing.These things depend on nurturing.
Parents should use their own discretion when thinking about what films to let their children see. The reason for rating films by age is that there are some films that children might either not get or would find disturbing/upsetting.

American Beauty is an excellent movie and Pulp Fiction one of the best movies ever made. You will probably enjoy and appreciate these movies more when you are a little bit older.

Finished here. It's been fun.
This film is a masterpiece. Saw this one earlier this year(i'm 17 yo) and I loved it. I think I'll love it even more as I grow older.

American Beauty was excellent.
An excellent movie, one which caught my eye upon VHS release years ago.

I can definitely understand why, at age 14, you are not allowed to watch AMERICAN BEAUTY. This is not a film for children, the characters are deeply flawed and there is massive inappropriate beahvior, but in a few years, you should definitely put the film on your watch list. The direction by Sam Mendes is first rate and Kevin Spacey's Oscar winning performance is a knockout, as are the performances of Annette Bening and Chris Cooper.

I think AMERICAN BEAUTY is brilliant...enormous re-watch appeal with spectacular performances from Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening. Lester Bernham is one of the most original creations of American cinema.

I find this to be a very odd movie. The fact that Spacey's character likes such a younger girl sickens me a lot.

I find this to be a very odd movie. The fact that Spacey's character likes such a younger girl sickens me a lot.
I think the fact that you do not understand the film sickens me a lot.

Just saying

thank god, at least no one stops me from watching these movies BTW I really like American beauty ...

I have come to see the movie with a certain prejudice. Everyone saying that it was so wonderful, so touching, so excited -- I usually tend to go with movies that nobody likes. Nevertheless, this one was a certain exception.

American Beauty is in my top 10 movies. I am very big on existential movies and American Beauty is one of the first cult movies I've seen.

I hate it when people talk about how this is promotes the wrong things. It's not promoting anything, it's just a very good movie.

This reminds me I need to re-watch it soon.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Rarely. That's why I disagree and think it's a stupid argument

It seems if a movie isn't selling the wrong things, it's not going to sell. I rarely see anything good coming out of Hollywood nowadays.

There are so many aspects of this movie I love. It was one of those films that drew me in and never let me go until the end. I was mystified by the supernatural aura of the film, haunted by the darker elements, enamored by the stylization, entertained by the humor, touched by genuine pieces of humanity, allured by nostalgia of young love, appalled at the violence and at peace with it at all by the end of the film. Rarely has a film evoked so much genuine emotion while still feeling cohesive.

This film gets a reputation as smut by some. Is this the film where a mid-age creep dates a girl in high school? Yes. Is it also a film where two ignored people in separate walks of life have appreciation for each other? Yes. Does it tickle men's fantasies of being younger and more virile? Sure. It does go for shock value at times, but there's also depth within it that can be too easily missed. While the most apparent hook of the film is perhaps the inappropriate romance, it's not the reason of the film's acclaim. It's not about one character or one relationship, but really the circumstances of all of the characters (and how they each are relatable in their own way). Most of the cast is neglected and suffering in some way, compounded by a lack of communication.

The movie does have it's flaws:
* The extent at which gay marriage and marijuana were promoted was bold for its time, but feels like a silly attempt at shock value in hindsight that they're no longer controversial.
* Some of the characters are stereotypical: jolly gay couple, alarmist real estate mom and a a drill sargeant military father. But I'd be lying if I said they don't exist in reality.
* Sometimes it feels like a cardboard cutout advertisement for American liberal politics.

It's an anthem to the neglected teenage girl, the creepy social outcast teenage boy with a good heart and the pathetic middle-aged man who has been cut down to size. In some ways, it is very fantasy-like and was designed to give a feeling of power to people who feel helpless. However, the extent at which the makers of the film truly resonated with the viewer's emotions, thrilled them with dramatic elements and gave them bits of warmth in between the cold and sad moments truly makes it stand out as an essential film.

9.5/10

I absolutely loved this film. I found it mesmerising and touching as well. In fact, you've put me in the mood to watch it again. I don't think I've ever seen anything with Kevin Spacey where he wasn't good at playing his role.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I enjoyed reading your review and agree with your rating but I question your comment - a mid-age creep dates a girl in high school. I dont recall them 'dating'. He fantisised about her, she hit on him, and he rejected her is the way I recall it. Am I missing something?
Still, I really enjoyed this movie. All the characters felt pretty real to me.

He fantasized about her, after Ricky Fitts ridiculed her for being pitiful and ugly, she showed up at Jane's house and ran into Lester, who fixed her a sandwich and flirted with her and having been dealt that ego shattering blow from Ricky, she decided to throw herself at Lester who was about to fulfill his fantasy when she confessed that, despite all her bragging throughout the film about being a sexual dynamo, she was really a virgin and Lester couldn't do it.

I have nothing to say other than the brilliance of this film, the premise, the story, the weird happenings of those two families , it s just a brilliant film, and kevin spacey makes it even better, superb stuff, it has to go as one of the top 3 dramas ever