Mofo Bros Top 100: A Raul and Sean Production

→ in
Tools    

Love La La Land. Nearly keeping up with you in viewings too, which is highly unusual. I have seen it 4 times now.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

First Watch

I blind bought the DVD and instantly loved it.

How many Watches

Somewhere around 10 or so.

Best Performance

I'll go with Sean Penn, although Robbins is super close for me.

Best Scene

Robbins scene descending into madness talking about Vampires

Why I love it Summarized

Great story with great performances, a great score. Seems to be the recipe for films I love.

All this Eastwood… hell to the yea!

I think I’ve only seen Mystic River once or twice. I certainly plan a rewatch cause it’s been forever. But I remember really liking it though it was also a rather dark experience because of the subject matter.

I do really like La La Land, though it’s not absolutely amazing for me. It’s a pretty great musical though.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

First time watching

Sometime as a kiddo on VHS. Remember those?

How many watches?
Approximately 84 with a standard deviation of around 12. Seriously, it's a lot.

Best Performance
Pretty much everybody involved, but you got to say Judy Garland.

Best Scene
I always enjoyed Dorothy meeting Scarecrow for the first time. Either that or the I'm melting scene.

Why I love it summarized

Just a joyous film to watch. The Technicolor is the best. The music is great. It's just one of the best ever made and movies wouldn't be movies if it weren't for the influence of this.

I love The Wizard of Oz. It's one of those movies that I watch several times a year, and it just gets better every time.

First Watch

In the theater. Actually saw it twice in theater.

How many watches

Best Performance

Emma Stone

Best Scene

Probably that ending, I've opened up to the beginning too.

Why I Love it

The perfect musical really. Great songs, performances and cinematography.

I love musicals, but somehow I still haven't seen La La Land. I have the DVD sitting on my shelf, but countdown movies seem to keep getting the the way. I'll probably get around to it when we do the 2010s Countdown.

First Watch

I blind bought the DVD and instantly loved it.

How many Watches

Somewhere around 10 or so.

Best Performance

I'll go with Sean Penn, although Robbins is super close for me.

Best Scene

Robbins scene descending into madness talking about Vampires

Why I love it Summarized

Great story with great performances, a great score. Seems to be the recipe for films I love.

Mystic River is on my rewatch list for the 2000s countdown. I remember liking it a lot when I saw it, but it's been a while, so I want to rewatch it before submitting my list

Not the biggest fan of La La Land. I enjoyed it when I watched it in the theaters, but when I rewatched it a few years later, it didn't hold up that well.
"What da you have ta say for yourself, ya sick sonofabitch??":

Another I'm not that hot on. Saw it when it was released and thought it was good, but that's about it. Lots of performances that were really good, a bit of a masterclass, but I don't remember it feeling natural.

I love most of the films that have been mentioned lately; La La Land, Persona, The Wizard of Oz. Those are all great.

I really liked Mystic River as well. Haven't seen it in a good while, but I have seen it 2 or 3 times and it's pretty good.

I think this is my third time saying this about a movie in my 100. For me The Godafther is objectively a masterpiece. I just don't think it does everything wrong. It is patient while remaining entertaining. It is quiet while still having superbly written sharp commentary. It is funny while being deadly serious. It looks absolutely amazing. No faults.

First Time Watched

Honestly probably caught it randomly on TV sometime

How many watches

Probably close to 25-30

Best Performance

Tom Hanks

Best Scene

Probably Forrest visiting Jenny's grave, chokes me up a bit

Why I love it summarized

It blends everything that I love in a movie. It's a great story and very well directed. Perfect blend of humor and life lessons.

I rewatched Forrest Gump not that long ago and while it didn't hold up as great as one could've hoped, I still can't deny its quality. What it sets out to do it succeeds very well at.

The Godfather, on the other hand.... You said it perfectly, Sean: it's objectively a masterpiece. The amount of masterful scenes in this is just amazing. It's so expertly done, so well handled, so controlled. It still blows me away to this day.

The Godfather is on my own 100 very high up (but not as high as this) and I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as Sean tried to say but mangled.

Saw Gump at the cinema and loved it. Have seen it a few times since and still found it really enjoyable. However, it is something which I feel 'could' suffer with further watches today but I'd hope wouldn't.

First Time Watching
I rented it on DVD when first getting into watching Black and White Classic films

How many watches
It's got to be over 5 by now, I'd say 5-8.

Best Performance
Humphrey Bogart

Best Scene
The end for sure

Why I Love it Summarized
A great story with great performances. Yep I'm a broken record here.

I love you, Raul!

Casablanca... an absolute classic film in every sense of the word. So enoyable, so quotable, one of the best romance stories ever. Beautiful. One of my all-time favorites and one of the first B/W-films I really loved. Still is.