Three Lefts Make a Right, and Three Rights Make a Left

Tools    

The current political climate is worse than ever. Hard to even comment in detail, but I am not happy with my goverment as a whole right now.

And since this is a movie forum, and this seems to be the political thread.

Here's Bong Joon Ho, the author of the acclaimed movie Parasites.

There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of dollars. Petro-dollars, electro-dollars, multi-dollars, reichmarks, rins, rubles, pounds, and shekels. It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic and subatomic and galactic structure of things today! (...) There is no America. There is no democracy. There is only IBM, and ITT, and AT&T, and DuPont, Dow, Union Carbide, and Exxon. Those are the nations of the world today.

Ned Beatty: Arthur Jensen, Network (1976)

I saw the word "capitalism" in there so I'm assuming there's some kind of critique. To which I'd say, the evidence that capitalism has alleviated poverty more than anything else humans has ever devised is overwhelming, and any critiques of it are invariably based on taking all that for granted and/or having no sense of how things were and are without it.

We born free and we spend our lives earning it, that's capitalism. And by the way, I have nothing against capitalism, I think it might be one of the ways of reaching freedom, I mean, I contemplate that hypothesis, like the 13th century Portuguese's did (Island of Love, according to Luis de Camões), they believed in the age of the Holy Spirit. When that age arrives (now entering it) all children's would born to be free, consequently be able to be infinitely spontaneous, imaginative, to dream and one day be able to direct the world, in second place, life should be free for everyone, that would eradicate crime, that is also in Tao Te Ching. Overall, the point of capitalism be, lead the society to full development, and economy no longer be needed. People would simply born to create. Is one way of looking at it, and I acknowledge it. It's a beautiful way, in my opinion.

@Yoda I don't think it will spoil. When you see it, you'll understand almost immediately the author's point.
The movie is not just about capitalism, he made that remark considering Korea, but he realized that's global.

You ready? You look ready.
True freedom comes from escaping capitalism. Then capitalism recaptures what was once free. And the process starts all over again.

I honestly believe that capitalism is the end of history. Like there's no place to advance from it. It is the human spirit in totality.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The US system would work if we ensured the basics. It would barely put a dent in the billionaire's pockets, and I think people would be happier, which bring less crime, and maybe some common direction, instead of basically killing each other for money, power, attention, etc.

It’s hard for me not to go all nihilistic on all this, it’s not because I’m trying to avoid responsibility, or being self-centered, is because, uh, look, my definition of someone wise is, he who attempts to see all the angles without closing the door to a new one, and I try to see all the angles, all the possibilities, but unfortunately my door is closed, the more I dig into a subject, the nucleus, I end up with that, ultimately, not being important. Einstein said: It is a wonderful feeling to recognize the unity of a complex of phenomena that to direct observation appear to be quite separate things. What, because of our education, differentiates us from everything else is our ability to be conscious, our intellect, and that same ability is the one that makes us question, analyze everything else, and establish whatever we’ve established, but that ability ultimately doesn’t make us more or less important. You might disagree and say: of course it does, we can determine the faith of our children’s, how can you be so egoistic, we can determinate the faith of our planet, we’re more important than all the other species. I’ve said it before, even if we destroy the planet, we will go instinct and he will probably reconstruct itself, might take millions of years, but it will, and if it doesn’t, that’s not really a problem, because problem is created by human conscience, so there is no problem. We’re in a constant fight to overcome what we think is our limitation of mortality and of controlling the uncontrollable, nature, and we’re a small, very small dot in the history of this planet, and even a smaller dot in the history of the universe. Analyzing the present, this planet is a very small dot in the universe, this galaxy is one of the possibly 100 billion. For some people that is scary, I think that should liberate us. I don’t see any of this as negative, I see as positive, that’s why I like zen, it makes us understand that we must des-understand, it makes us be aware of that Einstein quotation.

Now talking about the subject, capitalism. I think everyone that either is against or in favor of capitalism have to acknowledge that, by you simply be reading this message you’re already part of it, indirectly, but you are. Some American said not that long ago: This is the best time in the history of civilization to be alive. His probably right, but that is correct for us, us sitting, writing in a movie forum, our fridge with fruits from all continents, our wife’s with affordable jewelry from african’s 21 century mining slaves, our gas cheap from exploitation of 3rd world countries to keep the oil price barrel stabilized, a part of the reason 3rd world exists is because we need them that way, but the problem in civilization has always been extremism, and now we have extreme poverty and extreme richness, and everything exists in a contrast with something else, you don’t know white without knowing black. I think Charles Bukowski said it best: beware of those that either detest poverty or are proud of it. The problem we face is in absurd distribution of wealth, it’s inequality, and I’m not sure if capitalism alone is responsible for that, I’m not sure if that’s not human nature being faithful to human nature. I think, that the way I think is possible because of capitalism in some ways.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
@JoaoRodrigues
Whether I agree or not, I enjoyed reading that. Thanks for taking the time to provide more context to your views.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear