Your Favorite,1950's Movie Recommendations

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Can i ask for some lesser known 50s Westerns that i should check out?
Friendly Persuasion
The Big Country
Gunfight at the OK Corral
Stars in My Crown
Broken Arrow
The Red Badge of Courage
Bend of the River
The Big Sky
Hondo
The Naked Spur
The Man Without a Star
The Man From Laramie
The Tin Star
The Sheepman
Cowboy
The Horse Soldiers
The Last Train From Gun Hill
Warlock
The Hanging Tree

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
How many of his 11 Fifties movies have you seen gbg?

Also, just to put it into perspective for you, Psycho didn't make my 1960's list, so keep that in mind when considering my opinions. I like Psycho, but it's not a favorite Hitchcock movie for me.

My favorite 50s director is Elia Kazan and some of his films will be on my 50s list.

This is all of the films he did in the 50s.
1957 A Face in the Crowd
1956 Baby Doll
1955 East of Eden
1954 On the Waterfront
1953 Man on a Tightrope
1952 Viva Zapata!
1951 A Streetcar Named Desire
1950 Panic in the Streets

My favorite 50s director is Elia Kazan and some of his films will be on my 50s list.

This is all of the films he did in the 50s.
1957 A Face in the Crowd
1956 Baby Doll
1955 East of Eden
1954 On the Waterfront
1953 Man on a Tightrope
1952 Viva Zapata!
1951 A Streetcar Named Desire
1950 Panic in the Streets

I've seen some of those. I haven't seen Baby Doll, Man on a Tightrope, Viva Zapata!, and Panic in the Streets. But I like the ones that I've seen, so I'll add the rest to my watchlist, (if they're not on there already).

Also, just to put it into perspective for you, Psycho didn't make my 1960's list, so keep that in mind when considering my opinions. I like Psycho, but it's not a favorite Hitchcock movie for me.
Rear Window is one of my least favourite Hitchcock films while Saboteur is one of my favourites, so i don't think i fit the normal Hitch fan status either.

Thanks alot Mark, i was waiting for you to post

There's still so many films from the 50's that I still need to see. I've seen a few but not nearly enough.

However, one that I do think is essential viewing that hasn't been mentioned yet is Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

There's still so many films from the 50's that I still need to see. I've seen a few but not nearly enough.

However, one that I do think is essential viewing that hasn't been mentioned yet is Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

I don't like war movies, but I've seen Bridge on the River Kwai, (only because my father-in-law bought the DVD, but he said it locked up on him so I had to watch it to test it). It's been a while since I saw it, so I don't remember it very well, but from what I remember of it, I think the war movie fans will like it.

Already very high on my watchlist. Only seen Lawrence, Dr Zhivago, and his version of Oliver which will make my 40s list more than likely.

I don't like war movies, but I've seen Bridge on the River Kwai, (only because my father-in-law bought the DVD, but he said it locked up on him so I had to watch it to test it). It's been a while since I saw it, so I don't remember it very well, but from what I remember of it, I think the war movie fans will like it.
The best part was the whistling!

Care for some gopher?
From those who weren't mentionend yet, I can recommend the following:

The Hitch-Hiker
Les diaboliques
Los Olvidados
The Big Combo
La strada
Le notti de Cabiria
Die Brücke
Du rififi chez le hommes

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I really haven't watched many 50s films at all, so I shall be following this thread with interest in the lead up to the countdown.

I see the 1951 Scrooge has been mentioned, that's a classic, I watch it every Christmas. This year I watched a colorized version, but I think I prefer the black and white.

I love 12 Angry Men, The Sweet Smell of Success and Some Like It Hot, also High Society.

I'm also a big fan of The African Queen - adventure, romance, humour ("I pronounce you man and wife. Proceed with the execution.")

I don't think anybody has mentioned The 400 Blows yet, but I hope everybody checks it out. Truffaut was shut out of the 60s countdown, but The 400 Blows deserves at least to be a top 20 movie for the 50s countdown.

Max - I also love Les Diaboliques and Rififi.

A few British films - we made quite a few WW2 action films in the 1950s which I think deserve to be included. A personal favourite is Ice Cold in Alex which I think is a cracking film, but there's also The Dam Busters, Reach for the Sky, Dunkirk, The Wooden Horse and The Cruel Sea.
The Blue Lamp is a 1950 crime film that introduced one of Britain's most loved coppers George Dixon played by Jack Warner. He was the star of a long running spin off series called Dixon of Dock Green which ran from 1955 to 1976 with Warner playing Dixon for all those years.

Ealing Studios were in their classic comedy era in the 40s and 50s. Some of their great 1950s films are The Man in the White Suit, The Ladykillers, The Lavender Hill Mob.

the late 1950s were the very beginning of the so called 'kitchen sink' dramas, the more realistic portrayal of post war Britain that was still stifled by class. Look Back in Anger and Room at the Top were made just as the 1950s came to an end

I really haven't watched enough 50s movies to suggest anything other than films everyone already knows about but this thread will be useful.

Not lesser known, but people shouldn't forget High Noon or 3:10 to Yuma, which is much, much better (IMO) than the awful remake.

I haven't seen many, but I'll echo Mark with Friendly Persuasion and The Big Sky, and I would add Day of the Outlaw.

In a Lonely Place (1950)
Los Olvidados (1950)
Rashomon (1950)
Sunset Boulevard (1950)
Wagon Master (1950)
Diary of a Country Priest (1951)
Early Summer (1951)
The Lavendar Hill Mob (1951)
The River (1951)
Casque d'Or (1952)
The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice (1952)
Ikiru (1952)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
The Earrings of Madame de... (1953)
Roman Holiday (1953)
Tokyo Story (1953)
Wages of Fear (1953)
La Strada (1954)
On the Waterfront (1954)
Rear Window (1954)
Sansho the Bailiff (1954)
Seven Samurai (1954)
Voyage in Italy (1954)
The Criminal Life of Archibaldo de la Cruz (1955)
Kiss Me Deadly (1955)
Night and Fog (1955)
The Night of the Hunter (1955)
Pather Panchali (1955)
Smiles of a Summer Night (1955)
Aparajito (1956)
A Man Escaped (1956)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
The Searchers (1956)
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Nights of Cabiria (1957)
Paths of Glory (1957)
The Seventh Seal (1957)
Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
Throne of Blood (1957)
The Sun Legend of the End of the Tokugawa Era (1957)
Moi un noir (1958)
Mon oncle (1958)
The Music Room (1958)
Touch of Evil (1958)
Vertigo (1958)
The 400 Blows (1959)
Hiroshima mon amour (1959)
The Human Condition Trilogy (1959)
North by Northwest (1959)
Pickpocket (1959)
The World of Apu (1959)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The Wayward Wife (1953) hidden gem

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...