Tom Hardy

Tools    

I mostly knew him as Bane from The Dark Knight Rises, then as Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights and Shinzon in Star Trek Nemesis. Always thought he could have been a lot better in Nemesis. Always thought he did a good job as Heathcliff.

He caught my eye in The Dark Knight Rises, which made me want to see everything he's ever done.
That makes me think of a lot of actors who I first saw wearing masks or prosthetics and where it was a while before I actually saw what they looked like. For example Peter Wyngarde in Flash Gordon and Neil McCarthy in Clash of the Titans.

Always thought he could have been a lot better in Nemesis.
He ****ing owned Star Trek: Nemesis .

That makes me think of a lot of actors who I first saw wearing masks or prosthetics and where it was a while before I actually saw what they looked like. For example Peter Wyngarde in Flash Gordon and Neil McCarthy in Clash of the Titans.
Funny you should mention that because the first time I ever saw Eric Stolz was in Mask...it was several months after seeing that film before I saw what the guy actually looked like.

This might just do nobody any good.
He caught my eye in The Dark Knight Rises, which made me want to see everything he's ever done.
He caught mine in Rock n' Rolla (2008). Not a great movie but he's definitely a highlight.

Actually a surprising amount of actors I discovered in that one. Mark Strong, Idris Elba, Toby Kebbel, Gemma Arterton, Thandie Newton...

Funny you should mention that because the first time I ever saw Eric Stolz was in Mask...it was several months after seeing that film before I saw what the guy actually looked like.
That may be where I saw him first too; I bet it was before The Fly II anyway.

So my favorite actor for the past 25 years had been Anthony Hopkins. After a string of incredible and completely different performances it is now Tom Hardy. Now I'm currently watching Locke for the first time. I find it amazing how one performance can be the entire film, and still capture the attention of the viewer, especially in "Generation A.D.D.". I want to enjoy his career for years to come, so hope he doesn't die young, and finally does Taboo season 2 one day.

Funny I just mentioned how fantastic Hardy was on the ganster movie thread in a film called The Drop, That is a must for any fan of his. I would say I consider him one of the two or three best actors working today, and certainly king of the bug eyed intense role at present. Other roles of his I liked were in

Warrior

Legend
Lawless (Film was a bit of a disappointment but he was excellent)
The Revenant

We've gone on holiday by mistake
So my favorite actor for the past 25 years had been Anthony Hopkins. After a string of incredible and completely different performances it is now Tom Hardy. Now I'm currently watching Locke for the first time. I find it amazing how one performance can be the entire film, and still capture the attention of the viewer, especially in "Generation A.D.D.". I want to enjoy his career for years to come, so hope he doesn't die young, and finally does Taboo season 2 one day.
Locke was really a nice surprise, I've watched twice. Very good film. There's an intense realism aspect about a guy driving down the motorway with his life unraveling in a series of phonecalls.

Funny I just mentioned how fantastic Hardy was on the ganster movie thread in a film called The Drop, That is a must for any fan of his. I would say I consider him one of the two or three best actors working today, and certainly king of the bug eyed intense role at present. Other roles of his I liked were in

Warrior

Legend
Lawless (Film was a bit of a disappointment but he was excellent)
The Revenant
He's had such a great decade 2010-2019, even steals all his scenes in Peaky Blinders, and Taboo did better than it should have solely thanks to his presence.

Warrior is a much better film than it's given credit for, it's up there with the great fighting movies.

It's always a surprise to see baby face Hardy back in Band of Brothers 2001 along with lots of other future British stars like Stephen Graham.

Special mention to his Trap muscles for propelling him into the mainstream in Bronson, Warrior and Dark Knight Rises.

I really liked Hardy initially, but he's starting to string together some questionable performances. I thought he was average at best in Venom, and I've heard Capone is unwatchable.

Venom is hardly the sort of film you pick if you want an oscar is it.

Capone just isnt a very interesting film, and I don't think there's ever been a good one, it's one of those movies where the idea of it is more interesting thna the actual story of that person, ie Gotti, The Krays, they just don't have very movie worthy lives but because they were media darlings someone thinks it's a good idea to make a biography.

I really liked Hardy initially, but he's starting to string together some questionable performances. I thought he was average at best in Venom, and I've heard Capone is unwatchable.
Yeah, Johnny Depp was revered as an actor that could do no wrong until he played Tonto in The Lone Ranger. Ever since then his films have been crap, so hoping this wont ever be the case for Hardy.