The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Really liked both of these, and both got my vote!!

Seen: 29/86
- Slow West (#95)
- The Big Gundown (#85)
- The Furies (#84)
- The Gold Rush (#78)
- The Shooting (#71)
- The Grey Fox (#66)
- The Great Train Robbery (#60)
- Meek’s Cutoff (#58)
- Red River (#56)
- Bone Tomahawk (#54)
- The Cowboys (#50)
- Rango (#41)
- The Gunfighter (#40)
- Open Range (#36)
- Hell or High Water (#35)
- The Great Silence (#34)
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (#33)
- Johnny Guitar (#30)
- Tombstone (#28)
- The Revenant (#25)
- Stagecoach (#23)
- True Grit (#22)
- Blazing Saddles (#21)
- The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (#20)
- The Ox-Bow Incident (#19)
- For a Few Dollars More (#18)
- McCabe and Mrs. Miller (#17)
- A Fistful of Dollars (#16)
- The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (#15)

My list:
5. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
6. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
7. McCabe and Mrs. Miller
8. Blazing Saddles
11. For a Few Dollars More
12. Johnny Guitar
14. Hell or High Water
16. The Revenant
18. A Fistful of Dollars
19. Red River
20. The Gunfighter
21. Bone Tomahawk
23. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
24. Stagecoach

I thought we would be seeing the Hateful Eight and Django Unchained, but I’m not sure now!

I thought we would be seeing the Hateful Eight and Django Unchained, but I’m not sure now!
Really I think the top 14 are fairly obvious...

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Cat Ballou
Dances with Wolves
Django Unchained
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
The Hateful Eight
High Noon
Hud
Once Upon a Time in The West
Outlaw Josey Wales
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Rio Bravo
The Searchers
Silverado
Unforgiven
The Wild Bunch

With only 16 options you figure...Silvarado, Outlaw Josey Wales, Hud, Hateful Eight, and Cat Ballou are likely fighting for two open slots.

Cat Ballou
Dances with Wolves
Django Unchained
The Hateful Eight
High Noon
Hud
Outlaw Josey Wales
Rio Bravo
The Searchers
Silverado
Unforgiven
The Wild Bunch

With only 16 options you figure...Silvarado, Outlaw Josey Wales, Hud, Hateful Eight, and Cat Ballou are likely fighting for two open slots.
Hud already placed though.

No way is Silverado still in the running. I’d be shocked if it showed up (though not disappointed). I think Spaulding’s prediction is more accurate. Removing the films from his predicted top 20 that have since appeared on the countdown, we’re left with:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
Django Unchained
The Hateful Eight
The Wild Bunch
Dances with Wolves
The Searchers
Rio Bravo
Unforgiven
The Outlaw Josey Wales
There Will Be Blood
High Noon

I'm getting an impression here that MV didn't send a list in at all
1. 3:10 to Yuma (2007) (#29)
3. Open Range (#36)
5. The Quick and the Dead (#42)
6. The Hanging Tree (#87)
8. The Revenant (#25)
10. Dead Man (#26)
12. The Dark Valley (#92)
15. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#52)
17. Tombstone (#28)
18. Slow West (#95)
21. Rango (#41)
25. In Pursuit of Honor (One-Pointers)

Plus there are four more that I still expect to see show up.

A Fistful of Dollars was of course on my list. I had it at #10. I've heard many talk about which one they prefer and I honestly don't know. I've seen every film in the Dollars Trilogy at least twice and I've seen my opinion change upon rewatch. So I don't know. All I know is I like all of them.

I'm not a big fan of what I have seen from John Huston so far. And Treasure was no different. Not even Bogart could save it for me...

Cat Ballou
Dances with Wolves
Django Unchained
The Hateful Eight
High Noon
Hud
Outlaw Josey Wales
Rio Bravo
The Searchers
Silverado
Unforgiven
The Wild Bunch

Are you serious about Cat Ballou? Because it's not showing. The Outlaw Josey Wales and The Hateful Eight are absolutely, without a doubt showing up.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is my #3.

I watched Sierra Madre many times as a teen and it's probably the one movie which made me such a humongous Bogie and John Huston fan. The plot, taken from the mysterious B. Traven's novel, goes through all kinds of complications - being an out of work American in Mexico, getting ripped off by another American, learning about gold from a knowledgeable old-timer, wanting to throw water in Bobby Blake's "ugly mug", worrying about your goods and having to take "look sees", being scared about gila monsters, taking votes on whether to share your gold with an interloper or kill him, dealing with a spitting bandido in a gold hat who defiantly won't show you any stinking badges, performing some weird resuscitation and becoming a medicine man, going murderously beyond paranoia, betting on who can stay awake the longest, learning about a small Mexican town's quick legal system, dreaming about fruit harvests, dealing with strong northers and laughing about fate (among many others). Bogie is at his most terrific yet he's matched by grizzled Walter Huston and honest Tim Holt. John Huston mixes on-location reality and wonderful cinematography with detailed sets, rear-screen projection and obvious stunt men for knockdown fistfights. For a movie with such a dark and serious theme, it's amazingly fun and witty. And remember to never try to put one over on Fred C. Dobbs.

The opening scene of A Fistful of Dollars is awesome. The Man with No Name is awesome. Ennio Morricone's score is awesome. I didn't vote for it.

My List

1. Little Big Man
3. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
7. One-Eyed Jacks
8. The Professionals
10. Red River
11. Oklahoma!
12. Hud
13. The Big Country
14. Giant
19. The Ox-Bow Incident
20. The Ballad of Cable Hogue
22. Support Your Local Sheriff!
23. The Revenant

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is the fourth film directed by John Huston to make the countdown (following #94 The Unforgiven #93 The Misfits, and #76 The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean). This one, along with The Maltese Falcon, may be the most enduringly iconic films of his amazing career. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre finds two down on their luck Americans in Fred C. Dobbs (Humphrey Bogart) and Bob Curtain (Tim Holt) stranded south of the border in 1925 Mexico. They meet an old man, another American named Howard (Walter Huston), who claims to be a skilled prospector. The three men pool their meager resources to outfit themselves with enough gear to head up into the mountains and look for gold. They find it, but that is not the end of the story as they must fend off bandits and, perhaps most dangerously, gold fever and mistrust of each other. A great character piece and adventure tale that is as gangbusters today as it was over seven decades ago. It won three Oscars: Best Director and Best Screenplay for John Huston and Best Supporting Actor for his father Walter. Treasure of the Sierra Madre danced a jig onto twenty-three ballots, fourteen of them top ten votes with an eighth, a seventh, a sixth, two fifth, a fourth, two third, three second, and three first place nods. It is the first film to secure three 25-pointers.

NOW we're rollin'! Madre is a great picture with indelible performances by Walter Houston, Bogart, and even John Houston as the wealthy American. Houston's direction was flawless, as was the cinematography by Ted McCord.

Alfonso Bedoya's famous lines --"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"-- are some of the more memorable lines in western history.

FWIW I had Madre up at #2. (No one really cares about anyone else's list...)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I have more respect for Sierra Madre then I actually enjoy it. But it has been awhile though I've seen it many times. I think I threw it on my list out of respect.

Welcome to the human race...
It wouldn't surprise me simply because it's so well-known that a lot of people would vote for it practically by default, but whether or not it actually deserves it...that's another question entirely.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra