The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I think it's interesting that Eastwood has said that he hated smoking and chewing on those damnable cigars. He's a real health nut. It really bothered him. Yet it's difficult to imagine his character without them. It would be like Popeye without the pipe...

Both of these made my list, and both quite high!!! Super, super, surprised to see For a Few Dollars More place lower than a Fistful of Dollars, to me it's the far superior film.

Seen: 27/84
- Slow West (#95)
- The Big Gundown (#85)
- The Furies (#84)
- The Gold Rush (#78)
- The Shooting (#71)
- The Grey Fox (#66)
- The Great Train Robbery (#60)
- Meek’s Cutoff (#58)
- Red River (#56)
- Bone Tomahawk (#54)
- The Cowboys (#50)
- Rango (#41)
- The Gunfighter (#40)
- Open Range (#36)
- Hell or High Water (#35)
- The Great Silence (#34)
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (#33)
- Johnny Guitar (#30)
- Tombstone (#28)
- The Revenant (#25)
- Stagecoach (#23)
- True Grit (#22)
- Blazing Saddles (#21)
- The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (#20)
- The Ox-Bow Incident (#19)
- For a Few Dollars More (#18)
- McCabe and Mrs. Miller (#17)

My list:
6. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
7. McCabe and Mrs. Miller
8. Blazing Saddles
11. For a Few Dollars More
12. Johnny Guitar
14. Hell or High Water
16. The Revenant
19. Red River
20. The Gunfighter
21. Bone Tomahawk
23. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
24. Stagecoach

I haven't seen McCabe & Mrs. Miller but it looks interesting so I'll try to rectify that at some point. For a Few Dollars More was a #7 on my ballot. I also was expecting it to place higher than A Fistful of Dollars even though I don't see the huge difference between their quality like @ahwell above (there's a pretty big difference between both of them and two other Leones though). I just love Leone's style and he pretty much perfected the spaghetti western concept.

My List  

Seen both of course. Voted neither.
For A Few Dollars More IMO is the best of the Dollar's trilogy. I use to be a huge fan of Eastwood's early westerns, but not so much these days. Oh I like Eastwood as a on screen persona, I'm just not so enthused with spaghetti westerns as I use to be. I was meaning to rewatch this as I was aiming to see all of Eastwood's westerns. I didn't get around to this one though. Still worthy of being on the countdown.

McCabe & Mrs Miller I originally watched this for the first Western HoF and rated it a 3.5+ Then I watched it again for the Western III HoF and my opinion and rating went up. Glad to see this make the countdown!
My old review
:

McCabe & Mrs Miller (Robert Altman, 1971)

I loved the shooting location in Vancouver, B.C. Canada. It gave a really authentic look to the town with all that mud, rain and evergreen trees. The small, rustic town built on a steep mountainside also added to the film's ambiance. One beautiful movie to look at!

Great sets too...I loved the look of the film and the cinematography choices. The entire film was expertly handled by Altman. It's really near flawless. I especially liked the scene of the man dancing on the ice, which reminded me of one of the greatest movie scenes ever filmed (to bad that western isn't making the list).

I liked the story premise too, it was an interesting subject matter and I did enjoy watching it. Overall there's a lot to like here, unfortunately there's a few things that didn't work for me:

The theme song that played over and over, drove me nuts. It took me out of the film and was distracting as I kept focusing on it instead of the film.

Also I couldn't make out what was being said half the time. The words were so mumbled that I actually had to use subtitles to know what they were saying. This made it hard to connect to the film emotionally. The sound mix needed to be done differently.

The interior shots were to dark at times and hard to see, but they sure looked authentic. Just a tiny bit more light would have helped. I read other reviews that mentioned the darkness and sound quality so I know it just wasn't me. I also read Robert Altman deliberately 'frosted' the negative of his film so that it would have a dark slightly hazy look, that could not be corrected later on by the studio...an artistic choice that I liked.

But I don't like Warren Betty, I never have. His movie star fame didn't last long and he's not much of an actor either. Though I will say he's perfectly cast here as a successful but clueless business man. And true to Altman's style he spends a lot of time on colorful dialogue and yet doesn't give us much insight or development on the characters (or maybe I just couldn't hear it!) I felt like I didn't even know what Julie Christie's character was about. Nor did we get much on the momentous task of building a thriving town out of the wilderness mud.

McCabe & Mrs Miller is the kind of film that can grow on you and takes more than one viewing to get it's full effect. However as I already knew what was coming at the ending, the rewatch wasn't emotional rewarding and the last 20 minutes with the hired guns dragged for me.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller is my #20, love it for many reasons already mentioned plus McCabes incredibly cool winter coat, it also got me my second HoF win, making it an even more memorable film for me personally.
For A Few Dollars More is my #29 and together with the other two hold a spot on my all time/all genre 250 @ #36, I consider them to be amongst the spaghetti sub genre defining movies.

Seen list 53/84 + ranking on my personal list:
90. Duck, You Sucker! (#53)
85. The Big Gundown (#52)
82. ¡Three Amigos! (#50)
80. The Mercenary (#21)
79. My Name is Nobody (#13)
76. The Life & Times of Judge Roy Bean (#27)
75. Pale Rider (#60)
74. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (#58)
72. Maverick (#95)
69. Westworld (#65)
68. Bad Day at Black Rock (#62)
67. Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (#18)
66. The Grey Fox (#85)
64. Django (#36)
63. Ride the High Country (#92)
62. City Slickers (#82)
61. Young Guns (#11)
58. Meek's Cutoff (#67)
57. The Shootist (#40)
56. Red River (#78)
55. Back to the Future Part III (#49)
54. Bone Tomahawk (#55)
53. Winchester '73 (#32)
52. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#54)
51. Giant (#53)
48. 3:10 to Yuma (#35)
47. El Dorado (#29)
46. The Proposition (#68)
45. The Professionals (#71)
44. My Darling Clementine (#78)
43. Shane (#90)
42. The Quick and the Dead (#88)
40. The Gunfighter (#8)
39. Little Big Man (#33)
37. Jeremiah Johnson (#4)
36. Open Range (#47)
35. Hell or High Water (#17)
34. The Great Silence (#22)
32. One-Eyed Jacks (#7)
31. High Plains Drifter (#48)
30. Johnny Guitar (#93)
29. 3:10 to Yuma (#57)
28. Tombstone (#12)
27. The Big Country (#15)
26. Dead Man (#24)
25. The Revenant (#26)
24. The Magnificent Seven (#77)
23. Stagecoach (#37)
22. True Grit (#60)
20. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (#28)
19. The Ox-Bow Incident (#16)
18. For A Few Dollars More (#29)
17. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#20)

My Ballot 14/25:
  1. - Top 2 for sure.
  2. - Will probably end up in the top 5.
  3. - 1000%
  4. Jeremiah Johnson 1972
  5. - Will probably end up in the top 3.
  6. - 100%
  7. One-Eyed Jacks 1961
  8. The Gunfighter 1950
  9. - 100%
  10. - 100%
  11. Young Guns 1988
  12. Tombstone 1993
  13. My Name Is Nobody 1973
  14. - 100%
  15. The Big Country 1958
  16. The Ox-Bow Incident 1943
  17. Hell or High Water 2016
  18. Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid 1973
  19. - 75%
  20. McCabe & Mrs. Miller 1971
  21. The Mercenary 1968
  22. The Great Silence 1968
  23. - 100%
  24. Dead Man 1995
  25. - Don't think this one is going to show up..

Unofficial Henry Fonda counter: IIII

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
McCabe & Mrs Miller I originally watched this for the first Western HoF and rated it a 3.5+ Then I watched it again for the Western III HoF and my opinion and rating went up. Glad to see this make the countdown!
My old review
:

McCabe & Mrs Miller (Robert Altman, 1971)

I loved the shooting location in Vancouver, B.C. Canada. It gave a really authentic look to the town with all that mud, rain and evergreen trees. The small, rustic town built on a steep mountainside also added to the film's ambiance. One beautiful movie to look at!

Great sets too...I loved the look of the film and the cinematography choices. The entire film was expertly handled by Altman. It's really near flawless. I especially liked the scene of the man dancing on the ice, which reminded me of one of the greatest movie scenes ever filmed (to bad that western isn't making the list).

I liked the story premise too, it was an interesting subject matter and I did enjoy watching it. Overall there's a lot to like here, unfortunately there's a few things that didn't work for me:

The theme song that played over and over, drove me nuts. It took me out of the film and was distracting as I kept focusing on it instead of the film.

Also I couldn't make out what was being said half the time. The words were so mumbled that I actually had to use subtitles to know what they were saying. This made it hard to connect to the film emotionally. The sound mix needed to be done differently.

The interior shots were to dark at times and hard to see, but they sure looked authentic. Just a tiny bit more light would have helped. I read other reviews that mentioned the darkness and sound quality so I know it just wasn't me. I also read Robert Altman deliberately 'frosted' the negative of his film so that it would have a dark slightly hazy look, that could not be corrected later on by the studio...an artistic choice that I liked.

But I don't like Warren Betty, I never have. His movie star fame didn't last long and he's not much of an actor either. Though I will say he's perfectly cast here as a successful but clueless business man. And true to Altman's style he spends a lot of time on colorful dialogue and yet doesn't give us much insight or development on the characters (or maybe I just couldn't hear it!) I felt like I didn't even know what Julie Christie's character was about. Nor did we get much on the momentous task of building a thriving town out of the wilderness mud.

McCabe & Mrs Miller is the kind of film that can grow on you and takes more than one viewing to get it's full effect. However as I already knew what was coming at the ending, the rewatch wasn't emotional rewarding and the last 20 minutes with the hired guns dragged for me.

Yeah what you said CR. And the fake snow. If they wanted real snow, they could have filmed around Whistler. Despite it's flaws, which were numerous as you pointed out, I had it at #6.

I think it's interesting that Eastwood has said that he hated smoking and chewing on those damnable cigars. He's a real health nut. It really bothered him. Yet it's difficult to imagine his character without them. It would be like Popeye without the pipe...

Those cigarillos he smokes in the Dollars films are particularly vile, Eastwood has said in interviews, so they always put him in the right frame of mind. (He smokes regular cigars in various other westerns and movies, so I'm not sure that part bothered him.)

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
For a Few Dollars more is, IMO, the best of the Dollars Trilogy by a landslide and only second to Once Upon a Time in the West in the Leone Filmography. My #2.

I'll post my partial list soon.

Yeah what you said CR. And the fake snow. If they wanted real snow, they could have filmed around Whistler. Despite it's flaws, which were numerous as you pointed out, I had it at #6.
The snow was fake? I've seen McCabe & Mrs Miller three times now and never realized it was fake. It must have been made from ice, so it's real but man made snow. I thought the snow made the movie. I did have it on my short list, but it got bumped as other movies got added.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
The snow was fake? I've seen McCabe & Mrs Miller three times now and never realized it was fake. It must have been made from ice, so it's real but man made snow. I thought the snow made the movie. I did have it on my short list, but it got bumped as other movies got added.
Not on the ground, there was a fake snow effect.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Anyone who has been paying attention already knows that I'm not a fan of spaghetti westerns, but For a Few Dollars More was one of the better ones that I watched. It was kind of slow at times, but I liked the chemistry between Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef. My favorite scene was the hat shooting scene, but it wasn't enough for me to consider this movie for my list.

I watched McCabe & Mrs. Miller a while back, either for the 1970s countdown or maybe one of the HoFs, but I thought the movie was only okay. I watched it again for this countdown, and it was a little better the second time around, but it still didn't make my list.

Originally posted by @mark f
Didn't vote for either. Originally, I didn't like McCabe's all-out revisionism, the constant overlapping dialogue which didn't seem to mean anything, even Zsigmond's usual exemplary photography was too grimy and lived in. The whole thing had the opposite of the intended effect - it screamed look at me! The reason you're watching this is because I'm a movie!

This is the way I feel about almost all of Altman's movies. Especially the overlapping dialogue and the unnecessary zooms and close-ups of characters while they're vocally making their point or reacting to the other actor. But I didn't come hear to bury Altman nor did I come to praise him. I just come to "eh" him. I like a few of his films. But this ain't one of them, therefore, no vote.

Now For a Few Dollars More...YES! I love this movie and like quite a few others here, it's my favorite of the "Dollars" trilogy. As much a fan of Clint's as I am, I felt this was Van Cleef's movie and it's my favorite role of his. I'm so glad to see it in the Top 20. I had a feeling it would be.

My list so far:
Hombre Me: 13 The list proper: 88
The Naked Spur Me: 25 The list proper: 86
Ride the High Country Me: 10 The list proper: 63
Winchester '73 Me: 20 The list proper: 53
El Dorado Me: 2 The list proper: 47
The Professionals Me: 23 The list proper: 45
Shane Me: 12 The list proper: 43
True Grit Me: 4 The list proper: 38
Open Range Me: 19 The list proper: 36
Tombstone Me: 15 The list proper: 28
The Big Country Me: 9 The list proper: 27
The Magnificent Seven Me: 5 The list proper: 24
For a Few Dollars More Me: 6 The list proper: 18

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

This is the little movie that spawned an industry. There were other Spaghetti Westerns before Sergio Leone’s A Fistful of Dollars, but it was its worldwide box office phenomenon that created a gigantic, global market for Italian movies with European financing shot in Spain featuring an international cast. Clint Eastwood was frustrated with his television career and inability to choose his own projects while under studio contract so he gambled on this stylized Western reworking of Akira Kurosawa’s Yojimbo (1961), which is itself inspired by Dashiell Hammett novels. A gifted gunman wanders into a town where there is a power struggle between two men and he decides to play both sides against the middle for profit. It is very simple yet what made the movie so exciting and fresh, and continues to engage each subsequent generation, is its dark sense of humor, Eastwood’s limitless cool, the distinctive visual style, and an iconic score by Ennio Morricone. A Fistful of Dollars was on twenty-seven ballots including first, second, and fifth place votes, four sixth, two seventh, an eighth, two ninth, and a tenth.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is the fourth film directed by John Huston to make the countdown (following #94 The Unforgiven, #93 The Misfits, and #76 The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean). This one, along with The Maltese Falcon, may be the most enduringly iconic films of his amazing career. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre finds two down on their luck Americans in Fred C. Dobbs (Humphrey Bogart) and Bob Curtain (Tim Holt) stranded south of the border in 1925 Mexico. They meet an old man, another American named Howard (Walter Huston), who claims to be a skilled prospector. The three men pool their meager resources to outfit themselves with enough gear to head up into the mountains and look for gold. They find it, but that is not the end of the story as they must fend off bandits and, perhaps most dangerously, gold fever and mistrust of each other. A great character piece and adventure tale that is as gangbusters today as it was over seven decades ago. It won three Oscars: Best Director and Best Screenplay for John Huston and Best Supporting Actor for his father Walter. Treasure of the Sierra Madre danced a jig onto twenty-three ballots, fourteen of them top ten votes with an eighth, a seventh, a sixth, two fifth, a fourth, two third, three second, and three first place nods. It is the first film to secure three 25-pointers.

The Sons of Katie Elder, North to Alaska, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Shootist, Red River, The Cowboys, El Dorado,
True Grit, Stagecoach, Two Mules for Sister Sara, Pale Rider, High Plains Drifter, For a Few Dollars More
and A Fistful of Dollars

A Fistful of Dollars was #11 on my ballot. It's my least favorite of the trilogy but that doesn't mean it's bad. Its plot has been done (far too) many times and it's not a story I particularly like, but Leone's style elevates this version above others (even above Kurosawa's). I haven't seen The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, I think.

My List  

A Fistful Of Dollars was my #7, would have been my #9 without the brain farts. I certainly enjoy The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre but it's not a film that I considered for my list.

Seen: 52/86 (watched The Furies yesterday - decent but wouldn't have made my ballot)
My list:  

Faildictions (yee-haw version 1.11):
14. The Outlaw Josey Wales
13. Django Unchained (2012)

Welcome to the human race...
Another double-header for me. A Fistful of Dollars was my #18 - I used to consider it my favourite of the Dollars films because of its no-nonsense plot that is aided by Leone's somewhat patient approach to Western filmmaking rather than dragged down by it. However, its appeal has worn a little thin over the years not just compared to its more ambitious sequels but also in how films that apply the same premise to different genres like Yojimbo or Miller's Crossing do it in ways that I find more interesting to watch. Still good enough to vote for, though.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre was my #8. One of those absolutely elemental films that forms a major cornerstone of cinematic storytelling even if its whole thesis on greed and how it tears people apart was nothing new even back in 1948. Favourite Huston film, favourite Bogart film, and definitely one of my favourite "old" films.

Another gem!! But still low! I guess when it's a Western, gunslinging always takes the cake.

As far as Eastwood goes, I liked his Westerns. But Dirty Harry made me a fan! But I am more interested in his directing now than his old movies. Yeah last few years have been a bit bad, but in many ways Richard Jewel was a return to form for him.