The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Do we have a set in stone idea for our next list?
i think it's a general top 100? i'd love to do that of course, but I know some people weren't too keen on it.

It's been quite a while since I posted on this thread so there's a lot to update.

From the previous dozen, I haven't seen the following: One-Eyed Jacks, Johnny Guitar, The Big Country, and Stagecoach. I'm not entirely sure about Dead Man and Blazing Saddles but at least I don't have any clear recollection of either so I'll count them as a no.

I probably should have rewatched High Plains Drifter as I remember it being quite OK. Maybe its supernatural elements work for a horror fan. I'm pretty sure I liked 3:10 to Yuma the first time I saw it but the rewatch for an HoF was disappointing. Tombstone is an OK film and just for Val Kilmer, I did consider it for my vote. I'm quite sure that my opinion on Tombstone varies depending on my mood.

The Revenant didn't impress me as much as I had hoped. It looks good but I didn't get much more out of it. Oh, and Leo was miscast in my opinion. The Magnificent Seven I've seen as a kid but don't remember much (I tried to watch the remake at some point though, but I don't hold that against the original). True Grit I saw when it was new(ish). I liked some of it, but the most prominent memory about it is the ending, which I hated. Again, I considered a rewatch but didn't.

Seen less than half

My List  

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
True Grit was my #12. I had both versions, this one a little higher up because I enjoyed it more. Would I have felt the same had I seen them the other way around? I don't know.

My list so far and guesses for the rest of the list...

1. Will make it. Dead Cert
2. Dead Man (1995)
3. Hud (1963)
4. Not this high up, sadly
5. Will make it. Probably.
6. Will make it
7. Stagecoach (1939)
8. Will make it
9. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)
10. The Magnificent Seven (1960)
11. Will make it. Probably next.
12. True Grit (2010)
13. The Revenant (2015)
14. Slow West (2015)
15. The Dark Valley (2014)
16. Won't make it
17. Maybe? I thought it would have shown up by now
18. Red River (1948)
19. True Grit (1969)
20. Johnny Guitar (1954)
21. Probably not at this point, but what do I know about how popular classic Westerns are?
22. Possibly
23. My Darling Clementine (1946)
24. Nope
25. Nope. Unless honeykid has a lot of alt accounts voting...

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Can't remember if I voted for True Grit, think I did but I found it disappointing. I thought a Coen Western, it will 100% be good but it was a bit flat.

I watched True Grit (2010) back when it came out, I wasn't impressed and I hadn't even seen the John Wayne original at that point.

Blazing Saddles
, Mel Brooks humor ugh! I don't find that type of comedy funny, not one bit.

Seen Both...Disliked Both

We've gone on holiday by mistake
If the highlight of your movie is a girl riding a pony through a strong river then you're in trouble.

Johnny Guitar was my #5. Such a weird, unconventional western, especially for its time period. There's a high degree of camp and theatricality, with its elaborately artificial sets and garish colors, that gives the film an instantly recognizable aesthetic. The dialogue is deliciously stylized. The melodrama is intoxicating. There's also tons of subtext, from homosexual undertones to thinly veiled attacks on McCarthyism. It's also refreshing to see a classic western with strong female characters front and center, since the genre often limits them to homemakers, kidnap victims or prostitutes.

3:10 to Yuma was my #11. I have a soft spot for this film as it's responsible for introducing me to the genre. 2007 was a formative year for me as a budding cinephile (I think I saw close to 80 movies in the theater that year), but I was still ignorant toward westerns, considering them outdated, stodgy "dad" films. I only bought tickets for this film because it starred Batman and Gladiator. It turned out to be the perfect gateway to the genre: modern, thrilling, emotionally stirring, plenty of action and excitement, yet still reliant on the western model and its recurring themes and aesthetics. I especially love the bond that develops between Bale and Crowe over the course of the film, and the ending packs a wallop.

High Plains Drifter was my #12. A Ghost with No Name materializing from the haze like an apocalyptic horseman, blazing a trail of Old Testament-style vengeance through a town of sinners and cowards. A singular vision unlike any other western I've seen. More horror than revisionism. Cruel, grim, mean-spirited tone, with hellish imagery (flames and red paint galore!) and a mythic, supernatural gunslinger. I wish more westerns like this existed. It's no surprise that John Wayne supposedly hated this flick, as it spits in the face of Hollywood's idealized Old West.

The Big Country was my #16. A borderline masterpiece, and the only reason I use the word "borderline" is because I've only had the pleasure of watching it once so far. This is my favorite first-time viewing of 2020, and easily my favorite "discovery" while prepping for this countdown. Grand, epic, cinematic storytelling that steadily builds stakes and intrigue across its nearly three-hour runtime. This has everything you could want in a movie: drama, action, romance, gorgeous photography, an amazing cast, excellent performances, complicated characters, perfect direction, great script, memorable climax . . .

Stagecoach was my #23. A few years ago this would've been top five on my ballot, but I've fallen a bit out love with it on subsequent viewings. Still respect its influence and formal mastery too much not to throw a few points its way. Classic Cowboys-and-Indians excitement featuring some of the most death-defying stunt work you'll ever witness, along with plenty of great character work. A microcosm of society aboard a stagecoach. The birth of an icon courtesy of a legend-making zoom-in of the Duke, saddle in one hand, rifle in the other. A landmark western. A landmark film. There's a reason Welles called this textbook film-making.

My List:
#4) The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (1972)
#5) Johnny Guitar (1954)
#9) The Gunfighter (1950)
#10) Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)
#11) 3:10 to Yuma (2007)
#12) High Plains Drifter (1973)
#13) The Great Silence (1968)
#16) The Big Country (1958)
#21) Winchester ‘73 (1950)
#23) Stagecoach (1939)
#25) True Grit (1969)

Seen: 68/80

Let's do this one too...

01: Will make it
02: Don't make it
03: Will make it
04: The Great Silence (1968 - Corbucci)
05: Don't make it

06: The Proposition (2005 - Hillcoat)
07: Will make it
08: Will make it
09: Don't make it
10: The Dark Valley (2014 - Prochaska)

11: Will make it
12: I thought this could make it but don't see it being in top-20
13: Will make it
14: I think this makes it but didn't expect it this high
15: I thought this could make it but don't see it being in top-20

16: I thought this could make it but don't see it being in top-20
17: I thought this could make it but don't see it being in top-20
18: Don't make it
19: Will probably make it
20: Don't make it

21: Don't make it
22: The Gunfighter (1950 - King)
23: Don't make it
24: Don't make it
25: Bone Tomahawk (2015 - Zahler)

Pretty sure this is our top 20, no clue what order they'll appear:

A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
Django Unchained
The Hateful Eight
The Wild Bunch
Dances with Wolves
The Searchers
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Rio Bravo
Unforgiven
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
There Will Be Blood
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
High Noon
The Ox-Bow Incident

Pretty sure this is our top 20, no clue what order they'll appear:

A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
Django Unchained
The Hateful Eight
The Wild Bunch
Dances with Wolves
The Searchers
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Rio Bravo
Unforgiven
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
There Will Be Blood
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
High Noon
The Ox-Bow Incident

Desperado?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
i think it's a general top 100? i'd love to do that of course, but I know some people weren't too keen on it.
I'm guessing like only 5-8 of mine would make the list

I'm guessing like only 5-8 of mine would make the list
Same, if we both rally for Spirited Away there’s a shot

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Didn't vote for either but they were both way up there.
True Grit (Coen Bros., 2010)
+

I want to compare this exemplary flick to the John Wayne version. I actually give both versions the same rating although I thought that for awhile I might give this one a slightly higher rating. Let me tell you what I think of these two flicks which really aren't all that different if you're actually paying attention. I will admit that I've seen the Wayne version about 10 times so I basically have that one memorized and sometimes it's not described very accurately at that. For example, this flick is rated PG-13 and I don't think it's any more violent or profane than John Wayne's G-rated version. In Wayne's version you actually see Dennis Hopper's fingers fly off the knife. It tells you more about the era and the evolution of the MPAA than anything else.

This version has a terrific performance by Hailee Steinfeld and Matt Damon is much better than Glen Campbell as Shia's great-great-great grandfather. However, I think that Robert Duvall, Jeff Corey, Dennis Hopper and General Sterling Price are better than Josh Brolin, Barry Pepper and whoever the hell else they had here. Even the guy playing the Strother Martin role was obviously doing an imitation of Strother and it wasn't nearly as good. (Sorry, Holds.) Next, we get to the lead Rooster Cogburn. Bridges is very good. I thought he may have been trying to do Don Corleone, but then Josh Brolin sounded like he was too! But there's no way in hell that anyone who doesn't believe that John Wayne is such a Duck (from Unforgiven) won't think that Wayne is better than Bridges. I mean, Bridges, in my opinion, is better than his year-earlier Academy Award-winning performance, but he still ain't no John Wayne, and the people who think that Wayne did not give a performance as Rooster are in pure denial.

Other changes worth noting include the fact that the the intro to Matty was different, the intro to LeBeouf was different, the ending was completely transposed. What happened to LeBeouf seems to happen to Rooster, what happens to other characters seems to happen to Mattie, and thus perhaps it may seem less sentimental, but I don't really think it is. Steinfeld is excellent but the fact that she isn't there at the end of the film and is played by her older self seems to rob the character and the film of some of its emotional power. Unlike many others, I've always enjoyed Kim Darby in the original. Of course, it's a bookend and the opening bookend is also quite different than the original flick.

Something else I want to say is that Lucien Ballard's cinematography in the original is gorgeous and full of green trees, meadows, blue water and other very colorful locations. The Coens have Roger Deakins as DP but his pallette almost seems to rival what he did in Fargo. All the greens have turned grey, there is very little water and snow pops up in more than one scene. Apparently this is meant to highlight a difference in seasons and the fact that Arkansas and the Indian Nation just aren't that ripe and luscious as they seemed in the original which was admittedly shot further west than the story was set. There are quite a few other scenes which are different in this newer flick but I'll get to those later if anybody even cares. It's a solid movie, but with such a great plot, I'm not sure how it couldn't be. I'll try to come back and add some more later because although about 85% is the same, it's interesting and/or weird the small part which is different. Did Bridges steal Marlon Brando's Kleenex from The Godfather? Was Bridges' right eye covered because he's somehow left-wing while John Wayne's left eye was covered because he was super right-wing? I have no idea, but it's a thought. Irrelevant to two very good movies, but a thought.
God bless Mel Brooks.