Texas Chainsaw Massacre Reboot

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Variety has reported that Andy and Ryan Tohill, who directed the well-reviewed Irish thriller The Dig are set to direct a full-on reboot of the 1974 horror classic The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which will be produced by renowned genre director Fede Alvarez (The Evil Dead remake and Don't Breathe) and producing partner Rodolfo Sagayues with Chris Thomas Devlin tackling the script.

Alvarez had this to say about the hiring of the Tohill Brothers:
“The Tohill’s vision is exactly what the fans want. It’s violent, exciting and so depraved that it will stay with you forever.”

Shooting has begun on the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie. It is pretty much confirmed they are going the route of 2018's Halloween, with this new film retconning all the sequels (and remakes). However, the Tohill Brothers left production only after one week as Legendary were unhappy with the footage that was given. A replacement has already been found in David Blue Garcia. The new film reportedly involves 2 sisters from California who go to Texas for a business trip (the younger one is in a wheelchair) and they come face to face with a now elderly Leatherface.

Sadly, Gunnar Hansen passed away in 2015, so a new actor yet to be named will play the chainsaw wielding maniac.

Garcia is shooting the entire film from scratch, which is now happening in Bulgaria with Elsie Fisher, Sarah Yarkin, Jacob Latimore, and Moe Dunford in the cast so far.

Again? Remakes and reboots everywhere and this franchise already had more than once attempt...

And by the sound of it, they are gonna screw up yet again. Hiring and firing people left and right just to get the movie done. That’s not gonna work. There needs to be a vision and there needs to be passion.

Welcome to the human race...
Pretty much. Unless there's a genuinely intriguing hook that's not being mentioned in that rather generic-looking logline, it's looking like another underwhelming addition to the franchise.

The truth is in here
They really do not seem to have any idea what do with this series. Ever since 2003 we've had one remake, two reboots and one 3D movie. And all of them (except for possibly the remake, where the reception is more mixed) got pretty poor reviews. There are plenty of famous serial killers out there, surely there is something else they could make a franchise out of?

It is official. The new film, which finished shooting, is going the Halloween route and retconning all sequels and reboots. The film will be set 47 years after the original. Alice Krige (Stephen King's Sleepwalkers) is replacing the late Marilyn Burns as the elderly Sally Hardesty, who I can only speculate, must help two sisters against a now 60s year old Leatherface.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, just...what the hell. It's one thing to retcon every other installment like Halloween '18 did, but to recycle the same "final girl is now old and bitter" plot is just shameless. Imagine if this starts a trend where we have to see older versions of Nancy Thompson or Kirsty Cotton have to deal with their respective nemeses for the "first" time.

And as much as I've liked Alice Krige in the past (she was indelible as the Borg Queen), she seems extremely miscast as Sally Hardesty, even an old and traumatised version.

And as much as I've liked Alice Krige in the past (she was indelible as the Borg Queen), she seems extremely miscast as Sally Hardesty, even an old and traumatised version.
The role of Sally Hardesty may actually be played by Irish actress Olwen Fouere (Mandy) as she seems to resemble more of Sally Hardesty.

I dunno, Sally didn't look in any shape to be doing a sequel at the end of the original

I dunno, Sally didn't look in any shape to be doing a sequel at the end of the original

Maybe a theory would be she spent time in a mental health facility and eventually found herself strong enough to face off against Leatherface again, much like Laurie Strode did in Halloween. Who knows? The new film does completely retcon all the sequels and remakes.

Although in TCM: The Next Generation, we do see Sally 20 years later still in the hospital as Marilyn Burns appeared in a cameo. Still wished she was with us to return for the 2021 film.

wait are they rebooting again?
They're doing a direct sequel a la 2018's Halloween. Not counting any of the sequels or remakes or even the 2013 "sequel" and 2017 "prequel". This is a new sequel directly 47 years after the 1974 original. On the plus side, producer Fede Alvarez said they are used vintage lenses to give it that old school and practical effects like he did with his remake of The Evil Dead.

They're doing a direct sequel a la 2018's Halloween. Not counting any of the sequels or remakes or even the 2013 "sequel" and 2017 "prequel". This is a new sequel directly 47 years after the 1974 original. On the plus side, producer Fede Alvarez said they are used vintage lenses to give it that old school and practical effects like he did with his remake of The Evil Dead.
ohhhh okay thank you

Olwen Fouere is confirmed as the older Sally Hardesty.

Mark Burnham has been confirmed as the older Leatherface.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...vie-exclusive/

I absolutely love the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie but I just cannot get excited about any sequels, prequels, remakes or whatever other excuse there is to get the characters back on screen. Another case of desperation cinema to make a quick buck. Here today, forgotten tomorrow.

Seems like they're pulling the same trick as the 3D movie from 2014 in positioning it as a direct sequel to the original. That movie wasn't terrible, in my humble opinion. It looked nice enough and I liked some of the cast. I prefer it to the 2003 remake at least.

I would have been more excited if Alvarez was directing as I think he has what it takes to do justice to the franchise (based on Don't Breathe and his Evil Dead remake), but I have a hard time imagining this will be worse than the Leatherface prequel from a few years ago, which I found aggressively unpleasant. (Not to be confused with Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 which is pretty decent, '90s sheen aside.)

Seems like they're pulling the same trick as the 3D movie from 2014 in positioning it as a direct sequel to the original. That movie wasn't terrible, in my humble opinion. It looked nice enough and I liked some of the cast. I prefer it to the 2003 remake at least.

I would have been more excited if Alvarez was directing as I think he has what it takes to do justice to the franchise (based on Don't Breathe and his Evil Dead remake), but I have a hard time imagining this will be worse than the Leatherface prequel from a few years ago, which I found aggressively unpleasant. (Not to be confused with Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 which is pretty decent, '90s sheen aside.)
Let's face it..nothing could be worse then The Next Generation...now that's very cringeworthy and not in a good way either.

I too actually thought the 2013 "sequel" had quite a nice touch. My only issue is that the character of Heather should have been older or at least mention it was set in the 90's rather than 40 years later. But I thought Dan Yeager actually made for a good "elderly" Leatherface. The whole anti hero bit in the end really surprised me.

I am interested to see how Mark Burnham will take on the role of the elderly Leatherface. I hope he does it justice that would make Gunnar Hansen proud as well as seeing Olwen Fouere do Marilyn Burns proud as the elderly Sally.