mr. sky fox reviews and ranks: Don Bluth directed movies

→ in
Tools    

per request, i watched all of the movies i could find directed by Don Bluth, of which i found 10. ill split this into 2 parts: part 1, this post, will be 10-6, and part 2, a later post in this thread, will be 5-1. seeing as i enjoyed looking at the best and worst a director has done, im considering doing so again for the next set. anyway, 10-6:

10. The Pebble and the Penguin - 1/10

9. A Troll in Central Park - 1.5/10

8. Rock-a-Doodle - 2/10

7. Thumbelina - 2.5/10

6. Titan A.E. - 5/10 (note: he was co-director on this movie)

ill post the other 5 soon enough.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
per request, i watched all of the movies i could find directed by Don Bluth, of which i found 10. ill split this into 2 parts: part 1, this post, will be 10-6, and part 2, a later post in this thread, will be 5-1. seeing as i enjoyed looking at the best and worst a director has done, im considering doing so again for the next set. anyway, 10-6:

8. Rock-a-Doodle - 2/10

7. Thumbelina - 2.5/10

The only two of these movies that I've seen are Rock-a-Doodle and Thumbelina, but it's been a while since I've seen them. I don't remember either of them being great movies, and sadly, they're not very memorable movies.

8. Rock-a-Doodle - 2/10

7. Thumbelina - 2.5/10

I haven't seen The Pebble and the Penguin and until now, I didn't even know it existed. If it's really as bad as you say, though, I'll avoid it like the plague!

A Troll in Central Park is, in my opinion, the worst cartoon movie of the 90s. I was legitimately shocked when I learned Bluth made that film. Just...why?

Rock-a-Doodle...been forever since I've heard of that film. I remember not liking the live-action bits, but enjoying the cartoon bits. Then again, that was nearly 20 years ago, so who knows now!

Thumbelina is a movie I didn't even enjoy as a kid, so even though it's been as long, if not longer, since I've seen it as Rock-a-Doodle, I imagine my opinion hasn't changed.

And I may or may not be in the minority here, but I liked Titan A.E. and I'm once again shocked - didn't know Bluth helped make it! Not my go-to science fiction animated film (that would be WALL-E), but I do prefer it to The Clone Wars movie. (Speaking of, do you plan on reviewing the Star Wars saga?)

my apologies, i forgot to come back! anyway, 5-1:

5. All Dogs Go to Heaven - 5/10

4. An American Tail - 5.5/10

3. The Land Before Time - 7/10

2. Anastasia - 7/10

1. The Secret of NIMH - 9.5/10

and that should wrap this up. since i want to do more directors movie reviews, heres a couple im up to watching for reviews, plus a couple based on other topics:
-Michael Bay movies
-M. Night Shyamalan movies
-batman movies
-blue sky movies

let me know what you want to see next. and baggins, ill do star wars after the Solo movie. similar reason as to why im waiting for mcu. will do those after Ant-Man and the Wasp.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

2. Anastasia - 7/10

I didn't think I was going to like All Dogs Go to Heaven based on the trailer, but I was surprised at how much I liked it. It's not one of my favorite animated movies, but it's a pretty good movie.

I loved An American Tail when I saw it in the theater, but it doesn't hold up as well on rewatches. It's still a good movie, but it's just not as good as I remembered it.

I haven't seen any of the The Land Before Time movies, but they look cute.

I love Anastasia. It's one of my favorite animated movies, even over many of the Disney and Pixar movies.

I watched The Secret of NIMH for one of the Hall of Fames here, and I didn't think I was going to like it, but it turned out to be a pretty good movie.

and that should wrap this up. since i want to do more directors movie reviews, heres a couple im up to watching for reviews, plus a couple based on other topics:
-Michael Bay movies
-M. Night Shyamalan movies
-batman movies
-blue sky movies

let me know what you want to see next. and baggins, ill do star wars after the Solo movie. similar reason as to why im waiting for mcu. will do those after Ant-Man and the Wasp.

I haven't seen many movies in any of those categories, so I'll let others help you decide what to do next. (Is Blue Sky the company that made the Ice Age movies?)

2. Anastasia - 7/10

I've actually seen all of these movies!

All Dogs Go to Heaven is one that I imagine would give kids nightmares. I mean, who would think of "Dog Hell", right? Anyway, pretty good film.

An American Tail is also good, though I prefer All Dogs Go to Heaven over it. Even so, no denying the awesomeness that is "Somewhere Out There"!

The Land Before Time is among my favorite dinosaur movies, and of these ten films, it would be my #2 of the bunch!

Anastasia is a good film, but I think it's also a little overrated. Only a little, though. Definitely has a badass villain song!

And then there's The Secret of NIMH...the jewel of the bunch! Fantastic movie! Really want a copy of it!

As for the categories, I'm curious about Shyamalan, since he started strong, fell quite a bit, and has started rising again. I'm typically not a fan of Bay, so whenever on that one is fine. I do like Batman, so I'm interested in it, but is there any rule to those? Like, are you doing only live-action, or will animated count as well? And I think you're right, gbgoodies. Blue Sky is the company behind Ice Age. Meh.

In order of interest:
-Shyamalan
-Batman
-Bay
-Blue Sky

Unless someone else wants something in particular?

ok, its settled. ill do them in that order. Shyamalan, here i come!

I do like Batman, so I'm interested in it, but is there any rule to those? Like, are you doing only live-action, or will animated count as well?
the movies that hit theaters, live-action and animated. will include the Burton/Schumacher series, the tdk trilogy, a couple animated movies, his run-in with superman, and the '66 classic. may include Justice League, too, since he's in there, but its not labeled specifically as a batman movie, so thats in the air.