Sherlock Holmes Review

→ in
Tools    

Big Chico's Movie Blog
The holidays, filled with family, fun, and of course a trip to the cinema Christmas day. This year I had the privilege to take my best friend and wife Lady Chica to see “Sherlock Holmes.” Before we get started, I always believe we should start with the movies synopsis so people can have a frame of reference for the review.

After finally catching serial killer and occult "sorcerer" Lord Blackwood, legendary sleuth Sherlock Holmes and his assistant Dr. Watson can close yet another successful case. But when Blackwood mysteriously returns from the grave and resumes his killing spree, Holmes must take up the hunt once again. Contending with his partner's new fiancée and the dimwitted head of Scotland Yard, the dauntless detective must unravel the clues that will lead him into a twisted web of murder, deceit, and black magic - and the deadly embrace of temptress Irene Adler. Written by The Massie Twins imdb.com

The Good:
Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law had awesome chemistry as Holmes (Downey) and Watson (Law). The way Watson cared for Holmes is a given from all the novels written over the years about the two, but in this incarnation Watson just being the caregiver to Holmes wasn’t the main dynamic in the relationship. Guy Richie (the director) showed him just as flawed and adventurous as Holmes if not a little more. In some instances Watson stole scenes that we were meant to be focusing on Holmes. This made the movies story have more flavor to me. You had more to watch then a just brilliant detective who solved crimes to watch. Now you know had this great relationship full of companionship and conflict to savor over and dissect.

My favorite part of the movie is in the various scenes that they introduce Holmes greatest nemesis Moriarty. It wasn’t like Spiderman or X-Men were you had the hero’s having to figure out three different villains at the same time. Richie very slyly worked Moriarty into a devious subplot that baffles even the great Sherlock Holmes until the end.

The acting was superb by the whole cast. At no point did I ever feel like I was taken out of the movie by the acting. The movie had a solid pace that kept me engaged even when the plot thickened, and I started feeling like someone who was in a great conversation but kept missing the point.

The action was gritty and fierce. Downey was excellent as a bare-knuckled boxer in 1800’s England, and Watson showed ample skills with his sword cane.

The movies background was gloomy and course. Richie really out did himself with making you feel like you were looking at what England really looked like in the early 1800’s. When you see Downey boxing and the sweat run down his face as the crowd urges him on in a frenzy you will know what I mean.

The Bad:

Promotion for this movie sucked in my opinion. Yes, there was a media blitz for the movie, but people from the ages 15 to 30 have no idea who Sherlock Holmes is. My own wife (who’s age I won’t say) had no idea who Holmes was and only wanted to see the movie because of Downey and Law. All the commercials did was portray Holmes and Watson as an adventurous crime fighting duo.

There were a ton of people complaining after the movie because they didn’t get what they expected. One guy I heard say he thought it was cool they made Holmes into a detective, WHAT! Where were the comic book tie in’s, and the book store promotions getting people re familiar with the characters? I believe that even thou the movie had some big numbers this weekend; they could have been bigger if more people knew who the character was.

I really don’t have anything harsh to say about the Sherlock Holmes movie other then the reintroduction of the character was horrible. If you’re looking for a fun, smart movie to go see this week I would totally recommend this one.

I would give this 3 out of 5 popcorns

One man for the job but the right man
I definitely had planned to see this movie after it came out but just didnt have the time to see it yet... but from the review above, it looks like a pretty good movie just as i had expected. Hopefully ill get to see it this weekend ^_^

I just saw this movie and couldnt agree more I loved the flashbacks and the slow motion tactic fights!!

Yes, there was a media blitz for the movie, but people from the ages 15 to 30 have no idea who Sherlock Holmes is.
So many things I want to say in response to this ridiculous statement.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

oh```````it is a pity,i didn't watch it...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Brenda picked this as the movie she wanted to see on her birthday, January 1. We always go to a movie she picks on her birthday. This one is probably as good as many she could have picked. I think she chose it because she loves murder mysteries, Robert Downey, Jr. and Sherlock Holmes, probably in that order. I didn't even bother to remind her that it was a Guy Ritchie flick, but I'd have to say that it's as good as any of the director's other films. I didn't find that it destroyed the Holmes of Doyle because it introduced all sorts of seemingly-anti-Holmesian folklore but it basically always corrected what was attempted to conform with the truths of the Detective. So, if you're planning not to see it because you think it's an utter sell-out of tradition, I'm not saying that you should feel 100% happy about how it all turns out, but you should feel good about the fact that about three-fourths of what you fear are all explained or never appear in the finished film. This film certainly doesn't taint its legacy any more than the new, better Star Trek, which apparently is supposed to have the advantage of being sci-fi so it can change things around next flick.

As to what we do get, it's all rather watchable with a mixture of action, suspense, mystery, a touch of romance, and what I would consider far too much CGI. I actually prefer Young Sherlock Holmes to this one, but unlike that Barry Levinson/Chris Columbus concoction, this one will definitely have a sequel since it's a box-office hit and sets up Professor Moriarity as the villain for the next film. Downey is becoming the thoughtful action hero of our time (this plus Iron Man are two franchises, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tropic Thunder II some time soon.) Jude Law is a solid Watson but could have used more screen time. Holmes still has no time for women, whether it's Watson's fiancee or the gorgeous woman (Rachel McAdams) who has the hots for Sherlock even though he constantly denies her, at least to the best of his ability. Mark Strong snarls OK, but as the film stretches out its running time a bit to 128 minutes, he becomes less-powerful as a villain, and he needs more CGI to hold your interest.

I certainly recommend Sherlock Holmes, although it may be better as a future rental than a theatrical experience. In fact, this is one film I might like better at home than at the movies. My rating at the theatre is a high
, but I might think a little better of it if I watch it at home in the future.

When I first heard about Guy Ritchie directing Scherlock Holmes, I got really excited. This film met and exceeded all my expectations! Robert Downey Jr. is an awesome Scherlock Holmes! The movie itself has a good plot, and alot of humor intertwined, surprisingly NO language. Quite a bit of violence though. No sex scenes, although there are a few references.

Dear god, people were really that unfamiliar with Sherlock Holmes? What is this world coming to?

I enjoyed the movie, particularly the acting. The plot kind of rushed past me - though that could have been because of sleep deprivation - but it was still immensely enjoyable. Downey and Law, as was said, had wonderful chemistry and each portrayed a deep, interesting character.

Boring and empty, a few seconds of entertainment here and there but not worth seeing in a cinema.

The few films i watched in 2009 , "The Sharlcok Holmes" is one of them. ROBERT DROWNY JR has played the character brilliantly. This film shows that Sharlock Holmes is still in the heart of all age. Long live Sharlock Holmes .

Boring and empty, a few seconds of entertainment here and there but not worth seeing in a cinema.
Couldn't agree more. In fact, it was so boring, I walked out of the theater after about 40 minutes which I've never done before. Absolute humorless trash. Plus, Robert Downey jr. does the absolute worst English accent I've ever heard.

Well, for better or worse, I'm seeing Sherlock Holmes in a couple of hours. Courtney's a big Holmes fan and we've gotten all the grousing out of the way; we'll both bite our tongues and try to think of it by some other name and hopefully get some mild enjoyment out of it.

So many mixed opinions what do I do. Do I see it or not. I think I will go with the people with the most rep and not see it in the theater.
The rep system works!

As does the "Favourite Movies" (Top Ten) lists. If someone's telling you to go see Sherlock Holmes because it's one of the best movies they've ever seen but their favourite movie is Transformers 2, this should set off some kind of alarm.

I think we'll be seeing this this weekend. I already know I'm gonna dig it.