Films about history and/or historical events:

Tools    

Every once in a while, there are certain films that're about history or historical events that I decide to go and see, not only because they catch my interest, but I figure I might learn something from them, although other movies I've learned from, also.

Historical films I've enjoyed seeing:

A) Schindler's List This is about a tycoon who saved many European Jewish people from extermination during World War II, and, although not a nice guy initially, seemed to develop a sense of character by rescuing people. As the movie progresses, we see Schindler, a very rich and greedy person, evolve into someone of decency as he rescues people from the ovens and the gas chambers. Moreover, this film shows the inhumanity, and how tough overcoming it can be.

B) Z: Just last night, I saw the film Z for the first time, since it came out 40 years ago, and is about a revolution in Greece back in the early 1960's, where a doctor and olympics champion who leads a revolution for a more peaceful government for the people is murdered by "brownshirt" thugs in the street. This, I think, is U. S. Foreign policy at work, and it shows that meddling in other's affairs can and often has backfired horribly.

C) Missing: This is a film that I saw back in the early 1980's, when it first came out, and is about the United States' foreign policy in Latin America, where people were regularly tortured, and disappeared on a regular basis. An idealistic young woman searches for her husband who, as it turns out, has been murdered by right-wing death squads. The woman's father-in-law, always much more conservative, has a change of heart in the wake of his son's death and becomes more idealistic himself. This film, too, is a real indictment of U. S. Foreign policy.

D) State of Siege: State of Siege, which came out afew years later, after the film Z is also a real indictment of United States's foreign policy. It's about an American diplomat who teaches courses down in a South American country (I forget which country, in this and in Missing) on how to torture revolutionaries. Finally, he ends up getting a taste of his own medicine--execution.

E) The Front: This is the one film with Woody Allen in it that I really enjoyed, and it's very, very good film about a guy who acts as a front for blacklisted writers during the witch-hunts in the early 1950's, during the McCarthy period. This, too, is definitely a good film to see.

F) The Other Side of the Mountain: I also read the book on which this film was based, and thought the book was better, but I enjoyed this film about the famous skier, Jill Kinmont, who experiences a devastating fall during the final try-outs for the Olympics, for which Kinmont was definitely a shoo-in, becomes a quadripilegic, goes through extensive and intensive physical therapy and rehabilitation, regains some use of her hands, and then goes on to teach english to elementary school-age children on a nearby Indian reservation. Prior to the injury that left her paralyzed from the chest down, Jill Kinmont has at least a couple of boyfriends; Buddy Werner, who's also a hot-shot skier, who walks away from Jill when he learns the extent of her injuries, and then Dick (Mad Dog) Buek, who's also rather crazy, prone to wild escapades with injuries to show for them. However, unlike Buddy Werner, Dick Buek is a warmhearted, caring person, despite his wildness and crazy escapades, who, loving and caring for Jill Kinmont, encourages her to take her situation as a challenge rather than an obstacle. He'd wanted to marry her, and even designed and planned a house to accomodate Jill, but, unfortunately, Dick Buek dies in a plane crash while doing power stalls over Donner Lake before that happens. Yet, Jill goes on with her life, as hard as it is, teaches Indian children in a nearby reservation, and eventually marries John Boothe, a truck driver. This film is somewhat fictionalized and rendered somewhat more syrupy than the book, but is well worth seeing. To quote an article about it in a local newspaper in our area about Other Side of the Mountain when it first came out, this film/book is, or should be, "an excellent cure for self-pity".

Now, for historical films that I either didn't enjoy seeing, or just plain don't want to see:

A) La Numba: This film, which I saw shortly after 9/11, is also a film that indicts both U. S. and European foreign policy, about how the Belgian Congo managed to get out from under Belgium's rule and become independent, hence becoming the Congo. La Numba ends up being killed. Not a very uplifting film, imho--I admittedly didn't enjoy it, and the fact that we saw it so close on the heels of the horrific 9/11 attacks on NYC's WTC towers didn't help, either.

B) Burn: This was a good, well-done film, that came out 40 years ago, but is not a film that I'd want to see again, either.

C) Rachel: An American Conscience: This is a rather long documentary about Rachel Corrie, a young American peace activist from Olympia, WA, who was fatally mowed down by an Israeli-army operated bulldozer while trying to stop the demolition of an ordinary Palestinian civilian family's (he was a pharmacist, actually, who'd never even been accused of being a terrorist by the IDF) home. I have not seen this film, which is only available on DVD, or Killing Zone, another documentary about this same young woman, because I feel that the history that both these films revolve around is too complex, with too much blame and responsibility to go around on both sides (Israeli and Palestinian alike, imho), and, although Israel needs very much to be made to get out of West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem, I also feel that the group that the late Ms. Corrie was with also bears some responsibility for not protecting her better.

Anyway, that's all for this thread. Has anybody else seen movies about historical events that they've enjoyed? Or not enjoyed, or not wanted to see? Just curious. I know this thread is long, but I'd love some feedback from other posters here.

Z is an excellent film, and I could definitely go for a rewatch. I'd searched for State of Siege forever but couldn't find it. Have you seen:

One of my all time favourites.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Z is an excellent film, and I could definitely go for a rewatch. I'd searched for State of Siege forever but couldn't find it. Have you seen:

One of my all time favourites.
Btw, Harry Lime, have you tried contacting your local public library? Public libraries often have DVD's that're tougher to get in the regular DVD rental market, but they might be able to get it for you from another library if they don't have it, and it's free. However, if you wish to buy any DVD's, you might want to try contacting Amazon and see if they've got what you've been looking for. Also, there's always Netflix, which has tons of movies, if you wish to rent.

When I recently watched the film Billy Jack on the built-in DVD player in my computer, I had a tough time finding that particular movie, and finally went to our local public library, who ended up booking this film for me from another library. It helped and it worked. Good luck--hope I've been of some help here, and that you find what you're looking for.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Nice post WSS, but you seem to have cast your net pretty wide (sports true-stories etc)

Under those criteria we could list all day, from military history to made-for-tv kidnapping flicks

(PS, if you want an alternative from the US being bastards, try Zulu, where the British try to make going all Empire on Africa the noble thing to do )

Btw, Harry Lime, have you tried contacting your local public library?
Absolutely, the library is the best source for classic and foreign films. But that was some years ago and I haven't been using the library as a resource for some time. Gonna change that though, quite a few films I can't find at my local video store.

Also, on the subject of The Battle of Algiers, the Pentagon held screenings of this film before they went into Iraq.

Absolutely, the library is the best source for classic and foreign films. But that was some years ago and I haven't been using the library as a resource for some time. Gonna change that though, quite a few films I can't find at my local video store.

Also, on the subject of The Battle of Algiers, the Pentagon held screenings of this film before they went into Iraq.
Again, all the best of luck, Harry Lime. It's clear that the Pentagon knew exactly what they were doing when they held screenings of "Battle of Algiers" prior to going into Iraq.

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you meant, but they're worth seeing IMO.

The Lives Of Others
Soldier Of Orange
Carve Her Name With Pride
Ghandi
Der Baader Meinhof Komplex (I've not seen this, but it sounds worth a look)
Das Boot

If you're thinking documentaries, then I'd recommend these.

The World At War
Churchill's Bodyguard
Hiroshima
The Nazis: A Warning From History
A History Of Britain
The American Civil War
The People's Century
One Day In September

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you meant, but they're worth seeing IMO.

The Lives Of Others
Soldier Of Orange
Carve Her Name With Pride
Ghandi
Der Baader Meinhof Komplex (I've not seen this, but it sounds worth a look)
Das Boot

If you're thinking documentaries, then I'd recommend these.

The World At War
Churchill's Bodyguard
Hiroshima
The Nazis: A Warning From History
A History Of Britain
The American Civil War
The People's Century
One Day In September
With the exception of Ghandi and Das Boot, as well as One Day in September, most of the movies that you've listed are movies that I've never even heard of, much less seen. However, not withstanding that Ghandi and Das Boot are not movies that I'm interested in seeing, I did see One Day in September, which I thought was very, very good.

I also saw Munich, which was also quite good, although it was certainly done from a different perspective than One Day in September.

Nice post WSS, but you seem to have cast your net pretty wide (sports true-stories etc)

Under those criteria we could list all day, from military history to made-for-tv kidnapping flicks

(PS, if you want an alternative from the US being bastards, try Zulu, where the British try to make going all Empire on Africa the noble thing to do )
Thanks, Golgot. I do expand a lot in my post because there's all kinds of history to be had, ranging from true government policies to sports, etc.

The British, too, have a long history of having blood on their hands, so, even though I've never heard of, much less seen the film Zulu, I'm aware of Britain's part in dominating other people's affairs worldwide. The former USSR also has a long history of world domination, and, in all three instances; the former USSR, the USA and Britain, it's backfired horrendously.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by WSSlover
The British, too, have a long history of having blood on their hands, so, even though I've never heard of, much less seen the film Zulu, I'm aware of Britain's part in dominating other people's affairs worldwide.
I'm afraid my post was slightly facetious, in that Zulu is a somewhat revisionist, semi-glorifying version of a 'Spartan 300' style event in British history. I think you have a penchant for films the dig further into the underbelly of empirical misdemeanors, and as such may not totally dig this. It does have Michael Caine in it tho, if that helps. (Some people consider him a national embarrassment )

What you say about my having a penchant for films that dig deeper into the underbelly of U. S. and European foreign policy may be true, Golgot, but only to a certain point, since I, too have my limits as to what I've really enjoyed, or consider worth going to see. It also depends on the subject matter, and on whether or not I consider it worth investigating furthur. Some films I go to see out of curiosity, due to popularity or to a particular interest in a subject. Other films I've gone to that've been considered good have turned out to be too intense for my liking, just plain upsetting to excess, or have turned out to be quite overrated.

Other films are films that I never wanted or don't want to see. With rare exceptions, for example, movies about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict aren't films that I wish to see, first because they're often either too pro-one-side-or-the-other for my liking, or, as in the case of Rachel: An American Conscience or Killing Zone, martyrdom is made out to be too much of a good thing, imo.

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
Battle of Britain Bought at Walmart for 10 bucks!

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

I find myself in a strange position on this particular topic...having lived some nasty times in Chile before migrating to Australia...

I find I have no issues watching documentaries on the subject...but movies make me break down!

"Missing" wasn't too bad as it was really about one american guy who was murdered while the same thing was happening to thousands of Chileans...so it's a bit "meh!"

"Machuca"...I cannot watch...too close to home...and I know it's a great movie...but I won't be able to handle it...

Life is Beautiful...almost killed me...not about Chile I know...but the theme is the same...

Pan's Labyrinth...that bottle scene at the start broke me and I could not watch the rest...(also not about Chile but that scene is typical of what was put in place there...)

...so yeah...pretty weak hey!?! But such is a life lived I guess!

Every once in a while, there are certain films that're about history or historical events that I decide to go and see, not only because they catch my interest, but I figure I might learn something from them, although other movies I've learned from, also.

Historical films I've enjoyed seeing:

B) Z: This, I think, is U. S. Foreign policy at work, and it shows that meddling in other's affairs can and often has backfired horribly.

C) Missing: is about the United States' foreign policy in Latin America, where people were regularly tortured, and disappeared on a regular basis.

D) State of Siege: State of Siege, which came out afew years later, after the film Z is also a real indictment of United States's foreign policy.

E) The Front: during the witch-hunts in the early 1950's, during the McCarthy period. This, too, is definitely a good film to see.

A) La Numba: a film that indicts both U. S. and European foreign policy
Whoooee, we sure are a bad bunch of felons and low-lifes here in the good ol' USA. And yet each of these exposes of horrible US policies against the innocents of other nations is freely shown in movie houses all across this nation without anyone being beaten, arrested, or otherwise intimidated. In how many of the other countries that were the scenes of all that US barbarity could a movie crew shoot a film critical of that country's government without getting beaten, arrested, or otherwise intimidated? Not a single one.

The Battle of Algiers is an excellent film, shot in a documentary style, that succeeds so well because it doesn't take sides--just tells the story as it happens.