Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Don't want to pile any more work on the host/Yods but maybe we could have a little extra flourish to the countdown entries that are on Mark's ballot as he's sadly no longer here to give them a write-up? Nothing overly flash or anything, maybe just a little graphic touch denoting a "mark f seal of approval" on those particular reveals or something?

'Tis only an off-the-cuff idea, no worries if not adopted.
I like that idea, very fitting.

We might be able to do that. In addition to listing the films on my ballot, I was also going to do the same for the films on mark f's ballot (and maybe post a write-up from him if I can find one in the Reviews tab).
I like that too...

Maybe you or Yoda or Sarah, could find old posts by Mark for each of his 25 ballot films and look for poignant quotes from him that tell of his love or admiration for each of the movies on his ballot. And post those at the appropriate time. That would give his personal touch to his voting ballot and be a nice tribute.

Fingers crossed that the current film at #1 stays at #1.
I was going to indicate either agreement or disagreement, but then I realized that cross-section of your opinion and mine might narrow it down and let people guess what the current #1 film is, so I'll abstain.

That said, we've probably got like 25-30% of the eventual total ballots in so there should be a lot of movement, regardless, before we stop accepting ballots.

It's telling to see that I wasn't the only one to look at the submitted ballots just to see if mark f had submitted one before his passing It says a lot about how much we valued his input here.

Country
USA - 15
New Zealand - 2
U.K. - 2
Belgium - 1
Indonesia - 1
Ireland - 1
Japan - 1
Poland - 1
South Korea - 1

Genre
Drama - 7
Thriller - 5
Comedy - 4
Action - 3
Sci-Fi - 3
Horror - 2
Fantasy - 1

IMDB Score
Highest: 8.5
Lowest: 6.5

Year
2010 - 2
2011 - 3
2012 - 0
2013 - 3
2014 - 3
2015 - 4
2016 - 3
2017 - 2
2018 - 2
2019 - 3

Seven dramas!? I'm getting soft in my old age.
Anyways, like most of us, I'm on team The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure. It's going all the way.

Ok, this is gonna be fun. I went to Letterboxd and made a list of all the 2010s films I've rated 3.5 or more and I ended up with 265 Granted, browsing through the list, I know that half of those have no chance of making my list, but still...

It would never *not* be weirdly interesting to look at a list of ranked films and see two or three films next to each other, same rating, and that on hindsight you feel wildly different now. The roller coaster of reactions goes from "what the hell was I thinking? this should be lower/higher!" or "I don't remember anything about this"

It would never *not* be weirdly interesting to look at a list of ranked films and see two or three films next to each other, same rating, and that on hindsight you feel wildly different now. The roller coaster of reactions goes from "what the hell was I thinking? this should be lower/higher!" or "I don't remember anything about this"
I've had kind of similar experiences while preparing for this.

Each time I've rewatched a movie for this countdown, I've looked up my previous reviews to see how the two experiences compare and my opinions have often stayed the same, but some have changed quite a bit. I also stumbled across one that I have zero recollection of watching. After I rewatched Room, I searched for my previous write up using the name "Abrahamson" since "room" is such a common word. It turns out that I had watched (and liked) a movie from 2018 called The Little Stranger by the same director. Looking at the image I used and reading my write-up didn't jog my memory. Watching the film's trailer and reading a synopsis online didn't ring any bells either. I have no clue.

"I don't remember anything about this"

That's usually my reaction to an old movie rating I've made.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Ok, this is gonna be fun. I went to Letterboxd and made a list of all the 2010s films I've rated 3.5 or more and I ended up with 265 Granted, browsing through the list, I know that half of those have no chance of making my list, but still...
I thought doing this would maybe be a good idea and provide me some relief. Instead it made it even more of a headache

I thought doing this would maybe be a good idea and provide me some relief. Instead it made it even more of a headache
Yeah me too, and the relief was just now, I submitted my list. Felt damn good to be done.

The truth is in here
I actually never rewatch movies for the countdowns. It's all guts. The ones I am very or a little more unsure of tend not to make the cut on my list. But sometimes making an omission is genuinely painful as well and I wish there was more room.

I've had kind of similar experiences while preparing for this.

Each time I've rewatched a movie for this countdown, I've looked up my previous reviews to see how the two experiences compare and my opinions have often stayed the same, but some have changed quite a bit. I also stumbled across one that I have zero recollection of watching. After I rewatched Room, I searched for my previous write up using the name "Abrahamson" since "room" is such a common word. It turns out that I had watched (and liked) a movie from 2018 called The Little Stranger by the same director. Looking at the image I used and reading my write-up didn't jog my memory. Watching the film's trailer and reading a synopsis online didn't ring any bells either. I have no clue.
It's interesting how some films stick with you fiercely, while others just vanish. Even if you had a very positive reaction to it at first, sometimes even more positive than those that end up sticking up with you in the long run.

I mean, I gave Melancholia 4 stars back when I first saw it, and if you ask me now, that's a lock for my list; possibly Top 10. I have it right next to freakin' Hanna, a film I remember enjoying, but can barely recall at all... but based on my recollections, is not a 4-star film, and most definitely not on the same level as Melancholia, so it's definitely a weird exercise.

"I don't remember anything about this"

That's usually my reaction to an old movie rating I've made.
LOL, just a few random ones I rated quite highly and yet I have little to no recollection of them...

Sarah's Key (2010) - 4 stars
The Hunt (2012) - 4 stars
Captain Phillips (2013) - 4 stars
12 Years a Slave (2013) - 4 stars

Oh boy, I can read your whining already

LOL, just a few random ones I rated quite highly and yet I have little to no recollection of them...

Sarah's Key (2010) - 4 stars
The Hunt (2012) - 4 stars
Captain Phillips (2013) - 4 stars
12 Years a Slave (2013) - 4 stars

Wow, those have some strong story lines too (haven't seen Sarah's Key). But I know what you mean, I only have a vague recollection of them and yet I'd give them 4 stars too.