Melodrama Recommendations

Tools    

The trick is not minding
I, for one, find it hard to believe that, provided you have Brokeback Mountain in your TOP 10, you have anything of value to contribute to this thread. Especially since you've already posted several times and haven't included a single recommendation.
My questions were legitimate, as I don’t understand why you would make a thread rather than just look this up yourself considering the chances of any of us recommending a film that you A) haven’t seen or B) aren’t going to arbitrarily swipe away are very low. This isn’t a dig at you, as I don’t expect someone who claims to have watched as many films as you would find much of value from us, and the posts support that

I could also counter This coming from the guy who put Beyond the Black Rainbow and Star Crash among his recent top 300.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
All the same, I'd appreciate it if you stopped derailing the thread.

Your posts would've been much more helpful if you recommended at least one melodrama you hold dear to your heart, even if that's Brokeback Mountain.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I don't know.
Germany Year Zero?

You've probably already seen it and since it's been so long since I've seen it, I can't fully remember if it qualifies as a melodrama.
I also suspect you've seen Dancer in the Dark.

This thread is becoming a melodrama.

not the kind of melodrama I'm looking for, though.

What is your definition of melodrama?

Might I recommend a mellow-drama (e.g., Meet Joe Black)?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Between Two Dawns
Donbass
Burden
Not Okay
Slow Dancing in the Big City
Poodle Springs
Don't Make Me Go
The Legend of Molly Johnson
Playground (2021)
Dark Angel (1935)
Death Takes a Holiday (1934)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Lately, I've been into weepies, sentimental melodramas about love and family, and all that jazz.

Recommend me the best films like that.

Waterloo Bridge (1940)
Random Harvest (1942)
Miracle in the Rain (1956)
An Affair to Remember (1957)
Charly (1968)
Message in a Bottle (1999)
A Walk To Remember (2002)

These are also good if you like sports films that make you cry, (these are more about the people than the sports):

The Champ (1931)
The Pride of the Yankees (1942)
Brian's Song (1971)
Bang the Drum Slowly (1973)
The Champ (1979)

Decided to watch something from your recommendations, guys, so I made a pick from the highest repped post by @gbgoodies. Because highest repped means it recommends the best films, right? RIGHT?!

A Walk to Remember (2002)

Listen, this might be a burn worthy of a 10-year-old, but all my ten brain cells found it funny.

Oh boy, I'm genuinely surprised this film doesn't have 'Comedy' listed along 'Melodrama' and 'Romance' in its main genres. I had my fair dose of laughs watching the first part of it, and I really thought it was supposed to be funny and clumsy like that, but apparently, it was unintended?! Oh well, the second part is much worse. The fun is over and I'm left with that by-the-book chick flick melodrama that just doesn't work. I mean, it's not like the worst film ever. I've seen far worse films. It's just that I don't really care about it. And I should because I'm really into
WARNING: spoilers below
angelic girls on their deathbed.

I thought the way it was handled was really rote, though. Also, that part about the book not being the Bible and reading from it was soooo on the nose. And when he
WARNING: spoilers below
asked her to marry him,
it was all that fun from the first part all over again. Like, how corny, cheesy, crazy is that?! This dude is smug and ballsy af and another proof THIS is exactly what gets you chicks. Just confronting her dad and using his Speech Level 100 to make him agree. Holy balls. He's also a sheety bully, too, but yeah, the girl changes him and all that cliche stuff. I actually didn't like that. I'd love to see him either be good from the very beginning or be a bully all throughout and maybe just try to use her even though he knows her secret. Now that would've been so evil! Anyway, I didn't care about it as melodrama but found it moderately entertaining as an unintended comedy.

But just to not be all negative, I actually had seen The Champ (1931) before and really liked it. So there's that.

Watched Death Takes a Holiday (1934) recommended by @mark f

Things I liked:
• The depiction of death at the beginning of the film
• The visuals
• The premise

Things I didn't like:
• Nice premise but could've been made better / more interesting
• Unbearably sappy at times (especially in the last third)
• Felt too slight and rushed

All in all, watchable, but not what I'm looking for.

I’m Sorry I Love You
Be prepared for: Plot twists involving an orphan, evil mother, tragic love story, and someone getting shot in the end. It doesn’t get more dramatic than this.

Also I can reccomend you Secret Love Affair